Madison Scouts 2013

As someone who marched with the Scouts in '74 (aged out that year unfortunately), I'll give you my answer.

First, Santa Clara marched an inspired show and we performed tentatively. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. There are a couple of interesting and little known facts that contribute to the performance levels of that night.

Santa Clara, as defending champions would normally perform last. However, they did not want to perform after us so their management made a risky but ultimately brilliant decision to perform in their prelim slot -- second to last -- ahead of the Scouts.

Meanwhile, our staff made a decision to make a few drill changes for finals (to reduce exposure). As a consequence we were thinking about the changes rather than thinking about putting on a great show. In addition, we actually had a couple guys collide on the field as a result of screwing up one of the changes in drill, which of course affected the confidence of the members who saw it occur.

After nearly 40 years, talking about this still hurts.

PS -- Thank you for your nice comments about our '74 show. I am proud to have been part of the magical year.

Two things. First, was there a problem that evening with the mallet instruments in Slaughter? Listening to the recording, it seems as if the arpeggios played by the mallet players were seriously out of tune with the horn line. That always struck me, because I don't recall that issue, and I saw Madison several times that summer.

Second, every time I see your signature with the years you marched, I have to marvel at your perseverance. Those first couple of years in the corps were pretty lean years. Bravo to you for sticking it out.

• Like 1

As someone who marched with the Scouts in '74 (aged out that year unfortunately), I'll give you my answer.

First, Santa Clara marched an inspired show and we performed tentatively. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. There are a couple of interesting and little known facts that contribute to the performance levels of that night.

Santa Clara, as defending champions would normally perform last. However, they did not want to perform after us so their management made a risky but ultimately brilliant decision to perform in their prelim slot -- second to last -- ahead of the Scouts.

Meanwhile, our staff made a decision to make a few drill changes for finals (to reduce exposure). As a consequence we were thinking about the changes rather than thinking about putting on a great show. In addition, we actually had a couple guys collide on the field as a result of screwing up one of the changes in drill, which of course affected the confidence of the members who saw it occur.

After nearly 40 years, talking about this still hurts.

PS -- Thank you for your nice comments about our '74 show. I am proud to have been part of the magical year.

Gary...What a show in 74'!! In 1974, Madison defined for the Drum Corps world the epitome of power and finesse! This was a show and corps that set the field and fans on fire! That horn line was unparalleled! The bar was certainly raised more than a few notches by Madison for the activity to follow the summer of 74'...What an experience!

Instead of Madison relying on the confidence of the success of the entirety of the summer and the overwhelming 1st place finish in prelims in Ithaca, I believe the fatal error came down to unnecessary over analysis and fear on behalf of certain instructional staff. Instead of relying on experience and confidence and unleashing the Men in Green to perform the show of their lives, the staff got nervous and panicked at the 11th hour and focused on a "phantom" fear of visual exposure by throwing the guys a major curve ball by changing drill...by arching up straight lines. This was a recipe for disaster...GO WITH WHAT GOT YOU THERE!

Because of this fatal decision, we never experienced the full potential of the finals show by the Madison Scouts that should have been left on the field that fateful night in 1974.

As a side bar, I would hate to have been Mr. Linley who fell down that evening...I know that he carried that burden for many years and may still. What a heavy emotional ball and chain.

Gary...What a show in 74'!! In 1974, Madison defined for the Drum Corps world the epitome of power and finesse! This was a show and corps that set the field and fans on fire! That horn line was unparalleled! The bar was certainly raised more than a few notches by Madison for the activity to follow the summer of 74'...What an experience!

Instead of Madison relying on the confidence of the success of the entirety of the summer and the overwhelming 1st place finish in prelims in Ithaca, I believe the fatal error came down to unnecessary over analysis and fear on behalf of certain instructional staff. Instead of relying on experience and confidence and unleashing the Men in Green to perform the show of their lives, the staff got nervous and panicked at the 11th hour and focused on a "phantom" fear of visual exposure by throwing the guys a major curve ball by changing drill...by arching up straight lines. This was a recipe for disaster...GO WITH WHAT GOT YOU THERE!

Because of this fatal decision, we never experienced the full potential of the finals show by the Madison Scouts that should have been left on the field that fateful night in 1974.

As a side bar, I would hate to have been Mr. Linley who fell down that evening...I know that he carried that burden for many years and may still. What a heavy emotional ball and chain.

