2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

A big ovation for Fred J. Miller, who passed away last week at the age of 80. His wife received the sponsor plaque.

$75 seats and the sound is horrible. I am not understating this. One big gooey reverberish mess of sound. I literally cannot pick out parts.

I'm sure...in the middle prime seats the sound is better, but outside the 20s in the 300 section is bad.

The sound deteriorates outside too, the further from center you are. Anyone walking the pathway at the top of the lower bowl in Allentown can tell you that. No stadium gives an idea acoustic experience in each and every seat.

Next on the field is our first competitive corps of the night, the Crossmen from San Antonio, Texas. Their 2012 program is entitled "FRAGILE" and consists of:

Earth Song by Jackson, Michael

Wailers by McFerrin, Bobby

PD7 by Shankar, Anoushka

Here Comes the Flood by Gabriel, Peter

Finding and Believing by Metheny, Pat

• Like 1

The Crossmen are the first corps since the 1991 Sky Ryders and only the second corps ever to make DCI Finals from the state of Texas.

The Crossmen are the first corps since the 1991 Sky Ryders and only the second corps ever to make DCI Finals from the state of Texas.

I'd completely forgotten that the Sky Ryders moved to Texas in their last year or two. I still think of them as "Hutch".

Low brass starts backfield with an opening chord leading into the baritone soloist on Earth Song.

Mellos now on the melody, lush sound from them. Trumpets take over as we move into the jam session of Earth Song.

Screamer nails his solo, much to the delight of all.

Gorgeous double flags of ocean blue in the guard.

Nice groove on the next piece. Very intense. Guard now on leopard print flags, appropriate with the Afro-jazz feeling of this piece.