Best DCI Ballad Ever

These best of all time topics are really tough.....have to remember we are drawing on 40 years of performances.....

But...I will play along...and say the best overall ballad dci corps is Phantom Regiment. Shoot...they even had cd's out called Phantom ballads....

The absolute best ballad closer of all time is - 1979 & 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

Let It Be Me

Topic Closed

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I personally had a huge adoration for the Blue Devils 2016 show's closing "ballad". This was not their "ballad", but it was a slow segment of a song that I fell in love with after hearing it for the first time. They played Phillip Glass's ''Mishima'' and not only is it pretty when they played it, but i found a string quartet play it, and that is what I fell in love with the most ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiU69HJkdbXAhUFc98KHdvYAKMQtwIIMTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_4XMeY1RkWQ&usg=AOvVaw39FR230l4BfeMWPxQn0FrK )

i can't speak for "best ever", just my favorite.

and as many ballads as i've loved, none hold a candle to phantom 93

i know it's been recorded several times with Bb horns since then, but the G arrangement just shines:

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

SVC 1999: Samuel Barber's Symphony No. 1, movement 3. The music is transfixing, the performance commanding, and the staging masterful, especially the counter-intuitive work of the guard. The interpretation is mature and austere, with none of the maudlin or literal qualities that too often afflict ballads. 

I am surprised no one has mentioned this piece. I am spellbound every time I watch it, and always have a tear in my eye by the end. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2012 at 7:17 PM, fsubone said:

You mean On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss? That is a great one, I think they still do it for encore from time to time

Ummmmm.... "It Is Well With My Soul" is the hymn composed by Philip Bliss in which Holsinger used for his piece.

Send In The Clowns.

*drops mic*

I will say, Elsa’s Theme still remains as the one ballad I continue to go back to time and again when I want to feel the unique power and emotion of drum corps. 

Edited by MikeRapp