Before you marched

So, I suppose it's safe to say that we are all lifelong fans/supporters/staff/members, etc. on this board. I'll ask you to reset your memory for a moment to when you were first struck by drum corps. My first exposure was hearing during marching band rehearsal in high school that the PBS broadcast was to air that weekend. I had NO clue whatsoever what DCI was at the time. I was floored. I was part of a fairly well-known/respected marching band, but I thought these folks were doing the impossible, and I wanted to be a part.

Fast forward several years when I join Crown and learn the hard yet rewarding lesson these amazing and seemingly impossible things aren't impossible, but they are HARD and they HURT. I'll never EVER say I regret my time marching, but one thing I wish I could get back is the fresh perspective where everything is new and amazing. I still love drum corps and still watch every show every year, and while I find plenty of it impressive and awe-inspiring, I feel like the pure amazement is gone forever. Thoughts?

• Like 3

So, I suppose it's safe to say that we are all lifelong fans/supporters/staff/members, etc. on this board. I'll ask you to reset your memory for a moment to when you were first struck by drum corps. My first exposure was hearing during marching band rehearsal in high school that the PBS broadcast was to air that weekend. I had NO clue whatsoever what DCI was at the time. I was floored. I was part of a fairly well-known/respected marching band, but I thought these folks were doing the impossible, and I wanted to be a part.

Fast forward several years when I join Crown and learn the hard yet rewarding lesson these amazing and seemingly impossible things aren't impossible, but they are HARD and they HURT. I'll never EVER say I regret my time marching, but one thing I wish I could get back is the fresh perspective where everything is new and amazing. I still love drum corps and still watch every show every year, and while I find plenty of it impressive and awe-inspiring, I feel like the pure amazement is gone forever. Thoughts?

I was first exposed to drum corps by my band director. He ordered the finals tapes from DCI - this was around 1978. We took a trip up to Denver for DOTR in 1979 and I was hooked. I haven't completely lost the amazement though. There are many many parts of modern drum corps that make me cringe but the basic awe is still there for the most part. Great horns and drums are timeless.

• Like 2

I was first exposed to drum corps when I joined. Had never seen a corps before that. The first show I saw was the first show I marched in.

• Like 1

Back in high school, I saw a video of a drum corps being played in my band director's office (I would later find out that this show was Cavaliers 2004). I looked up the corps when I got home, then long story short, I stumbled upon the video of Vanguard's 1989 show. Hooked from that point on.

I would definitely agree that, for me, that 'wow' factor is gone. Doesn't mean it's any less impressive. It's just that, after having marched two seasons, I knew so much more about what went into making these shows what they are. Because of that, it also made it a LOT easier for me to pick out errors in other shows. We get trained to not make these errors, and so it becomes that much more obvious when we see somebody else make the same mistake.

FIrst exposed in HS.

I was wowed by just about anything. Now that I have taught bands, and marched drum corps... all I see is dirt, and all I do is critique shows. Lol. But I do let myself get entertained every once in a while. And I am still amazed at a few things. But not much.

FIrst exposed in HS.

I was wowed by just about anything. Now that I have taught bands, and marched drum corps... all I see is dirt, and all I do is critique shows. Lol. But I do let myself get entertained every once in a while. And I am still amazed at a few things. But not much.

i have been in the activity for decades and decades and decades,,,,lol..im one of those 70s marchers but still teach WC today..I also judge so I have to be critical at times BUT Its to bad you cant just sit and watch without critique..I seperate myself when I can and sit and watch..do I see the crap on the field....sure BUT try to appreciate whats out there.........shows today , even though Im involved still amaze me...its when someone is still dirty in AUG that TICs me off..lol....i was one of those members that went to their 1st drum corps rehearsal kicking and screaming..I really didnt want to be there , was a family thing many decades before me , many family members including parents and grandparents but here I am many decades later..lol :blink:

Marching kind of ruined it for me. I thought if I can do it it must not be that hard..... :tongue:

Made me think of that quote by Groucho...."I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

2485658848_4018cebbd0.jpg

..with the beautiful Thelma Todd (talk about a tragic life!!!)

it is similar for me...

I saw videos in HS, first live show was 2003 West Chester at George Parks Drum Major Academy. Was in awe of every single corps. Since I marched my two years, I am a lot more critical and no longer have the "wow, that is amazing!" feeling when I watch. It's unfortunate. I also teach HS band some (I have a non-music related day job) so there I watch everything with a critical eye.

My Dad took me to my first drum corps show in 2005. The Houston show. I was absolutely amazed and knew I wanted to be a part of it. 3 years later I was. I remember Madison won that show with their Carmen production. I was heartbroken to find out they don't have a girl in the show every year. :inlove:

• Like 1