I also marched that year, played French Horn and saw the collision and ultimate slip. We were on late, the grass was getting wet with dew. I think it happened so fast, we weren't sure what to do, we hadn't had a fall all year. You could always tell how we were doing in a show that year by the look on Jimmy Elvord's face if you could see him in the stands. I briefly caught his face at the end of the opemer and he seemed pretty happy, so I thought we were doing OK that night.

Second, every time I see your signature with the years you marched, I have to marvel at your perseverance. Those first couple of years in the corps were pretty lean years. Bravo to you for sticking it out.

Maybe it was perseverance Jim. Maybe I was just crazy.

But I am one of the few Scouts (along with those who marched with me during this strange span of years, like my good friend Jim Linley and future director Scott Stewart), who can say they experienced both the worst of the Scouts (I think we placed 22nd in 1968) and arguably the best of the Scouts (in 1974). As an experience to build character, I was blessed.

The climb from oblivion to greatness is something that most people, regardless of the activity, do not get to experience. Especially these days in Drum Corps when it is difficult to move a handful of places over the course of a decade.

Did I say I was blessed? I marched with Hall of Famers Jimmy Elvord and Scott Stewart. I played the music of, and under the direction of, Ray Baumgardt. And I was part of the small group of members who stayed as a Madison Scout when the corps split into two after the 1968 season (the other half or more went to the newly formed 32nd Hussars). Most people do not appreciate how close the Scouts came to folding after the '68 season. Without Bill Howard (another Hall of Famer) taking over, the Madison Scouts would only be a distant memory instead of celebrating our 75th anniversary this year. And because I stuck it out and helped the corps survive through a very bad time, is maybe why is cannot sing "Never Walk" without choking up.

All of my beloved Band of Brothers have had experiences to treasure. But only a few of us have gone from worst to (almost) first. I am the better man for it.

Gary

• Like 2

In spite of taking second place overall at Finals, I still take pride in knowing we won horns for the second year in a row!

I don't make this claim, but my good friend Dave Scott, who is not an alum but is a Drum Corps aficionado , tells me all the time that the '74 hornline was superior to the '75 hornline. I am skeptical, but bask in the wonderfulness of the comment anyway.

Gary

• Like 1

In spite of taking second place overall at Finals, I still take pride in knowing we won horns for the second year in a row!

I don't make this claim, but my good friend Dave Scott, who is not an alum but is a Drum Corps aficionado , tells me all the time that the '74 hornline was superior to the '75 hornline. I am skeptical, but bask in the wonderfulness of the comment anyway.

Gary

Thanks for the compliment! It was an honor to march with you and Jim Lindley in the Chicago Royal-Airs Reunion Corps, and to call you both dear friends. I don't claim to be an expert, but it the opinion of this old drum corps dinosaur, the '74 Scouts' horn line did have an edge over the '75 line.

Gary

Gary, there may be some of my brothers from 75'or others that may disagree, but I feel that Dave Scott has a valid argument. As good as we were in 75' along with winning the top horn line honors; there was something about that horn line in 74' that simply placed it on a different level. I've probably listened to recordings of both horn lines several hundred times over the years, but the recording I always gravitate to as an example of musical perfection is the 74' line. As a matter of fact, over these many years I've had people from all walks of life listen to the 74' Scouts, and everyone is truly amazed at the fines and musicality. Most people respond by saying things like "that’s the most powerful and exciting jazz/big band type sound I've ever heard"...and then when I've ended up explaining and telling them that it's drum corps, they’ve always been absolutely astounded! The performance and sound of the 74' line was simply mesmerizing!

Gary

Gary, there may be some of my brothers from 75'or others that may disagree, but I feel that Dave Scott has a valid argument. As good as we were in 75' along with winning the top horn line honors; there was something about that horn line in 74' that simply placed it on a different level. I've probably listened to recordings of both horn lines several hundred times over the years, but the recording I always gravitate to as an example of musical perfection is the 74' line. As a matter of fact, over these many years I've had people from all walks of life listen to the 74' Scouts, and everyone is truly amazed at the finesse and musicality. Most people respond by saying things like "that’s the most powerful and exciting jazz/big band type sound I've ever heard"...and then when I've ended up explaining and telling them that it's drum corps, they’ve always been absolutely astounded! The performance and sound of the 74' line was simply mesmerizing!

Edited by Mad75