Live Streaming Finals

IMHO, this is one way to put it to DCI:

I cannot afford to go to Finals this year. You will not receive any revenue from me in Indy. I already have FN with the Blu-Ray option, which means I will get VOD's on Monday. If you live streamed Finals this year for an additional fee, I would have gladly paid it unless it were completely unreasonable. You would be receiving money from me that you would not have received otherwise. In future years, my first choice will always be to attend Finals live if I can, but if I can't I would pay extra to see a live stream.

Exactly. This is called "price discrimination" and leads to greater profits ... but apparently that only exists in "text books."

DVD sales are not the concern. If DVD sales were the concern, they wouldn't put videos of finals on the fan network. Showing a VOD version of finals on the fan network is going to cut into DVD sales far more than a live stream would.

Yes, BUT they release the Finals VOD's WELL after the DVDs are released for that competitive season. That way, if you want to watch Finals for the most recent season, you have to wait almost until the next season begins.

Edited by SopMaster

So why they heck would they not want to make even more money by streaming Finals for a fee?

don't ask me common sense questions about why DCi does what they do. I'm on your side

Yes, BUT they release the Finals VOD's WELL after the DVDs are released for that competitive season. That way, if you want to watch Finals for the most recent season, you have to wait almost until the next season begins.

If you purchased the FN package that includes DVD or Blue-Ray, you have access to this year's Finals VOD two days after the actual event...Finals VOD are listed as available next Monday to those subscribers who are eligible.

IMHO, this is one way to put it to DCI:

I cannot afford to go to Finals this year. You will not receive any revenue from me in Indy. I already have FN with the Blu-Ray option, which means I will get VOD's on Monday. If you live streamed Finals this year for an additional fee, I would have gladly paid it unless it were completely unreasonable. You would be receiving money from me that you would not have received otherwise. In future years, my first choice will always be to attend Finals live if I can, but if I can't I would pay extra to see a live stream.

That about says it!

This discussion comes up every year with the powers that be at DCI headquarters and the number one concern is it will hurt ticket sales.

Yes; I bring it up every year :tongue:

I've also outlined ways that it would not hurt ticket sales or DVD sales. And make DCI significantly more money.

I'm pretty aware of why DCI doesn't want to do it. Every year I hate that I'm more than willing to give DCI money for a one-time Finals live-stream (even a non-HD high-cam only stream) and they stubbornly don't want to work it out so they can take it. I have FN, love it, and will gladly watch Semi's Friday night. I'm buying the blu-rays again this year to watch Finals early next week (or whenever). They already get my money.

But they would get a lot more from lots of folks if they live streamed Finals.

But hey: no one wants an extra revenue stream in this economy, right?

Here is my opinion (Please don't neg me for it)

Streaming finals would cut substantially into DCI's DVD sales as well as attendance numbers. And, I know this seems selfish BUT I feel that finals is a very...what is the word...sacred/historical event. I think if they do offer it live in the future, it should be LIVE only with no on-demand or playback option.

I am a high school band director and as we all know, teachers don't bring home very big paychecks. However, I save a small amount every paycheck so I can fly or drive to Indy (from Florida) every year at the end of the summer (during our band camps) to witness Finals. I know if I can do it, most anyone can. It just takes planning.

Anyway, just my opinion.

I'm glad that you're going to Finals, and I hope that you have a lot of fun. However, there are plenty of people who are not going to finals, regardless of whether or not it's streamed. DCI is making $0 off of them, regardless.

If DCI streamed Finals live, they would be making revenue off of them. There are plenty of ways to do it to minimize any sort of perceived ticket-revenue loss. I've emailed my ideas to DCI, and I've posted them here over the years.

No, but it would cut into attendance and ticket sales.

I think that's a misconception: a sort of knee-jerk reaction/easy excuse to not do it. There are plenty of ways DCI can do it to minimize ticket sale losses while still creating a significant revenue stream. I talk about this annually, email DCI annually, and have posted ideas that would make DCI free money.

Yes; I bring it up every year :tongue:

I've also outlined ways that it would not hurt ticket sales or DVD sales. And make DCI significantly more money.

I'm pretty aware of why DCI doesn't want to do it. Every year I hate that I'm more than willing to give DCI money for a one-time Finals live-stream (even a non-HD high-cam only stream) and they stubbornly don't want to work it out so they can take it. I have FN, love it, and will gladly watch Semi's Friday night. I'm buying the blu-rays again this year to watch Finals early next week (or whenever). They already get my money.

But they would get a lot more from lots of folks if they live streamed Finals.

But hey: no one wants an extra revenue stream in this economy, right?

I hear ya. I have an 8 week baby, no finals for me this year, probably not for a few years, and quite possibly not until it's out of Indy. Sure they can get my Allentown money and FN subscription, but they could get more....but they don't.

I dont care about blu ray, I don't care about VOD. How cool would it have been in 08 to be able to watch Phantom's winning performance live online? Huge!!

How much extra money could that have made for DCI? A lot!!

Faceit, and I know they don't want to hear this but....people don't want to go to Indy, and for many reasons people can't go to Indy.

But they would paymore to watch it live.

I couldn't go to Dayton this past April. Normally I get the Fan Network for WGI that lets me see videos after they go up. This year I paid extra to watch it live. WGI was smart enough to have that option, and as a result, theymade more money off of me.

rolleyes.gif

It may not have anything to do with what Doug brought up, but it has everything to do with what YOU brought into this thread... the cost of attending finals.

OK, how about this:

I have a wife and kid and can't afford Finals tickets + airfare + hotel +etc. to go to FInals. Unless Finals is someplace close to home, I likely will never attend again (my wife and I are both music teachers, FWIW). However, we both are DCI alumni, love drum corps, subscribe to FN, buy the DVD's & Blu-rays, etc. We would gladly pay EXTRA for a one-time Finals Live-Stream. DCI would get MORE money from me (and other fans): money they would not see a dime of otherwise. My family is not in a position to afford a trip cross-country to DCI finals and will not attend finals regardless; but we could afford a pay-per-view live Finals Stream and DCI would be getting more revenue.

So there you go: I'm bringing this into the conversation to help your argument :satisfied:

• Like 1