A Plea for sanity in this forum

A baby boomer asks:

Is there something unique about millennials that you still get called a "kid" even if you are 18 or older? This means they can vote, join the army, get sent to war, and for legal intents and purposes are an adult. There are people in the 18-21 age group who get married and have children. If you break a low at age 18, you are tried as an adult.

A good number of these corps have a large percentage of people 21 or older, which means they can drink legally also.

There are lots of reasons to be civil in our discourse, but I don't get the "they're kids" argument for it.

The corps that have a large percentage of people under 18 are the ones ranked 13 and below. I rarely see a lot of arguments in negative discourse lobbed their way. In all honesty, the most intense discussions are about corps who are mostly made up of adults.

I agree with being civil. I just don't agree that they are all kids.

I think we use the term "kids" because for the vast majority of the posters here, the marching members are younger than us. And for some (myself included), the discussions concern specifically what their children are doing, while working their butts off in extreme conditions, and paying high prices to boot. Maybe we should replace "they're just kids" with "they're just MMs". Would that make more sense? The MMs have no say in the program and design choices. Their task is to perform the show to the best of their ability according to the wishes of the staff. IMHO, the majority of the complaints are based on design and music choices. If you don't like a program, it's not the MMs fault, and I don't think anyone here has ever given that impression, btw.

So, yes, you are correct. Most of the participants on the field are not "kids", they are young adults. But it can get heated when the topic of discussion revolves around a group your son, daughter, brother, sister, grandchild, etc. is participating in, and attacks can feel personal. I think most of us understand that none of the vitriol is aimed at the MMs, but when someone you care about deeply has bought in to the program the extent these marchers must in order to survive, replies to comments can get testy.

It also doesn't help that in order to get the most out of the DC experience, you need to treat it like a cult (the word I use to describe the activity to outsiders). As a member, staff, volunteer, parent, you are asked to do things that normal human beings would never do, to do them almost without question, and get them done quickly and perfectly, regardless of extrenal conditions. Wind? Rain? So what. Heat? Big deal. Food truck fridge on the fritz? Still gotta serve 250 people 4 times a day. Sleep? Get all you need when you're dead. It's what makes this activity great, but also why it makes us so passionate about the smallest things. This might as well be a religion forum, and in a way, it is! :tongue:

Edited by Shamu89
  • Like 1

But let's chill with the haters, dino, young punk etc stuff.

For once, let's have a fun finals week without the ########.

is it possible?

my name is Jeff Ream, and I'm sure the moderators will approve this message. If they don't, blame corpsband and Plan9 :devil:

The guy has a kid and goes all invertebrate on us! :rolleyes:

In fact Jeff, you have inspired me to make this pledge: Should CC come from behind to defeat BD at finals I promise not to hurl insults or to be condescending to CC or Corpsband....however I will let the air out of his tires in the parking lot as I'm leaving. :tongue:

• Like 2

sigh.

I guess I better make a run to the liquor store and get a bottle of gin. If I can't rant and berate, then I suppose I'll just get hammered.

Better yet, I might as well call up my lousy son-in-law and have him drive me over to Indy and then I can catch some shows and stalk George. That sounds better. Of course I'll still need the gin.

Indy here I come!

I haven't picked on you in a while, so it seemed like a good time.

:devil:

Honestly - when is it not? :tongue:

• Like 1

I've seen many pleas for sanity, going back to the early days of R.A.M.D.

I applaud your efforts :worthy: ... but it PROBABLY won't work! :devil:

I've seen many pleas for sanity, going back to the early days of R.A.M.D.

I applaud your efforts :worthy: ... but it PROBABLY won't work! :devil:

Well at least Catherine and Sharon are not here to bring us down!

Is this thread for real, or just another way of pointing out that you have an average of 45 posts per day? Can't tell by the opening line...

There is no way to prevent the BS that will be spoken on these forums, especially by the first-time visitors looking for a way to vent about their corps getting screwed over.

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 2