An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

When I read the beginnings of the Open Letter to DCI I was preparing to head out to my 27th consecutive finals. My first reaction was that I feel sorry for JulesBry. Really sorry, because your timing is horrible.

Now that I've arrived back home, completely saturated with drum corps, I see that the JulesBry's thoughts are shared by 40+ people who took the time to green+ the letter's point. I presume that those 40+ people are now gone from drum corps. So what, I say. Big deal. You all have terrible timing.

Any serious fan of the activity who's been watching realizes that DCI is, structurally, at one of its lowest points in history. It is usually these times when significant change happens, usually instigated by the most serious thinkers and doers of the activity. This is the bottom, not the top, of the direction DCI's future holds. Those of you who are bolting are probably the ones who sold all your stocks in 2008. Your timing is terrible.

There is great and serious change coming to DCI. While it's undeterminable to presume the future is all sun flowers and puppy dogs, those of us who hang around are going to witness something new. What's next in the DCI saga is NOT death, quite the contrary. The players whose lives breath drum corps daily all recognize the importance of the next steps, and what's planned will likely be a day recognized and discussed like the birth of DCI and the 2010 great attempted mutiny of the G8.

Those of you who buy the JulesBry's sentiment and agree to the extent of leaving - which I suspect JulesBry never intended to do as much as get those feelings posted to DCP - will miss what's next. Don't be fools. It's still a great adventure.

I still feel sorry for the lemmings who bolt, and my post is an attempt to exercise my writing style and convince you to cool your jets and just watch. You're about to see a fun show INSIDE the activity that will likely match the one we saw on the field last night.

Don't buy the baloney. Your corps need you, the activity needs you, and you know you really want to stay and see the Great Change happen.

Well, stick around...

Ok, so you say things are set to change. But given almost every change has gone in a direction that i would wager most who would agree with JulesBry would say is a negative direction, why should the promise of 'great and serious change' prompt any of them to stick around? If anything it should send more flooding for the exits.

• Like 8

I guarantee that if BD was in 2nd or 3rd place all year and didn't win the gold at Finals that none of these people would be #####ing about how BD is the death of drum corps. Some of these people would still hate them, but for the honest reason, which is they want their team to win.

Well no #### they wouldnt. People feel that the judging system is consistently not rewarding the best shows, and is rewarding shows like BDs that shy away from exposure and demand and focus on safety and cleanliness (in other words, having it ###-backwards in terms of what engages an audience). If a show they believe is most definitely NOT the best in drum corps was not winning, then they would not have to believe that the judging system is severely flawed. They would still dislike BD's show for its flaws, but its implications on drum corps at large would be lessened as they would not be held up by the judging system as the best drum corps has to offer.

• Like 8

Well no #### they wouldnt. People feel that the judging system is consistently not rewarding the best shows, and is rewarding shows like BDs that shy away from exposure and demand and focus on safety and cleanliness (in other words, having it ###-backwards in terms of what engages an audience). If a show they believe is most definitely NOT the best in drum corps was not winning, then they would not have to believe that the judging system is severely flawed. They would still dislike BD's show for its flaws, but its implications on drum corps at large would be lessened as they would not be held up by the judging system as the best drum corps has to offer.

Please, this thread is not about BD. Take that discussion elsewhere.

This is bigger than that squabble.

• Like 3

Ok, so you say things are set to change. But given almost every change has gone in a direction that i would wager most who would agree with JulesBry would say is a negative direction, why should the promise of 'great and serious change' prompt any of them to stick around? If anything it should send more flooding for the exits.

"Should"? New changes, new directions "should" send more floodng for the exits? Of the players involved with the DCI organization and those who head corps and the BOD, which ones do you think are approaching these changes with the attitude that it "should" cause more flooding for the exits?

And "flooding" is too broad a generalization to take seriously.

COULD it cause more "flooding" to the exits? Certainly, but I say not.

• Like 1

Please, this thread is not about BD. Take that discussion elsewhere.

This is bigger than that squabble.

Agreed.... Im not leaving the activity, just don't like the direction it is going. And as for this being a BD bashing as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a BD hater. One of my favorite shows was their 1990 Tommy show. I was not a fan of this years show and I am not a fan of Crown though I live 15 minutes from their headquarters. I dig the concepts, the story lines, drill and just about everything, but when they started doing voice overs and when alot of the shows depend on the electronics then that is where my problem lies. One of the shows last night began and the first sound from a horn came 90 seconds after it had started. That to me is insane. Just my take. As I said I'm not going anywhere as I have yet to find an equal adrenaline rush as I get from DCI.

• Like 3