Tuba conditioning?

Shannon

Most tuba players have the problem of carrying too much weight, and need to lose it. For me, I have to opposite problem. I'm a girl, 5'4" and 120 lbs. I marched tuba for two years, and I'm going to be drum major as a junior. I was okay with the sousaphone, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle a contra. I'm thinking of trying out for Phantom this November for experience, but I don't want to be unprepared for the audition. How much does an average contra weigh, and what should I do to make sure I can measure up to the huge guys that march tuba in drum corps?

A marching (King brand) contra weighs 29 lbs. As a Baritone player, (and methinks my contra brotheren would agree), for stregnth training, push-ups, lots of core excersises (pilates is good) b/c you use alot more than just your arms to hold the horn correctly. If you can beg borrow or steal a concert tuba if a convertable or contra isn't avaiable, practice holding it in front of you as if it were a contra. Also, being able to hold the horn is great, being able to hold the horn, run, and play is even better. Practice equal ammounts of strength and core training as well as cardio. Good Luck!!

Size is not necessarily an impedance when marching tuba. Some of the best members I marched with were Japanese people 20+ pounds lighter than you and some less than 5'4.

The static weight of the instrument at carry seems to be the first big hurdle you must cross. Take 2 1 gallon milk jugs and fill them full of water. Hold these jugs at the position similar to carry and hold them as long as you can. It is cheap, free, and you can challenge yourself. Kettle bells work really well for this as well.

By far, the biggest issue you'll face when marching tuba is a MENTAL ONE. The instrument is physically taxing, but more than that, it is mentally taxing. There isn't really a good preparation for this, other than sheer belief that you can master movement with the instrument and a conviction and work ethic to maintain that belief.

Also, don't forget, you are YOUNG. Even if your Phantom Regiment audition doesn't pan out, there are plenty of opportunities to receive an incredible marching education elsewhere. DCI instruction is at an all time high in competence and dedication, don't miss out on the opportunity to march if your first choice doesn't pan out.

• Like 1