Kudos to DCI

I've never been to the theatre to enjoy drum corps as I thought it would somehow disappoint me. Boy was I wrong. I had a fantastic time (in lieu of being there) and walked away very impressed with the entire experience. The only missing was the Denny's run after the show. So thanks again DCI for making this event happen live across the country and for making sure we saw all of the corps. I'm sure that was not cheap to run the show long for the Bluecoats and SCV make goods.

• Like 1

608 Theaters! Was again a great time - mostly a Madison crowd where I watched, with both Cadet and BD fans included. EVERYONE was glad to get the Blucoats/SCV replay. :thumbup:

Thank you DCI, was a wonderful experience.

AMC 24 First Colony in Sugar Land was packed to over flowing. Kids were sitting on the floor!

It was, of course, a pro-Crossmen crowd but cheered pretty loudly for every show... almost. The theater was dead silent after BD finished. Read into that what you will.

• Like 3

I was at Santana Row in San Jose, CA. Mostly a SCV fan base (Santa Clara is literally a block away), I believe I was 1 of 2 people cheering for BD. Lots of sarcasm sparked in the the theater when the stream froze.

AMC 24 First Colony in Sugar Land was packed to over flowing. Kids were sitting on the floor!

It was, of course, a pro-Crossmen crowd but cheered pretty loudly for every show... almost. The theater was dead silent after BD finished. Read into that what you will.

Same in Chicago. Even the guy behind me (old Blue Stars drum major) said, "Well THAT was weird". Nothing more.

Watched in Harrisburg, PA. The crowd was great - probably 3/4 full. I have been to the theater for DCI events several times, but I felt the quality was the best this time. Camera work was great overall. I occasionally wish I could have seen the press box view over a sweep of the color guard during a hit, but I can deal with that (ex: they missed the star on the top of the Christmas tree in The Cadets' show). The sound quality was awesome. It was plenty loud. The theater (Regal) handled the stoppages really well. They came in and apologized and at least acknowledged that they were aware of it and looking into it. Huge kudos to DCI for showing Bluecoats and Santa Clara Vanguard at the end! And the theater gave out free passes as we exited - very classy. A fantastic evening of drum corps!

• Like 1

For the most part I'll agree with what the other posters have said: it was a really enjoyable night of watching drum corps, I REALLY appreciated them replaying Bluecoats and SCV, and the camera work was really good (for the most part -- a couple of the sweeps were too fast/dizzying and a couple of camera cuts were of the roof :shutup: ). But:

- Reliable Rondo and Co. almost always ran long in their between corps comments and were talking over the pre-shows. Rondo's been at this for years and you would think he would have a better sense of timing. And wouldn't you think the broadcast team would have a timing person indicating that they had 30 seconds (or whatever time) to let them know to wind up?

- the placement of the mics could have been MUCH better. For almost every corps, the pit sounds were WAY too loud. In some cases it was almost painful to listen to, and WAY too many times the pit would cover up the softer parts of the battery and horn line. When you can't hear 4 Madison trumpet soloists b/c of the pit, it's too loud.

----

Our theater (Akron, OH) was about 1/3 full (pro-Bluecoat crowd) gave the biggest ovations to BC, Crown and Madison. BD response was polite.

I liked that they made better use of Will Pitts. He wasn't just Token Young Person this time - he had a lot of good material about what each corps was playing. I also thought the staff interviews were pretty good - Bocook was a great setup for Cadets, and Harloff's reaction to Crown was awesome. Memo for the producers, though - unscripted sideline interviews with Hop are maybe not the best idea!

• Like 2

My theater only had about 30 people in it (really disappointing compared to it bring 3/4 full in June). Best experience of the night- ran into an older gentleman (probably mid 60s) in the popcorn line who was just browsing for a movie online. Saw this was listed & had no hesitation about going. He did d&bc in the 60's and hasn't seen a show in about 25 years. Only about 10 people stayed to watch Bluecoats/SCV, and you best believe he & his wife were two of the 10 there till the end!! He walked away with a smile on his face. Needless to say, he enjoyed it, and so did I.

• Like 1