Your personal favorite top 10 years of drum corps.

I figured between silly predictions, bickering of who should've won who didn't, that we should have a nice laid back ranking thread to kick off the off-season.

So, the idea is to rank your favorite years of all time, just for fun! Its always interesting to see who ranks what years higher than others. smile.gif Feel free to add why you rank certain years higher than others.

Heres mine:

1. 1989

2. 2011

3. 2008

4. 2000

5. 1993

6. 1991

7. 2007

8. 1996

9. 1987

10. 1992

Cheers.

1982(Undefeated BD, top 25 amazing)

1985(Loved the entire season and every show)

1990(Top six on fire, bottom six smoldering, rest of the top 25 amazing)

1989(Return of the Freelancers, SCV/PR battle..BD excellent)

2012(first year in 33 years I can say I enjoyed every top 12 show)

1984(BD/SCV/PR/Garfield dog fight, LOved the stadium..kissed my friend during her victory run, right at the sideline)

1988(Top 12, wow....Crossmen, Freelancers, Dutchboy..amazing)

1994(Followed BD like a stalker around the country entire summer (almost got fired) ..SCV/PR/Madison)

1991(Loved the top 12 that year..loved the top 25 that year)

1981(A non stop spectacle of signature corps shows)

Thats this week

G

1. 1978 - Top 4 battling right up to Denver (SCV, Phantom, BD, and the Scouts). SCV win! (My favorite show ever!)

2. 1980 - my favorite top 12 to see and listen to. 27th, Bridgemen, Spirit, even Crossmen and Northstar

3. 1981 - SCV back on top. Cadets really starting their run. Great show from Troopers and Sky Ryders at Whitewater

4. 1988 - Scouts and BD were awesome! Best of SCV's Phantom show

5. 1989 - SCV back on top again. Crossmen back in finals

6. 1992 - Crossmen really great. SCV with the Fiddler show

7. 1986 - Great BD corps.

8. 1979 - First set of DCI albums I purchased. Wore them out in a few years.

9. 1975 - Scouts show unreal. Metzger wailing. BD really explodes on the scene.

10. 1977 - First time I watched Finals live on PBS

Sorry if I double posted or worse. Have gotten out of practice!

Congratulations DCI on a great 40th anniversary season!

Edited by the hammer

I'll bite. Most of my choices were years where there was great depth - both performance and entertainment-wise - across the top 12. I'm only ranking the years I've attended live (89-2012).

1. 1992 - From VK's last tour-de-force to a stellar top 8 which included one of my favorite Cadets show, to a sparkling Star, an emotional SCV, an incredible 8th place Regiment 1812, and Cavies first championship, this year had it all.

2. 1995 - Hard choice between this & 92. Two all time great audience engaging emotional shows with Cadets & Madison, and awesome depth all through the top 12 - oh yeah, plus Regiment's Rachmaninoff & a spectacular BD. Colts, Bluecoats & Glassmen were all terrific this year too

3. 1989 - Legendary, heartfelt performances from SCV, Phantom Regiment, and Cadets (Les Mis is still my all time fav for Cadets, just in front of 92), and many other stellar shows like BD's last glorious melodic show.

4. 2008 - Maybe the best top 4 ever? Spartacus remains my all time favorite show, and I loved nearly everyone in top 12 this particular year. Even the Cadets unappealing NPR show had a spectacular ending.

5. 2000 - DC made for a spectacular setting, and the corps did not disappoint. Cavies & Cadets were spectacular, BD's Pshyco show was my all time favorite from BD, Boston Crusaders Red tore the house down, SCV was passionate & emotional, and Regiment down in 7th played one of my alltime favorite music books & performances (oh to see that music book with Jamie Thompson & the current guard staff at the helm...)

6. 1999 - Another year with just a ton of great shows, from the spectular BD & SCV championship tying shows to Cavies modern rennassaince, a fitting Cadets NY show, and all the way down to a delicious Jeckyl & Hyde music book from Crown in 11th and my all time favorite Colts show in 12th.

7. 2006 - A stellar year for the top 3, with Cavies Machine, Regiment's Faust, and BD's Godfather headlining a top 12 that had terrific depth, including one of my favorite Crown shows with Intrancit and BK's dark masterpiece.

8. 1990 - The year I marched plays a bias here I'm sure, but what a top 12, with magical shows from Cadets, Cavaliers, BD's terrific Tommy, Regiment's first run at Bachannale, SCV's passionate Carmen - and oh yeah - my favorite Star Show and one of the best brass books ever played with Belshazzar's Feast.

9. 2007 - A spectacular Pasadena setting brought a really deep top 12. While the top 3 is far from my favorite top 3, the 4th-7th spots may have never been more entertaining, with Regiment's On Air (one of the most played tracks on my iPod, by far), SCV's Eureka, Crown's Triple Crown & Bluecoats Criminal all being huge crowd favorites. Also a great year for BK and for Colts

10. 2011 - Maybe not the most solid top 12 ever, but how do you go wrong with Regiment's Juliet, Crown's Rach Star & Scout's 9-11 show?

Harvey