Muchachos disqualfication controversy

Im afraid that the ugly fans will rear their heads again next year when a corps uses A&E

and anyone that uses it will DESERVE it!

Im afraid that the ugly fans will rear their heads again next year when a corps uses A&E, and im sure the Cadets will bear the brunt of it.

My guess is that there will be a few idiots out there whose brains are where they sit, but I doubt you'll hear a lot of booing.

And of course the Cadets may bear a lot of it, esp if they actually USE amps.

Mike

yea, what a shame, they fuggin cheated!.....and for your info, the justice was that the Cavaliers were booed mercifully when announced on the starting line at Finals....but by the time the opener of Russian Christmas Music was complete, the boo's turned into a standing ovation after an emotional performance of it.

Real justice and class there eh?

UGH

Wow, MAJOR flashbacks here..

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1976 remembering vividly standing on the starting line at DCI finals hearing all the boo's and having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at us. I remember marching to the back of the field (a group of Muchacho's were grouped in the back upper deck stands in the front rows) and a mouth piece hit my horn denting it. Couldn't believe someone actually threw their mouth piece at us! It was raining hot dogs, coins, paper cups, everything...

Inspiring, yes. We played our butts off. In fact, the boo's inspired us in prelims too. We took 5th overall, 4th in horns. Pretty good during those "tougher" days in Cavalier history. But in finals, some judge made some questionable scores and we fell to 7th with 27th and Bridgemen beating us.

After finale, as we walked to our busses, some words were exchanged between some Muchacho's and us. Also, some idiot put their busses right next to ours. Let's just say that the words being said are not printable on this site. At one point we had enough and some of the "older" guys told us to take our shirts off and get off the busses but cooler heads prevailed and corp management to us to sit our butts down, the busses were started and we were out of there. Good thing too. Remember, we were 128 guys mostly from Chicago. They had a few guys but some girls were amoungst their ranks too. It would have been ugly!!!

Not one of the more "prettier" times in drum corp history.

I have heard the story many times but never by soemone who was there.

Thanks for the story even though you'd rather not remember it.

yea, what a shame, they fuggin cheated!.....and for your info, the justice was that the Cavaliers were booed mercifully when announced on the starting line at Finals....but by the time the opener of Russian Christmas Music was complete, the boo's turned into a standing ovation after an emotional performance of it.

Real justice and class there eh?

UGH

Wow, MAJOR flashbacks here..

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1976 remembering vividly standing on the starting line at DCI finals hearing all the boo's and having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at us. I remember marching to the back of the field (a group of Muchacho's were grouped in the back upper deck stands in the front rows) and a mouth piece hit my horn denting it. Couldn't believe someone actually threw their mouth piece at us! It was raining hot dogs, coins, paper cups, everything...

Inspiring, yes. We played our butts off. In fact, the boo's inspired us in prelims too. We took 5th overall, 4th in horns. Pretty good during those "tougher" days in Cavalier history. But in finals, some judge made some questionable scores and we fell to 7th with 27th and Bridgemen beating us.

After finale, as we walked to our busses, some words were exchanged between some Muchacho's and us. Also, some idiot put their busses right next to ours. Let's just say that the words being said are not printable on this site. At one point we had enough and some of the "older" guys told us to take our shirts off and get off the busses but cooler heads prevailed and corp management to us to sit our butts down, the busses were started and we were out of there. Good thing too. Remember, we were 128 guys mostly from Chicago. They had a few guys but some girls were amoungst their ranks too. It would have been ugly!!!

Not one of the more "prettier" times in drum corp history.

well, I will say this..............to this day, when I either listen, or especially watch the video of '75, I get BIGTIME chills imagining how the kids in the Corps felt like on the field, and how they responded in the performance of the opener.

In a word.............

"INSPIRING"

The fact that the Cavies that year had a VERY low average age, and could have been easily destroyed by the crowd response, it was a special moment for those of us that were there.

HUGE kudos for the Cavies for doing what was right.

There is NO place for "rule breakers".

I have an incredible cassette tape I made of the show from the 50-yard line toward the back of the lower tier. The upper tier overhang makes that position like an echo chamber and the horn sound is fantastic. The crowd response to Kievit's solo in the opener is deafening. Makes your heart pound. I was reminded of that show when I saw Madison there (Franklin Field) in 2001 . . . similar crowd response.

Has it ever been verified that they won Prelims (not Semis . . . please)? I've never heard a score for that show. Their GE score would have been very high, but a guy in the corps (who was also, believe it or not, in SCV '72 and '74) told me they felt they were dirty that day . . . hard to say if they would have beaten Madison, not to mention SCV and BD.

Overall '75 was a great year for the top corps, esp. if you include Hawthorne. 2-7 was exciting, too, as was Oakland in Prelims.

Edited by emcc

The fact that the Cavies that year had a VERY low average age, and could have been easily destroyed by the crowd response, it was a special moment for those of us that were there.

If I remember right, I think the ave. age was around 15 or 16. BIG difference from these days, huh?

Has it ever been verified that they won Prelims (not Semis . . . please)? I've never heard a score for that show. Their GE score would have been very high, but a guy in the corps (who was also, believe it or not, in SCV '72 and '74) told me they felt they were dirty that day . . . hard to say if they would have beaten Madison, not to mention SCV and BD.

According to corpsreps.com, they DID participate in prelims, but their score was never released. Anyone else?

A lot of young guys in Green were tauhgt how to use thier buckles as weapons that night. A lot of old guys were happy that they had kept the edges ready. :P

hahaha

We had similar belts to what the Cavies had...they did make great weapons when needed!!!!

Well the Machachos sound like they were a pretty classless act! I feel bad for the kids that didn't know, but if you don't do backround checks then you have only yourselves to blame! That's appauling that they were behaving in such a manner at finals. DCI should have prohibited anyone who had anything to do with the Machachos from enterting the stadium that night!

Why were they not on the 1974 DVD tho?