Moderator?

Does this forum have a moderator? If so, it is not apparent.

Multiple threads on the same topic which need to be combined. Slamming is rampant. There are many differing opinions on this site and many actually warrant conversation. There are major issues within the Drum Corps community and many can be addressed logically and with good old fashioned debate. The slamming and cynicism needs to be put aside so that we can open up good honest conversations.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 2

Welcome to DCP Kevin.

After three years of lurking (suffering?) in silence, you're ready to step up and make it a better place. Great.

Use the Report button (yellow exclamation point, lower left of any post) to report any post that you think violates our community guidelines, such as a personal slam. Posts come so fast these two weeks that there is no way the moderators see them all or even most of them. They will look at the ones you report.

Use the Start New Topic button to start a new conversation--and please do check by searching to be sure there isn't one active already--about something that can generate good discussion.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 3

Oh, there are moderators here...and I think they are doing a good job.

In fact, in one particular thread in which I lost control, Mods deleted my posts as well as some other posts and didn't penalize me. They made a good call and I thank them for their actions.

But, you know, with all the threads and posts going on in this forum, they can't be everywhere, can't see everything and can't act upon everything. They need the help of the members. I suggest to everyone that if you see posts that violate forum rules...or that you find offensive...use that little "report" button in the lower left corner.

Oh, there are moderators here...and I think they are doing a good job.

In fact, in one particular thread in which I lost control, Mods deleted my posts as well as some other posts and didn't penalize me. They made a good call and I thank them for their actions.

But, you know, with all the threads and posts going on in this forum, they can't be everywhere, can't see everything and can't act upon everything. They need the help of the members. I suggest to everyone that if you see posts that violate forum rules...or that you find offensive...use that little "report" button in the lower left corner.

Actually I did signed on three years ago and this same problem was rampant then. I stopped visiting the site due to the lack of being able to read decent commentary - or I was not willing to read through the crap. There was no lurking. There is good conversation once you dig past the slamming.

• Like 1

Actually I did signed on three years ago and this same problem was rampant then. I stopped visiting the site due to the lack of being able to read decent commentary - or I was not willing to read through the crap. There was no lurking. There is good conversation once you dig past the slamming.

There is no way you will enjoy every post or thread. You do have to dig to find the gold, and it's best to ignore (other than possibly reporting) the bad stuff. And you have to take responsibility to create good discussions as well to get the most out of DCP. These two weeks (I'm including next week) are always the most active and most passionate here, for good and bad. There have been threads that have been combined and locked and moved, and posts that have been deleted by moderators this week.

There is no way you will enjoy every post or thread. You do have to dig to find the gold, and it's best to ignore (other than possibly reporting) the bad stuff. And you have to take responsibility to create good discussions as well to get the most out of DCP. These two weeks (I'm including next week) are always the most active and most passionate here, for good and bad. There have been threads that have been combined and locked and moved, and posts that have been deleted by moderators this week.

Thanks! I guess there is a reason I choose to use my real name rather than that of anonymity.

moved to the member service center.

And yes, there is a team of moderators who do attempt to keep the peace on DCP and keep it neat and tidy - trying to keep everyone in line with the Community Guidleines and 'reasonable' behavior without doing so heavy handedly or stiffling debate, whether positive or negative. it is a very hard thing to do.

I would also point out that while the moderators move about the board, they may not see all offending posts, discussions, or individuals. that's why we encourage folks to use the report feature located in every post on the board. Reporting a post sends it to the immediate attention of the staff, and will evaluate and act on the report, if necessary. if you see something that you feel does not conform to the CGs or may be questionable, report it.

We aren't perfect folks....well, okay - I think the boss might be....but the team tries.

Kevin - if you have a specific complaint, please feel free to PM me directly.

Wiht the exception of personal slams, most complaints are people expressing their opinions. Years ago had a former poster here saying the DCP should only say good things about the activity. She got PO'ed when I said that would be (1) boring and (2) ignoring the things that should/could be made better.

And let's not forget the mods are volunteers wo do this in their spare time.

Edit: Great John posted while I was typing and now looks like I'm kissing up. :devil: LOL - but I've gotten my "you should know better" PM from the mods too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wiht the exception of personal slams, most complaints are people expressing their opinions. Years ago had a former poster here saying the DCP should only say good things about the activity. She got PO'ed when I said that would be (1) boring and (2) ignoring the things that should/could be made better.

And let's not forget the mods are volunteers wo do this in their spare time.

Edit: Great John posted while I was typing and now looks like I'm kissing up. :devil: LOL - but I've gotten my "you should know better" PM from the mods too.

I am not looking for "ALL GOOD". I am great with negative commentary. This is a huge forum and I understand the problems with maintaining a good rapport. Real Names is a great solution for keeping rapport - but I will not tell you how to run your site. What get's me is people throwing nonsense in a topic. The 30 Years debate which has been hashed through and hashed through contains a few folks just throwing it off topic for the sake of humor or lack of understanding.

That one debate was the only reason I came back. I came back through recommendation of a friend. Due to random questions about "The OFFICE" it took multiple pages to get to the topic. That is the reason I posted this.

Thanks

I am not looking for "ALL GOOD". I am great with negative commentary. This is a huge forum and I understand the problems with maintaining a good rapport. Real Names is a great solution for keeping rapport - but I will not tell you how to run your site. What get's me is people throwing nonsense in a topic. The 30 Years debate which has been hashed through and hashed through contains a few folks just throwing it off topic for the sake of humor or lack of understanding.

That one debate was the only reason I came back. I came back through recommendation of a friend. Due to random questions about "The OFFICE" it took multiple pages to get to the topic. That is the reason I posted this.

Thanks

OK, now I understand better and I'm as guilty as anyone to throwing out (up?) smart alecky responses but that's my nature. I don't use my real name as an ID (but lot of people know what it is) because I don't want to make it too easy for ID theft. I work for the military so know how easy it is to pick up enough here and there to be dangerous.

As for multiple topics my guess is people don't scan the Forum home page (list of latest topics) to see if someone else is talking about the same thing. Or the earlier thread on the same topic has moved to the 2nd page and is not visible. Mods are not shy about merging if the topics match closely but sometimes leave things ago if what started as the same tipic moved in ddifferent directions.

As for "I am the Moderator" I almost responded with "I am Cornholio!"

Edited by JimF-LowBari