Live Streaming Finals

I think the Fan Network has cut into DVD sales far more then a live stream of Finals would. The only thing the FN doesn't eclipse is the Blue Ray, and that's only a matter of time.

Really, because I choose the BD/Fan Network bundle and it's great. Only thing is that I'd like ALL the corps on BD....

get over the red green thing man. I should be red to Howdy levels, and I'm green 2000+ ( i just looked for laughs)

Oh, I don't give two hoots about "the score". I'm just amazed that someone would red-neg a FACT, not an opinion.

(And everyone here knows you've been whoring green-pluses since the RAMD days. :tongue: )

Oh, I don't give two hoots about "the score". I'm just amazed that someone would red-neg a FACT, not an opinion.

(And everyone here knows you've been whoring green-pluses since the RAMD days. :tongue: )

your fact is someone else's fiction my Padawan learner

:tongue:

DVD, wuts that??? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I understand the DVD sales thing. BUT, I see no reason to not to stream a live ONLY finals option. For one, I really don't think anyone that has plans of attending finals live would quit going in favor of a live stream. But, for those of us that can't go, a live stream would be great. For me, it isn't the ticket price at all. I could easily muster that, but the hotel, plane ticket, etc. is what keeps me away. I really don't think a live only stream would hurt DVD sales either, just IMO. I'm happy to pay for Fan Network once a year to get my fix for past and current performances. I'd be willing to pay either more per year or pay a separate fee for a finals stream. I'll probably never buy a DVD. Heck, I don't even own a player anymore. I get all media through streaming services. Don't even have cable anymore. In conclusion, I'd love to get to finals, as I haven't attended since I was marching on the field, and I will as soon as I can get it together to afford the journey. But, from where I sit, DCI is losing potential extra profit from me by NOT taking my money for a live stream of finals.

Guess you don't have data caps on your internet connection yet... tongue.gif ( I don't either, but many of the companies are instituting them on wire line connections such as DSL/Cable... No so much fiber....)

DVD/Bluray are going to be in my house for a very long time...

Guess you don't have data caps on your internet connection yet... tongue.gif ( I don't either, but many of the companies are instituting them on wire line connections such as DSL/Cable... No so much fiber....)

DVD/Bluray are going to be in my house for a very long time...

Nope, no data caps, and hopefully they won't go that route. I even pay a little extra for higher bandwidth so that streaming in HD isn't ever a problem. I drool over fiber-optic, it isn't available in my area, but it is in other parts of town from the same company. Hopefully they'll upfit the whole area eventually.

Nope, no data caps, and hopefully they won't go that route. I even pay a little extra for higher bandwidth so that streaming in HD isn't ever a problem. I drool over fiber-optic, it isn't available in my area, but it is in other parts of town from the same company. Hopefully they'll upfit the whole area eventually.

I have fiber (FiOS) an love it, but I can see the day when data caps will be a problem and will make streaming everything a hassle. That's why I'm not all gun-ho on streaming yet.

No, exactly wrong. The benefits of having finals in Indy far outweigh the "exposure" that roving finals supposedly provide.

DCI has been in Indy, now, for 4 years; the activity has been losing exposure and fans for nearly every year that DCI moved finals around the country.

How does one reconcile that fact?

G, I think it's simplistic (or let's just say rationalistically challenging :tongue: ) to assume that the reason for dwindling attendance in the years prior to 2009 were due to wandering finals. That pre-dates other innovations such as Fan Network live streaming, etc. We are a cyber society now and activities (with gates and attendance) need to embrace a wide range of participation portals (be careful....dont' spit on yourself saying that) including the internet, System Blue type camps, International Exhibiitions, etc)/

Like it or not.....the Rose Bowl blew attendance through the roof.... not because of proximity to drum corps fans or having a consistent venue...but because California loves drum corps and a lot of fans were starved to see finals up close. Having been to Indy for several years now....someone needs to explain to me the benefits...I just don't see it.

Edited by Plan9

Not to pile on, because I agree with the other posters who responded to this, Tony, but I just want to point out that pricing the best seats significantly lower than DCI sells for them now (including Friends of DCI and corps booster club donations/fees) would not make those seats easier for you to get. If the original seller prices the seats lower than they need to in order to sell them out (and you'll notice that the best seats do sell out in Indy), they take money off their table and put it in the hands of ticket scalpers. In other words, say they charged $40. You still wouldn't get those seats at that price. (OK, you might get them, but the odds would be heavily stacked against you, because scalpers would more aggressively compete for the tickets to resell.) It took the rock stars a while to figure out that, too, but they eventually did. They now use VIP seating to sell first-20 rows at premium prices. And it works. The marketplace sets the price no matter how you try to regulate it. The seats are worth what somebody's willing to pay.

Not buying it.

DCI went years without making the best seats exclusive to donors. I should have the opportunity to get tickets in 239-241, 339-341, 439-441 w/o having to troll the message boards or other "scalpers". I shouldn't forced to spend x amount of money to get the opportunity to spend another x amount of money to buy the best seats. The reeks of exclusivity and keeping the regular fan away from the best seats. I am sorry and you can negative tick me into oblivion, but I should be forced into getting seats on the 30's or 35's ifI want to spend 255-275 per person for a "Super 3". If you want more money for those then charge 300, 325, 350...but don't make it an exclusive opportunity fo the affluent.

DCP: Where the facts never get in the way of a good rant, or someone's itchy red-negative finger.

Jeesh.

"You like me...you really like me!" :tongue:

G, I think it's simplistic (or let's just say rationalistically challenging :tongue: ) to assume that the reason for dwindling attendance in the years prior to 2009 were due to wandering finals. That pre-dates other innovations such as Fan Network live streaming, etc. We are a cyber society now and activities (with gates and attendance) need to embrace a wide range of participation portals (be careful....dont' spit on yourself saying that) including the internet, System Blue type camps, International Exhibiitions, etc)/

Like it or not.....the Rose Bowl blew attendance through the roof.... not because of proximity to drum corps fans or having a consistent venue...but because California loves drum corps and a lot of fans were starved to see finals up close. Having been to Indy for several years now....someone needs to explain to me the benefits...I just don't see it.

the benefit is $$$. DCI gets cut a break on prices if attendance goes down.DCI HQ is right there. They claim they get a deal on hotels, but ###### if I know where the price break is.