Kudos to DCI

It was, of course, a pro-Crossmen crowd but cheered pretty loudly for every show... almost. The theater was dead silent after BD finished. Read into that what you will.

DADA is a hard sell. The one movement of art that many critics dismissed and it only holds a paragraph in many Art history books. This movement of art did change the face of art as we know - and it is "ODD". Out of DADA "nonsense" came Cubism, Surrealism, OP, POP, and so on.

BDs show is a jumbled up collage of "STUFF" which is weird and odd but this is a good representation of DADA. It does scratch the surface of what DADA is. The show itself is not super entertaining - but neither is DADA. They do execute it very well and relaxed - Only like BD knows how to do.

EDIT: Had to add this. AT LEAST BD did not play DADA music and stuck strickly to visual and performance. DADA music would have put them at the bottom.

Edited by Kevin Powell

We enjoyed what we got to see, which wasn't very much, due to the double whammy of Indy storms and Orlando storms. Ok until we lost all but the last 1/3 of Madison, then the Bluecoats/SCV blackout that everyone had. Came back for first half of Cadets' opener, though Jay Bocook's nattering about his Christmas arrangements went on longer than the portion of his corps we received.

Were teased with 30 seconds of the middle of Phantom, then that was it for the night.

Everyone had left and we came out of the bathroom to hear Rondinaro's voice as we passed back by our theater, so ran in and had the place to ourselves for the Bluecoats/SCV re-show. We hoped they would show the rest of the top 5 as well, but no such luck.

The theater was great and gave us free passes after the first blackout, which was much appreciated as they could have easily said, "sorry, weather." All in all, a disappointing evening, but from the sound of thunder and rain on the roof we were having crazy violent storms outside for hours during the show.

My tenuous DCI claim to fame for today....

Shared a lift with Steve Rondinaro!

Ugghhhh....I am so jealous of all you guys. I was pumped for the theatre experience, but the show was cancelled in Columbus, Ohio because of a massive thunderstorm that rolled in literally 20 minutes before the show was to start.

As ticked off as I was at God's timing, I did atleast get to see three live shows this year.

I was really impressed with the professional feel to the broadcast. Well done!

It was professionally done, but on reflection I find myself wishing that the DCI broadcast crew could be a bit more like independent sports journalists.

For example, in the Season Opener cinecast, they made a big deal about the new judging system. Where was Cesario last night? I'd have loved to hear him tell us how he thought it worked out, how it's affected results this year ("well printing the sheets in landscape made it obvious that we hadn't been rewarding pretentious pseudo-intellectualism enough..." :huh:)

For that matter, why did Will have to try to explain Dada? If BD is about to win a ring for a show that's hard to understand, why couldn't they round up a BD staffer to fill us all in?

Even the in-house radio announcers for baseball teams get to ask hard questions about how the team is doing, no?

That must have been a big thunderstorm to cancel a show at a movie theater... :blink:

If the area lost power it is totally understandable - can't run the projectors without power.

For the most part I'll agree with what the other posters have said: it was a really enjoyable night of watching drum corps, I REALLY appreciated them replaying Bluecoats and SCV, and the camera work was really good (for the most part -- a couple of the sweeps were too fast/dizzying and a couple of camera cuts were of the roof :shutup: ). But:

- Reliable Rondo and Co. almost always ran long in their between corps comments and were talking over the pre-shows. Rondo's been at this for years and you would think he would have a better sense of timing. And wouldn't you think the broadcast team would have a timing person indicating that they had 30 seconds (or whatever time) to let them know to wind up?

- the placement of the mics could have been MUCH better. For almost every corps, the pit sounds were WAY too loud. In some cases it was almost painful to listen to, and WAY too many times the pit would cover up the softer parts of the battery and horn line. When you can't hear 4 Madison trumpet soloists b/c of the pit, it's too loud.

----

Our theater (Akron, OH) was about 1/3 full (pro-Bluecoat crowd) gave the biggest ovations to BC, Crown and Madison. BD response was polite.

Were you at Montrose Movies? I would have gone there if I had gotten out of work in time (I work in Elyria). Fortunately, Crocker Park was only 15 minutes away and has stadium seating (and hot dog sliders!) so I had a great time.

Were you at Montrose Movies? I would have gone there if I had gotten out of work in time (I work in Elyria). Fortunately, Crocker Park was only 15 minutes away and has stadium seating (and hot dog sliders!) so I had a great time.

Kevin,

Yes I was at Montrose Movies - sat a row in front of a couple old Bluecoat/Cadet alums. One of the best parts of the evening was telling the 10+ group of teenagers several rows in front of us to "Shut. Up." just before SCV... :thumbup:

Work in Cuyahoga Heights, live near Stan Hywet Hall...