I love Blue Devils!

As critical as I have been of the Blue Devils over the last couple of years, I've got to say this musical book this year is great! Every song just smokes, and really grooves out there. I really like the Elfman, and the Apollo 13 is pretty gorgeous, I think even more than the Satie.

One question though, when did they start the visual where they hold their horns at about hip-level parallel to the ground? I've seen it in their last few shows, and I've been wondering about it. it's an odd visual, at least I thought so.

• Like 1

As critical as I have been of the Blue Devils over the last couple of years, I've got to say this musical book this year is great! Every song just smokes, and really grooves out there. I really like the Elfman, and the Apollo 13 is pretty gorgeous, I think even more than the Satie.

One question though, when did they start the visual where they hold their horns at about hip-level parallel to the ground? I've seen it in their last few shows, and I've been wondering about it. it's an odd visual, at least I thought so.

'09 I think, in the same kind of section- super fast jazz crabbing.

• Like 2

'09 I think, in the same kind of section- super fast jazz crabbing.

I think you may be right. I wonder what the reasoning is behind it? Seems like it would be harder to control a horn that's down horizontal like that while crabbing.

• Like 1

I think you may be right. I wonder what the reasoning is behind it? Seems like it would be harder to control a horn that's down horizontal like that while crabbing.

My assumption is that it looks cool (especially the tubas!) but I have no idea. It might be older than '09, but I can't think of any instances in the '00s where they did it before that.

it's very unconventional that is for sure. The whole part of them going down on the ground and spinning around looks really hard to do and keep in time.

• Like 1

it's very unconventional that is for sure. The whole part of them going down on the ground and spinning around looks really hard to do and keep in time.

True. It wasn't easy when the Cavaliers did it in 2007, or when Santa Clara did it in 2009. Getting that many people to roll to the ground in time is a huge pain, they're pulling it off great.

• Like 1

I love the high level of execution and just general excellence that this corps exhibits. It's stunning to watch them execute at such a high level. Just amazing. :thumbup:

Well, the poster that started this thread demanded a " positive " thread on Blue Devils and since Drum Corps is a competitive endeavor, the 20-0 record that the Blue Devils have the last 20 head to head matchups vs. Carolina Crown speaks pretty directly to the " high level of execution " and just overall " general excellence" that the Blue Devils Corps exhibit. Carolina Crown is no slouch as a Drum Corps. Yet the Blue Devils have dominated them for over a year now. The Blue Devils are also undefeated at 20-0 this year against all other Corps in the DCI World Class Division. So from a competitive standpoint, one can't say much more " positive " things than this when it comes to the Blue Devils.

Edited by BRASSO