Muchachos disqualfication controversy

Has it ever been verified that they won Prelims (not Semis . . . please)?  I've never heard a score for that show.  Their GE score would have been very high, but a guy in the corps (who was also, believe it or not, in SCV '72 and '74) told me they felt they were dirty that day . . . hard to say if they would have beaten Madison, not to mention SCV and BD.

According to corpsreps.com, they DID participate in prelims, but their score was never released. Anyone else?

Score was never released. And no video exists at least to my knowledge. And believe me I have tried to get it.

It's funny how everytime this Muchachos thing gets started the story morphs. I've heard it was the Cavaliers, sometimes it's Troopers and sometimes it's SCV/Royer who get blamed. Funny too because Muchachos were not the only corps embroiled in this. The whole top 12 was under the microscope ... and people tend to forget that.

I wonder ... had they won that night (or even won prelims for that matter) how sweet a victory might that have been knowing (and we know they knew) that they cheated to achieve it ... how would they reflect on that now? With pride? Doubtful. And what about the corps that DID win and WOULDN't have had the Muchachos competed and actually won. It would suck to be a 75 Scout then wouldn't it? What if the cheating hadn't been discovered until after finals ... what impact might that have had on a then very young DCI organization? Maybe it would have folded and we'd all be doing color-pre again ... or whatever, who knows.

I remember the booing, being hassled in the parking lot, feeling threatened, the spitting and throwing of things ... and I remember thinking that they should be blaming their management.

I also remember someone playing notes from a Muchachos solo in the stands that night and I thought (and still do) how bittersweet and lovely that really was ... like a reminder of what was beautiful and powerful about the Muchachos that year.

Has it ever been verified that they won Prelims (not Semis . . . please)?  I've never heard a score for that show. 

According to corpsreps.com, they DID participate in prelims, but their score was never released. Anyone else?

Thanks for the reply, but I already knew they participated in prelims (that's the tape I made that I talked about).

1. It's funny how everytime this Muchachos thing gets started the story morphs.  I've heard it was the Cavaliers, sometimes it's Troopers and sometimes it's SCV/Royer who get blamed. 

2. I also remember someone playing notes from a Muchachos solo in the stands that night and I thought (and still do) how bittersweet and lovely that really was ... like a reminder of what was beautiful and powerful about the Muchachos that year.

1. It was the Cavaliers.

2. That "someone" was Jeff Kievit . . . no big deal . . . just the greatest horn soloist in the history of drum corps, that's all.

I remember hearing Jeff play the "Call to the Bulls" right after all the finalists had assembled on the field for the scores. It made my heart ache hearing him do that. BTW, Kievit took the trophy for best soprano in the first ever I&E competition in DCI history.

Jim Wolf 71-77 N. J. Black Watch

Has it ever been verified that they won Prelims (not Semis . . . please)?  I've never heard a score for that show.  Their GE score would have been very high, but a guy in the corps (who was also, believe it or not, in SCV '72 and '74) told me they felt they were dirty that day . . . hard to say if they would have beaten Madison, not to mention SCV and BD.

Score was never released. And no video exists at least to my knowledge. And believe me I have tried to get it.

If you were a corps director of one of the top 6 corps, you would have seen it. The sheets were destroyed shortly afterwards. I know its sexy to think Hawthorne won, but the facts as relayed to me by someone in the above named grp of directors, is that Madison won.

Edited by dans24103

It's funny how everytime this Muchachos thing gets started the story morphs. I've heard it was the Cavaliers, sometimes it's Troopers and sometimes it's SCV/Royer who get blamed. Funny too because Muchachos were not the only corps embroiled in this. The whole top 12 was under the microscope ... and people tend to forget that.

I wonder ... had they won that night (or even won prelims for that matter) how sweet a victory might that have been knowing (and we know they knew) that they cheated to achieve it ... how would they reflect on that now? With pride? Doubtful. And what about the corps that DID win and WOULDN't have had the Muchachos competed and actually won. It would suck to be a 75 Scout then wouldn't it? What if the cheating hadn't been discovered until after finals ... what impact might that have had on a then very young DCI organization? Maybe it would have folded and we'd all be doing color-pre again ... or whatever, who knows.

I remember the booing, being hassled in the parking lot, feeling threatened, the spitting and throwing of things ... and I remember thinking that they should be blaming their management.

I also remember someone playing notes from a Muchachos solo in the stands that night and I thought (and still do) how bittersweet and lovely that really was ... like a reminder of what was beautiful and powerful about the Muchachos that year.

My parents were in the stands that night and recorded the show with a cassette recorder, including the finale with Kevits solo. He did it after we were announced in first, right when our score was announced. Classless indeed.

Dan Guensey

Madison Scouts, 1971-1977

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

of course it's mysterious.......if sheets were detroyed and corps are "mysteriously" absent from videos and DCI keep sclosed mouthed about the subject, people are left wondering who/what/why..................hense rumors and al the " I think, I know, I was there....."

Also, why do people today assume that they were the number 1-2 corps? Way too much "mystique" is made of this thing.

Dan Guernsey

Madison Scouts, 1971-1977

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

Because they were f-ing good. Although, as I said, they'd have had a hard time beating Madison and even SCV and BD. Mucs had great horns/drums and lots of excitement, but the drill was nothing compared with those 3, or 2-7. And Madison was cleaner all the way around. Maybe, just maybe, they were 2nd in Prelims. Can't we get one of those top 6 directors who saw the sheets to fess up? Of course, some aren't around anymore. We need a Warren Commission investigation.

By the way, what was Madison's concert in '71? It was a short, jazzy thing. Was it also from a fantasy movie, like the other tunes that year?