An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

How many times did Cavies and Phantom finish top 3 and even 2nd before they won their first rings? Did DCI end in those days? Star beat out the sentimental favorite Cavaliers in '91 and people were pissing and moaning. Heck just about everyone thought Phantom was robbed in '89 with SCV was "gifted" a title.

A little bit of controversy is good for the activity and happens in every era. It's inherently a subjective activity and different styles appeal to different people. These differences help to create a healthy dialogue which helps to push the activity forward.

If your "favorite" does not win why come whinning about it to an Internet forum. Look at the #### recap and try and understand why the corps placed the way they did in context of what you saw. It's perfectly rationale for a superior show with one area of performance weakness...to be rated lower than a very good design with absolutely no areas of weakness in performance.

Again I'm probably making too much sense for DCP...

And to go along with your argument. It's perfectly okay to have disagreements about how specific captions are judged even if one does understand why the judges gave the points that they did.

Oh stop. Don't be so sensitive. I don't suggest my level of understanding is greate than yours and I'm sorry if you feel insulted.

The answer is pretty simple, too. Just watch if you want, or go start talking to the people who have the biggest vested interest. Either way, you'll hear what you want to know.

I'll bet you'll like what you hear about the future direction of the activity and the determination exhibitied to see it succeed and thrive.

I haven't been this optimistic in a long, long time.

Not sensitive - cynical with a side of sarcastic. Your continued avoidance of my very simple question leads me to conclude you have nothing to go on other than a wish, a hope or a prayer.

You are fully entitled to all three - just please don't pretend you have some inside track on TRVTH. I see no evidence for what you claim. If I'm wrong - here's your opportunity to prove me so. Because if you do have sources, I would be extremely interested. Otherwise, it's just your opinion.

Edited by Grandpa

Don't be delusional about "record" numbers, there are record numbers at certain show sites, because there are fewer shows to attend and an increase in major regional sites with major corps in attendence. I don't really care at the end of the day who won, cause 10 years from now, you will remember the best shows, wherever they placed. DCI may still be around...but, in my opinon, this is going to end up with only 6-8 corps regionally and that's it.

There, I fixed that for you.

And, from my perspective and in my opinion, you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Not sensitive - cynical with a side of sarcastic. Your continued avoidance of my very simple question leads me to conclude you have nothing to go on other than a wish, a hope or a prayer.

You are fully entitled to all three - just please don't pretend you have some inside track on TRVTH. I see no evidence for what you claim. If I'm wrong - here's your opportunity to prove me so. Because if you do have sources, I would be extremely interested. Otherwise, it's just your opinion.

I appreciate your cynacism and sarcasm, really I do. I have naturally healthy doses of both myself because I get paid to be a cynic. There's good reason that I'm avoiding your very direct question. And the beauty of my position is that I don't have to say more, because you'll find out for yourself. Even if you stay around to watch based on some kook's opinion on DCP, I will have fulfilled the intent of my OP.

As I said, I haven't been this optimistic in a long, long time.

Also I greened JulesBry not because I am leaving. (far from it!) but because she said her point very nicely and she had been very involved in DCI from a fans perspective.

The activity changes do much every year you can't help but peak inside to see if your hopes and dreams have come true every year.

I think the easiest and best thing DCI could do to settle much of the competitive and design issues is to release judge tapes. Atleast speculation will end and ppl leaving can truly understand why corps are getting scored the way they are. It would perpetuate more understanding about this activity for SURE!

I appreciate your cynacism and sarcasm, really I do. I have naturally healthy doses of both myself because I get paid to be a cynic. There's good reason that I'm avoiding your very direct question. And the beauty of my position is that I don't have to say more, because you'll find out for yourself. Even if you stay around to watch based on some kook's opinion on DCP, I will have fulfilled the intent of my OP.

As I said, I haven't been this optimistic in a long, long time.

I heard this one in grade school. "Be good, children, and you'll get a reward."

If I stay or go it will not be based on unsubstantiated claims made on DCP, hints of high level secrets, or an invitation to see if they come true. It will be based on what I see and hear on the field.

I think your cover is blown on this one.

Also I greened JulesBry not because I am leaving. (far from it!) but because she said her point very nicely and she had been very involved in DCI from a fans perspective.

The activity changes do much every year you can't help but peak inside to see if your hopes and dreams have come true every year.

I think the easiest and best thing DCI could do to settle much of the competitive and design issues is to release judge tapes. Atleast speculation will end and ppl leaving can truly understand why corps are getting scored the way they are. It would perpetuate more understanding about this activity for SURE!

So you green+ because of the writing quality, not the content?

Well, OK, never mind.

Happy to say I did not sell my stocks in 2008 and being farily new to DCI, due to my son marching - have nothing to compare the new show designs to... although over time I am watching the "classic oldies" on FN. I am planning on sticking with the activity as a fan because - I think it is spectacular at all levels with or without electronics and other gimmicks. There are constantly new fans being won over - though I don't know if we newbs can replace the ones crowding the exits.

I have a degree in music so I really focus mostly on sound when I watch... but I will say this: I appreciate the shows that are the loudest, have the longest hang-in-the-air brass blasts, have quick tempo drill with cool stuff like scout's rotating company front and yes, I admit, I also like the newer school emphasis on choreography. Can do without flying hoola hoops and hobby horse wardrobes however.

• Like 1

I heard this one in grade school. "Be good, children, and you'll get a reward."

If I stay or go it will not be based on unsubstantiated claims made on DCP, hints of high level secrets, or an invitation to see if they come true. It will be based on what I see and hear on the field.

I think your cover is blown on this one.

Ha! You got me! (/sarcasm)

Just because you're not wearing the ruby-red slippers doesn't mean the wicked witch isn't really dead.

Ha! You got me! (/sarcasm)

Just because you're not wearing the ruby-red slippers doesn't mean the wicked witch isn't really dead.

Well Dorothy, whatever footwear you are possesed of, unless you back up your claim it is about as substantial as myths of Oz.