Copyright Issues

I was just rewatching some shows from 2011 on the fan network, and I noticed that large portions of The Cavaliers' show were silent with the caption "Audio removed for copyright purposes" (or something to that affect). That might be old news to some, but I thought I remembered watching the show earlier this year or last year without the editing.

I presume that there is some type of DCI requirement that corps get the live performance rights to all the music they are using in a particular show. Should there also be a requirement that corps make sure they get the rights to have the music recorded before they can use it in a show? If DCI plans on having the fan network and DVDs as a source of income, it would seem to make sense to require corps to make sure they are using music that can be incorporated into recordings.

Am I totally off base here? Would this be a requirement that would be too burdensome on corps?

Thanks! Anyone know what the story is with the Cavaliers' 2011 music?

Edited by jasgre2000

I presume that there is some type of DCI requirement that corps get the live performance rights to all the music they are using in a particular show. Should there also be a requirement that corps make sure they get the rights to have the music recorded before they can use it in a show? If DCI plans on having the fan network and DVDs as a source of income, it would seem to make sense to require corps to make sure they are using music that can be incorporated into recordings.

As discussed in the other thread, there are multiple kinds of rights involved, each potentially belonging to different entities with different rules, many of which take a long time to secure. I suspect there are a lot of last-minute and mid-season approvals we never hear about and the one or two denials or delays get the press.

That said, I hadn't heard about any issues with Cavies past the pre-show. Was the audio also blocked on the Blu-rays, I wonder?

I don't know what happened with the 2011 Cavies audio either, but it's likely that some rights-holder objected after-the-fact to not being cut in on web streaming.

People wonder why we have so many greatest hits shows this year and shows using classical music pieces and why so little current pop music is used, well, the belated issues corps have had with this are pretty high up on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Copyright law needs some serious reform.

Needs... New media has turned it upside down and shook it up. It is difficult for the law to to keep up with technology.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 2

Needs... New media has turned it upside down and shook it up. It is difficult for the law to to keep up with technology.

Difficult indeed, and increasingly impossible. Technology is moving much faster than the laws that are created in an attempt to stay relevant. There is no doubt in my mind that in a very few years, we'll be dealing with issues we can't even imagine today.

Difficult indeed, and increasingly impossible. Technology is moving much faster than the laws that are created in an attempt to stay relevant. There is no doubt in my mind that in a very few years, we'll be dealing with issues we can't even imagine today.

put it right next to patent law. Apple vs Samsung shows how complex it can get.

• Like 1

The change to the 2011 Cavaliers recordings on the Fan Network was made last fall. The sections where the audio is cut are where a recording of David Bowie's "Nature Boy" was sampled. The Cavs and DCI apparently had obtained all the rights for the song (to arrange it, perform it, release an audio recording of them performing it ("mechanical" license), and release a video to which the audio recording had been attached ("synchronization" license), but not the rights to David Bowie's recording thereof.