nightBEAT 2012

Question about this photo: The last show I got to see was Minneapolis and I can tell just by the closing set that SCV changed their closer. Now I really hope my memory isn't going already but I only remember 4 cymbal players at the Minnesota regional. Also, as far back as I can remember, I've only seen SCV with 4 cymbal players. Who's the 5th? Does a member of the pit pick up a pair and march out to complete that final set? Anyone?

I noticed this too. They marched 4 cymbals and I am pretty sure I saw a fifth ran out just for the final set.

Just got home and saw the recaps.My god man, Mike Davis was all over the place with the drum scores. We sat next to a few drummers from BD while watching Crown's show and it was fun to listen to them cheering on Crowns drum line. Sounds like a lot of the kids know each other.

• Like 1

Do you think if the judges from yesterday judged tonight that the captions would be this different. I am mainly talkin about percussion(not one placement is the same as the night before) I understand different panel and consistency of shows. If you pay attention to brass scores BD and CC are the only ones close to scores they got the night before and eveyon else was .5 to 1 point lower in brass.

I would ignore the exact scores in the subcaptions. Crown and BD got about the same scores because they are at the top and they are "setting the curve" so to speak. The other corps had more room to spread out. The extra room to define gaps between corps (and not just rank them with 0.1 gaps) means the corps at the bottom will end up with lower scores in smaller shows.

But yeah, it's clear the different percussion judges have strikingly different opinions on Crown, BD, Cadets, Bloo's, and SCV's relative performances. How much of that has to do with where they are at different times in the show?

witchcraft is far too modern an invention for pyramids. monty python and the holy grail was released in 1975 ! wow -- i'm just flabbergasted.

Ah yes. You're correct, I forgot as that was a couple decades before my time. Forgive my young misinformed brain. I blame the education system.

Very bunched up scores. BD-Crown, Cadets-regiment, Vanguard-coats, cavaliers-Boston.

I was hoping Cadets would get higher percussion marks, but the judge wasn't that impressed by their book. Cadets guard might be on the cusp of rising to 3rd, but effect and marching still hold the corps back.

Big congratulations to Crown, I hope they keep it up!!

Watched SCV's show from Atlanta today. Saw they have made a ton of changes to both the brass book and design book since San Antonio. Not surprised they are scoring lower in achievement/performance areas, very surprised that their comp/rep scores are NOT going up.

Also, I can not understand the discrepancy in percussion scores. Trying to understand how scores are making changes as big as 1.5 point swings over a single day (not even single show) ie: Cadets scoring a 17.7 and taking third place by .40 points one night after they scored an 18.4 and took first place by .30 points. (against all the same corps.) Do they need to train these judges on what to listen for and what not to? It seems weird to me. Especially since The Cadets had never beat BD/SCV head to head before Atl.

I'm glad for the organization that the show was success.....I guess in the neighborhood of 7000 people in attendance. As far as complaints about the stadium.....What do you expect from a facility that was built in 1939? yes it's a pain getting into and out of your seats. But unfortunately (currently) there are no better places to hold the event (the NFL stadium will NEVER happen). Now with that said...the local university is building a football stadium- now could that be a possibility in future years? Time will tell.

One thing no one has mentioned......the field timps/ bass in "Fanfare" were DEAD LOCKED IN from my side A 45 yard line (back against the press box) seat location.

• Like 1