Muchachos disqualfication controversy

Also, why do people today assume that they were the number 1-2 corps? Way too much "mystique" is made of this thing.

Dan Guernsey

Madison Scouts, 1971-1977

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

Because they were f-ing good. Although, as I said, they'd have had a hard time beating Madison and even SCV and BD. Mucs had great horns/drums and lots of excitement, but the drill was nothing compared with those 3, or 2-7. And Madison was cleaner all the way around. Maybe, just maybe, they were 2nd in Prelims. Can't we get one of those top 6 directors who saw the sheets to fess up? Of course, some aren't around anymore. We need a Warren Commission investigation.

By the way, what was Madison's concert in '71? It was a short, jazzy thing. Was it also from a fantasy movie, like the other tunes that year?

I think concert was Alice in Wonderland. The short jazzy thing you refer to was a 16 bar transition of Yankee Doodle. Madison used it alternately over the next few years as a back sideline warm up.

Also, why do people today assume that they were the number 1-2 corps? Way too much "mystique" is made of this thing.

Dan Guernsey

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

Because they were f-ing good. Although, as I said, they'd have had a hard time beating Madison and even SCV and BD. Mucs had great horns/drums and lots of excitement, but the drill was nothing compared with those 3, or 2-7. And Madison was cleaner all the way around. Maybe, just maybe, they were 2nd in Prelims. Can't we get one of those top 6 directors who saw the sheets to fess up? Of course, some aren't around anymore. We need a Warren Commission investigation.

By the way, what was Madison's concert in '71? It was a short, jazzy thing. Was it also from a fantasy movie, like the other tunes that year?

I think concert was Alice in Wonderland. The short jazzy thing you refer to was a 16 bar transition of Yankee Doodle. Madison used it alternately over the next few years as a back sideline warm up.

Concert (jazz piece) was a Ray Baumgardt original score. He worked in a transition from that piece to Alice in Wonderland.

Dan

Dan Guernsey

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

The "jazz" piece I'm thinking of isn't the jazzed up Yanky Doodle Dandy, but the other piece that we played right after that for concert (that piece was the Ray Baumgardt orginal score I alluded to). It didn't have a name, so I don't know what the helll to call it.

Dan

[The "jazz" piece I'm thinking of isn't the jazzed up Yanky Doodle Dandy, but the other piece that we played right after that for concert (that piece was the Ray Baumgardt orginal score I alluded to). It didn't have a name, so I don't know what the helll to call it.

Dan

That was a helluva little number . . . there was some real screaming going on there. Was that you, Dan? I've got the World Open album, which is great because it has Argonne, too. When I saw the Scouts playing JCS in '99, I yelled, "Go, Argonne", and nobody knew what I was talking about. Oh, well.

You were lucky to be marching in '71 . . . what a great year in corps history.

Ed

[The "jazz" piece I'm thinking of isn't the jazzed up Yanky Doodle Dandy, but the other piece that we played right after that for concert (that piece was the Ray Baumgardt orginal score I alluded to). It didn't have a name, so I don't know what the helll to call it.

Dan

That was a helluva little number . . . there was some real screaming going on there. Was that you, Dan? I've got the World Open album, which is great because it has Argonne, too. When I saw the Scouts playing JCS in '99, I yelled, "Go, Argonne", and nobody knew what I was talking about. Oh, well.

Ed

I was marching in 71, but not with Madison!! We were getting our butts kicked by them! I really started to become a fan in 73. And finally joined in 77. The screamer for Madison back then was none other than the great Chris Metzger.

Dan

Ed

I was marching in 71, but not with Madison!! We were getting our butts kicked by them! I really started to become a fan in 73. And finally joined in 77. The screamer for Madison back then was none other than the great Chris Metzger.

Thanks, dans24103. I was actually asking Dan Guernsey, another poster, about Madison '71, because his signature says he was in the corps then. I guess you guys must have known each other in '77.

Yeah, Metzger was great. He, Kievit, Diamond Jim Brady, and Al Chez were the best I've ever heard, and all from about the same era, and 3 are from north Jersey!!

But was Metzger in the corps in '71?

Dan

Ed

Thanks, dans24103. I was actually asking Dan Guernsey, another poster, about Madison '71, because his signature says he was in the corps then. I guess you guys must have known each other in '77.

Yeah, Metzger was great. He, Kievit, Diamond Jim Brady, and Al Chez were the best I've ever heard, and all from about the same era, and 3 are from north Jersey!!

But was Metzger in the corps in '71?

Yes, Chris Metzger was a lead sop in 1971. We were in the Junior Scouts together in 1970, went up together in the MadCity Scouts in 1971, and aged out together in 1977. I hooked up with Chris about two weeks ago--the guy still rocks on horn!!

As for me, I was in the guard in 1971 as one of the 7 dwarfs in that "Alice" show (blushing, hide my head in the sand :-)). '71 was an interesting year, but I was glad that we changed to the "He-Man" Scouts of 1973-1975.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Dan. Glad to see the Scouts back in Finals, btw. They really changed their approach this year. The show didn't have the impact that it usually does, but perhaps it helped them get higher scores. I prefer the impact over the higher scores. Maybe they can combine both next year.

Heard many versions from those who were there. Don't choose to believe anything without more proof, but in this case it is fun to speculate.

1) Troopers wanted in at 12th place. Why not get Muchachos biggest rival to do the dirty deed? Enter the Cavaliers.

2) The Muchachos were FAR from being the only corps to march overaged members back then.

3) I've heard from different people who saw the recaps that they won, that they came in 2nd, and that they came in 3rd. Not sure which to believe, but then again why destroy the recaps if they didn't win?? Hmmm, mysterious indeed.

Edited by lucas97