I love Blue Devils!

I love what BD is doing and has done in recent years especially in respect to pushing the envelope and playing out jazz etc.

If you have any negative comments then just go away you are not welcome here. This isn't a debate it's a discussion about what you like about this years BD show and which ones from the past you would like to see revisited or just to talk about.

• Like 6

I love what BD is doing and has done in recent years especially in respect to pushing the envelope and playing out jazz etc.

If you have any negative comments then just go away you are not welcome here. This isn't a debate it's a discussion about what you like about this years BD show and which ones from the past you would like to see revisited or just to talk about.

Anything that actually rivals 2003 Blue Devils.

What Blue Devils are doing this year is innovative. Like any art form, some will like it, some won't. What good art does is invoke an opinion - not indifference. For that, BD proves, once again, that they're champions at the art of drum corps.

You may not being singing their show music in the shower, but anyone can share an appreciation for how well they perform. All they've done is execute beautifully since their 1st show of the year.

I commend BD for their excellence!!!

• Like 6

One of the cool aspects of BD's show that I haven't seen a lot of people talk about is the progress the corps makes. They start the show without full uniforms on and a lot of chaos musically and visually. As they go through the show things get less chaotic until finally they BECOME the Blue Devils of the past with their full uniforms on and their awesome rendition of Bird and Bela in B Flat.

I have not yet figured out how that exactly fits in with Dada or what their overall theme is, but I think it is an example of how deep this show is. I know some don't like having to think about drum corps, but I love art that makes me think and wrestle with different ideas. While I would HATE it if every World Class corps did shows as dense as BDs is this year (and has been over the last several years), I would also HATE it if there wasn't a corps like BD pushing the envelops with this year's genius show (at least I consider it genius).

All the talk about changing the score sheet to punish corps for this kind of creativity and depth really disturbs me. These types of shows are the height of the artform, in my opinion. I understand that some don't like it. That is fine. You don't have to like it. But don't try to keep me from liking it, because I do. As much as I also like Jersey Surf's show this year, and hope they continue to do shows like the one they are doing this year, if it came down to choosing between all corps doing a Jersey Surf style show and a BD style show, I would choose a BD style show no question.

• Like 1

Can they re-hash the 2000 show? I would love that, it would make me into a fan again. Or anything from Bernard Hermann, maybe some of his music from Twilight Zone? Please? A 2000 re-tread would make me the happiest person in the stands :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 4

They are writing a book on the BD history and I offered some of my knowledge of the early 70's drum and bell programs to enhance the memory of Terry Shalberg (my first instructor). That guy is incredible with his memory but occasionally there are small details he forgets. I was pretty young then so my memories come from a different perspective especially since I was the first picked to head up what later became the C corps.

Can they re-hash the 2000 show? I would love that, it would make me into a fan again. Or anything from Bernard Hermann, maybe some of his music from Twilight Zone? Please? A 2000 re-tread would make me the happiest person in the stands :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love the 4 part studio recording! That way I can send bits and pieces to friends who don't know about drum corps as a sampler. Just like my Aunt. I met her and Grandma at a show in 87 while on tour. few years ago I got her email from my brother and she told me she still has the T-shirt i got her and was going to finals in Pasadena. I had no idea she had been following it for all these years!

Aww man, 2000 is sooooooo great. I listen to it all the time. That trumpet section was one of the best I've heard, ever. Great writing all around. Too bad the drumline wasn't on par.

I'm not sure I would want a rehash- it would probably just be too different and they would mess up all of my favorite moments.

As for this year's show, I just love it. It does remind me of 2008, but not all that much... the brass sounds better and the theme, even though it seems similar, is totally different. I think this one has more of a chance than 2008 to stave off wannabe winners. That said, I think an upset by Phantom would be the coolest thing ever.