An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

How many times did Cavies and Phantom finish top 3 and even 2nd before they won their first rings? Did DCI end in those days? Star beat out the sentimental favorite Cavaliers in '91 and people were pissing and moaning. Heck just about everyone thought Phantom was robbed in '89 with SCV was "gifted" a title.

A little bit of controversy is good for the activity and happens in every era. It's inherently a subjective activity and different styles appeal to different people. These differences help to create a healthy dialogue which helps to push the activity forward.

If your "favorite" does not win why come whinning about it to an Internet forum. Look at the #### recap and try and understand why the corps placed the way they did in context of what you saw. It's perfectly rationale for a superior show with one area of performance weakness...to be rated lower than a very good design with absolutely no areas of weakness in performance.

Again I'm probably making too much sense for DCP...

If you think its about 'a favorite not winning', you're missing the point entirely.

• Like 3

FWIW, I green-plussed him because I agree with most of his complaints, and I appreciated that he was willing to spell it out along with the consequences. I am also majorly turned off by the electronics elements, particularly pre-recorded music and voice and bad synth patches (which account for 90% of all synth patches) myself, and I think some aspects of the judging mechanism could use a somewhat bolder kick in the pants than the new sheets amounted to.

I don't plan to bolt anytime soon. But if we start seeing pre-recorded voice in *every* show, or a much-expanded role for the synth section, or an intrusion of pre-recorded music into the actual shows, I think I too will lose interest over time. The fact that these kinds of things are on the upswing is very troubling.

All that said, I'm hopeful about your promise that something is a-brewin'. I can't imagine anything likely to happen that I would actually be excited about, however.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

So you green+ because of the writing quality, not the content?

Well, OK, never mind.

Well I green the poster not the post. After all they are reputation points not your favorite opinion points. Those who I feel have a post that gives them a good reputation I green. Maybe that's just how I see it. People with good reputations deserve to heard regardless if I agree or disagree.

When I read the beginnings of the Open Letter to DCI I was preparing to head out to my 27th consecutive finals. My first reaction was that I feel sorry for JulesBry. Really sorry, because your timing is horrible.

Now that I've arrived back home, completely saturated with drum corps, I see that the JulesBry's thoughts are shared by 40+ people who took the time to green+ the letter's point. I presume that those 40+ people are now gone from drum corps. So what, I say. Big deal. You all have terrible timing.

Any serious fan of the activity who's been watching realizes that DCI is, structurally, at one of its lowest points in history. It is usually these times when significant change happens, usually instigated by the most serious thinkers and doers of the activity. This is the bottom, not the top, of the direction DCI's future holds. Those of you who are bolting are probably the ones who sold all your stocks in 2008. Your timing is terrible.

There is great and serious change coming to DCI. While it's undeterminable to presume the future is all sun flowers and puppy dogs, those of us who hang around are going to witness something new. What's next in the DCI saga is NOT death, quite the contrary. The players whose lives breath drum corps daily all recognize the importance of the next steps, and what's planned will likely be a day recognized and discussed like the birth of DCI and the 2010 great attempted mutiny of the G8.

Those of you who buy the JulesBry's sentiment and agree to the extent of leaving - which I suspect JulesBry never intended to do as much as get those feelings posted to DCP - will miss what's next. Don't be fools. It's still a great adventure.

I still feel sorry for the lemmings who bolt, and my post is an attempt to exercise my writing style and convince you to cool your jets and just watch. You're about to see a fun show INSIDE the activity that will likely match the one we saw on the field last night.

Don't buy the baloney. Your corps need you, the activity needs you, and you know you really want to stay and see the Great Change happen.

Well, stick around...

Assuming DCI survives the Mayan Apocalypse, I guess we'll see what happens. I agree the current paradigm is not sustainable.

Well Dorothy, whatever footwear you are possesed of, unless you back up your claim it is about as substantial as myths of Oz.

Wait, I thought you said I was the wizard behind the curtain and I am now exposed.

You can't keep mixing your metaphors. :tongue:

You're going to stay and see what happens next. That's good.

Well I green the poster not the post. After all they are reputation points not your favorite opinion points. Those who I feel have a post that gives them a good reputation I green. Maybe that's just how I see it. People with good reputations deserve to heard regardless if I agree or disagree.

Is that like boo-ing the designers and not the kids who hear it on the field? :tongue:

Wait, I thought you said I was the wizard behind the curtain and I am now exposed.

You can't keep mixing your metaphors. :tongue:

:tongue:

You're going to stay and see what happens next. That's good.

That may be what you wish you heard, but I didn't say that (which makes me doubt the veracity of your statement all the more).

What I said was that I will stay or leave based on what I see and hear on the field, not what you claim but cannot substantiate in a DCP thread.

That means that as of this moment, I plan to be here for next year - but if we go any further down the electronic road, I won't be back the year after.

See - I base my decisions on evidence - not wishes.....

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 2

:tongue:

That may be what you wish you heard, but I didn't say that (which makes me doubt the veracity of your statement all the more).

What I said was that I will stay or leave based on what I see and hear on the field, not what you claim but cannot substantiate in a DCP thread.

That means that as of this moment, I plan to be here for next year - but if we go any further down the electronic road, I won't be back the year after.

See - I base my decisions on evidence - not wishes.....

Well, you'll go if you choose.

It appears that my OP did not apply to you. That's good. You're one of the smart ones.

Why are you arguing? Because someone else may have knowledge you don't? OK, you win.

What I heard is that you'e staying to see what happens, and that you have this electronic "line" that must not be crossed for you to stay.

That's all good, IMO.

You don't need anything from me to do that or not. I get it.