I feel like the +/- Police

supersop

It's gotten crazy how the +/- feature is being used now. For one, DCP is not a popularity contest. Secondly, discrediting someones post with a minus because they are critical of your corps .... or because you just don't like that person ... it's pretty lame.

I find myself going thru threads and adding a + to those with a -1 on a perfectly legit statement or opinion or question .. or even reposting someone elses tweets. Sadly, I keep seeing the same people with a -1 on every post ... and they're not even posting anything controversial. It's like someones personal vendetta to find that persons posts and minus them no matter what it says.

I'm not sure the original intent of this feature is how it's being used. Nor, do I understand the importance of it. If anything, it's just causing more drama (which we already have plenty of).

I would suggest .. if this feature is to stay on this forum .. make it transparent. Let's see who is doing the + and -. Otherwise, the feature should just be tanked.

• Like 5

I'm going to move this over to the Service Center - think it fits there better.

the intent of the +/- is to allow folks to give a quick 'virtual nod' to a post, and quick feedback on contributions. generally it has been used and appreciated appropriately by the majority of folks, but no question some abuse it.

quick notes:

- we CAN see who gives the +/-.

- people have been suspended or banned for blatant abuse of the feature.

- some posts truly DO deserve a large number of negatives or positives. Typically either are deserved, and the ones netting high negative are easily noticed or typically reported, and scrutinized by the moderating team.

Hope this helps -

z

Sorry, I've been abusing my + button :lookaround:

I'm going to move this over to the Service Center - think it fits there better.

the intent of the +/- is to allow folks to give a quick 'virtual nod' to a post, and quick feedback on contributions. generally it has been used and appreciated appropriately by the majority of folks, but no question some abuse it.

quick notes:

- we CAN see who gives the +/-.

- people have been suspended or banned for blatant abuse of the feature.

- some posts truly DO deserve a large number of negatives or positives. Typically either are deserved, and the ones netting high negative are easily noticed or typically reported, and scrutinized by the moderating team.

Hope this helps -

z

• Like 1

Quick - there's still time to right the wrong!!

Just go out and mash the - an equal number of times to even things out. :tongue:

unfortunately folks do get fixated on numbers too much sometime, and there are some to take things too far, but the majority of you 'get it' and use it/appreciate it in the manner it was intended. and i find it a useful tool (JD) when reviewing histories of the naughty folk, on an off the grid.

I wonder... is there any way to keep the +/- count hidden up to a certain value? Like +5/-5? I think that would help -1/+1 here and there from being distracting to OCD/ADD people like myself, but it would call out particularly good or bad posts to general attention. It would also quiet down the "WHAT? Who gave me minus one for posting *that*?!?" etc etc.

I find myself doing much of the same, with most cases being when someone may ask a controversial question or bring up a potentially touchy subject matter from an entirely inquisitive point of view (for example: Corps A beat Corps B in Caption 1 x points but then Corps B beat Corps A in seemingly related Caption 2 by y points). A lot of times I'll see these posts with a negative, presumably because people will assume the question is being posed from a malicious point of view, when in reality I find that the people who ask these questions may be slightly uneducated in the topic or don't know the full story. Silly me for thinking that the point of a discussion board was to actually discuss said items and potentially help others understand something with which they may be having difficulty understanding. I usually end up trying to balance out the +/- by adding a + back to those posts, though thankfully someone usually does reply with a pretty great answer for the OP, which is one of the great things about DCP.

I do suppose at times I may be slightly guilty of using the negative reputation, mostly in cases when certain posters reply with a three word sentence which adds nothing other than an additional post to their already ridiculous post count. I think I subconsciously -1 those posts because they add unnecessary filler that we all have to read through.

I guess I do have one question - is there any way to restrict who can use the +/- feature like some websites do? Perhaps restricted to posters who have attained a certain + level, say of 100? And no, I do not even nearly qualify for that, so the question is not coming from a selfish place.

I've been adding + to posts also, I have no clue the rhyme or reason of this +/- feature..its really being used as just a popularity contest and yet another reason for histilities and conflict in these already delicate forums.

We should get rid of this feature.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

that my number is positive truly shows people don't use it properly

:tongue:

• Like 1