Live Streaming Finals

I couldn't go to Dayton this past April. Normally I get the Fan Network for WGI that lets me see videos after they go up. This year I paid extra to watch it live. WGI was smart enough to have that option, and as a result, theymade more money off of me.

EXACTLY!!

WGI has been doing this for years (live-streaming finals), and they do it super affordably. They have zero problems selling out UD Arena, and they have zero problems convincing to go to the hell-hole of Dayton OH, the not-exactly hallmark of vacation spots in early May (side note: I'm from Central OH, and I am only kind of half joking bashing Dayton).

Oh yeah: and BOA does the live stream finals as well. You know, BOA who has finals in the same arena.

DCI is well behind their counterparts here

• Like 2

I think the Fan Network has cut into DVD sales far more then a live stream of Finals would. The only thing the FN doesn't eclipse is the Blue Ray, and that's only a matter of time.

I think this could be true, but I've not seen any stats relating to DVD sales to really suggest this. We live in an age where everything can be, and often is, live-streamed. The Olympics are live streamed but still get good ratings in prime-time on tape delay! Concerts are live-streamed and still get killer attendance.

Perhaps if DCI is worried about attendance, they should look for solutions the the real problem, which is certainly NOT because of any possible live streaming :ph34r:

EXACTLY!!

WGI has been doing this for years (live-streaming finals), and they do it super affordably. They have zero problems selling out UD Arena, and they have zero problems convincing to go to the hell-hole of Dayton OH, the not-exactly hallmark of vacation spots in early May (side note: I'm from Central OH, and I am only kind of half joking bashing Dayton).

Oh yeah: and BOA does the live stream finals as well. You know, BOA who has finals in the same arena.

DCI is well behind their counterparts here

but really here's the big points DCI is missing:

people can't afford to go. airfare isn't cheap and the hotels sure aren't, eben if you order though DCI and get a "deal".

People don't like drum corps inside.

many of those people though WOULD pay to watch it online.

it's really easy for them. go to Best buy, spend $22 bucks to get a cable, attach one end to your laptop, the other to your tv, and shazam!! DCI finals on your tv.

In fact, if someone knows the math, I'd be willing to bet this would make MORE money for DCI in terms of net revenue than the theater on Thursday does, because you cut out the middleman...the theaters!

• Like 2

What would you be willing to pay for a ticket to the theaters for finals night?

What would you be willing to pay to stream it on your computer?

I've said this before:

* I would be willing to pay an average ticket price for Finals.

* I'd be willing to concede multi-cam, and accept only high-cam view

* I'd be 100% OK with DCI doing what sports leagues do, and put limitations on who could stream. For example, if I buy the MLB package, I can watch any game other than my home team (so as to not interfere with my home team's TV deal or ticket revenue). If DCI were to limit streaming purchases to those outside of zipcodes considered prime attendance territory in and around Indy, I think they would minimize the "people won't come to finals" argument

* I'd be willing to do something like DCI currently does with the Finals VOD deal: "force" us to by the DVD's or Blu-ray's in order to live stream Finals. That way they lose zero revenue from their biggest money-maker. Make it a package deal: $100 for DVD's, $140 for DVD + Finals live stream (or something similar).

There are plenty of simple ways for DCI to minimize any perceived revenue loss. DCI is just too afraid to make it happen. They're too afraid to set up something that would give them a significant new revenue stream. DCI is too afraid to work out a way to get MORE money from my family and I.

Don't get me wrong: I love FN, have been a subscriber since year one, and will excitedly watch Semifinals Friday night. I'll likely buy the Blu-rays in order to get the Finals VOD ASAP. It's just frustrating to know that there are ways for DCi to get even more money from fans who aren't at finals. It's like they have the opportunity to live stream the biggest party of the year, deliver it fans and extend the DCI Finals atmosphere world-wide WHILE ALSO MAKING MORE MONEY! Yet they chose to continue to follow a model that is easily a decade past its logic

but really here's the big points DCI is missing:

people can't afford to go. airfare isn't cheap and the hotels sure aren't, eben if you order though DCI and get a "deal".

People don't like drum corps inside.

many of those people though WOULD pay to watch it online.

it's really easy for them. go to Best buy, spend $22 bucks to get a cable, attach one end to your laptop, the other to your tv, and shazam!! DCI finals on your tv.

In fact, if someone knows the math, I'd be willing to bet this would make MORE money for DCI in terms of net revenue than the theater on Thursday does, because you cut out the middleman...the theaters!

EXACTLY!!!

I mainly just replied to repost what you said because it's painfully obvious to me and you and it drives me nuts that it's not to DCI: especially when their counterparts at WGI & BOA have figured it out.

I've said this before:

* I would be willing to pay an average ticket price for Finals.

* I'd be willing to concede multi-cam, and accept only high-cam view

* I'd be 100% OK with DCI doing what sports leagues do, and put limitations on who could stream. For example, if I buy the MLB package, I can watch any game other than my home team (so as to not interfere with my home team's TV deal or ticket revenue). If DCI were to limit streaming purchases to those outside of zipcodes considered prime attendance territory in and around Indy, I think they would minimize the "people won't come to finals" argument

* I'd be willing to do something like DCI currently does with the Finals VOD deal: "force" us to by the DVD's or Blu-ray's in order to live stream Finals. That way they lose zero revenue from their biggest money-maker. Make it a package deal: $100 for DVD's, $140 for DVD + Finals live stream (or something similar).

There are plenty of simple ways for DCI to minimize any perceived revenue loss. DCI is just too afraid to make it happen. They're too afraid to set up something that would give them a significant new revenue stream. DCI is too afraid to work out a way to get MORE money from my family and I.

Don't get me wrong: I love FN, have been a subscriber since year one, and will excitedly watch Semifinals Friday night. I'll likely buy the Blu-rays in order to get the Finals VOD ASAP. It's just frustrating to know that there are ways for DCi to get even more money from fans who aren't at finals. It's like they have the opportunity to live stream the biggest party of the year, deliver it fans and extend the DCI Finals atmosphere world-wide WHILE ALSO MAKING MORE MONEY! Yet they chose to continue to follow a model that is easily a decade past its logic

I agree, and I bet they come around and try one of your ideas soon--other than the cheaper ticket prices idea. :cool: They won't make live-streaming finals cheap, though. Somebody on DCP said it should be $9.95 to make it easier to attract new fans. Ain't no way they'll agree to that.

Edited by Peel Paint

I'm glad that you're going to Finals, and I hope that you have a lot of fun. However, there are plenty of people who are not going to finals, regardless of whether or not it's streamed. DCI is making $0 off of them, regardless.

If DCI streamed Finals live, they would be making revenue off of them. There are plenty of ways to do it to minimize any sort of perceived ticket-revenue loss. I've emailed my ideas to DCI, and I've posted them here over the years.

I don't think the concern is about people who hardly ever go to finals.

I think the concern is that people who ARE going to finals now might be tempted not to in the future.

This may be akin to what happened with TV ratings when people started getting DVR's and shows became available online. Once upon a time, there was a thing called 'appointment television'. People would go out of their way to watch their favorite shows live. Now, scripted TV shows have more people viewing them on a time-shifted basis and "3rd screens" like computers than they do watching them live. Once people got into the habit of the shows being available to watch in other ways, people started making a habit of watching them that way. As a result, the networks have a harder time earning money from ad revenue because it's based on how many people watch the commercials. When you time-shift and watch online, you rarely see the commercials.

DCI's fear may be that making it available streaming may convince people that are currently attending Finals live to stay home. The losses in revenue aren't just about ticket sales, but program books, souvenir sales, concessions. It also doesn't send much of a message about the vitality of the activity to have empty seats at your championships.

In addition, one of the reasons Indianapolis and future championship cities will give you good deals is that those cities want tourism. Once you start making finals a "virtual" event, more and more people who otherwise might attend may be enticed to stay home.

I think that may be a legitimate concern.

EXACTLY!!!

I mainly just replied to repost what you said because it's painfully obvious to me and you and it drives me nuts that it's not to DCI: especially when their counterparts at WGI & BOA have figured it out.

and...BOA and WGI have a smaller target base of audience. Sure, OK, UD Arena only holds xx amount of people vs LOS. Well hell, LOS isn't selling out now ( mainly cause the sound sucks if you aren't in the power zone)

I think the key consideration is how much revenue could they eke out of streaming finals? I don't think there've been any official numbers recently detailing how many people are streaming any particular show since 2007.

Given that they're streaming Semis and awards, and that the VODs will be up within a few days, I have to assume there's very little marginal cost to broadcasting finals beyond the bandwidth (which I'm sure is significant, but probably in the five-figure range). To get $500k in revenue, they'd need 5,000 people to pay $100 or 10,000 to pay $50. Is that possible?

I don't think the concern is about people who hardly ever go to finals.

I think the concern is that people who ARE going to finals now might be tempted not to in the future.

This may be akin to what happened with TV ratings when people started getting DVR's and shows became available online. Once upon a time, there was a thing called 'appointment television'. People would go out of their way to watch their favorite shows live. Now, scripted TV shows have more people viewing them on a time-shifted basis and "3rd screens" like computers than they do watching them live. Once people got into the habit of the shows being available to watch in other ways, people started making a habit of watching them that way. As a result, the networks have a harder time earning money from ad revenue because it's based on how many people watch the commercials. When you time-shift and watch online, you rarely see the commercials.

DCI's fear may be that making it available streaming may convince people that are currently attending Finals live to stay home. The losses in revenue aren't just about ticket sales, but program books, souvenir sales, concessions. It also doesn't send much of a message about the vitality of the activity to have empty seats at your championships.

In addition, one of the reasons Indianapolis and future championship cities will give you good deals is that those cities want tourism. Once you start making finals a "virtual" event, more and more people who otherwise might attend may be enticed to stay home.

I think that may be a legitimate concern.

I doubnt it would slow people from going. There's a certain appeal to seeing it live. Let's face it, DCI sin't maxing out the crowd now. I mean hey...i'm a Phillies fan. I can get every game on free tv, as can everyone within say 180 miles, and they sold out 257 straight home games. They'd still be selling out if they didn't suck. So explain that? They sold 45,000+ 257 games in a row...and every one of those games was on tv.

Now sure, the average Phils fan isn't flying in or needing hotels. But they are spending a small fortune in food, parking and gas to get there.

So, with DCI not getting people to go now when it is their only option, and being told repeatedly those people aren't likely to go but would PAY to see it....duh, it's a no brainer.

let's yet again spell out the reasons people aren't going:

cost

the venue

10 years in the same place

real life

if only 500 people pay $30.00 per to order finals, thats $15k more (before expenses) DCI didn't have before. Given they show regionals that have smaller crowds than finals gets...what's the big #### deal? I'm probably never going to Stanford, Minnesota, San Antonio or Atlanta, all regionals shown on line this year, that I watched some if not all of...not to mention the other live feeds. If they are producing that for those of us that paid $65-100 and some occassional $24.95 buyers, what the hell is the #### difference about finals?

i can guarantee you if Allentown could work to show that live, people would still flock to JBC to see the corps live.

Hell DCA has a smaller audience base than DCI, and they even have the fan network running for prelims. Guess what...it made DCA money!