Attendance at Finals

Was supposed to be 2014 or 2015 but the conflict has been resolved. There will be no off year. DADA LOS is still alive!

Doh, posted before I saw this. And it's SIX more years, btw. :shutup:

actually 2008 was the first year in LOS but the stadium wasn't ready so they used Bloomington instead. the contract was for 10 years starting in 2008. 5 down, 5 to go.

Just for the record...Lucas Oil Stadium is not a dome. Many have referred to it as such; but it's an enclosed stadium, not a domed one.

It's not a pet peeve of mine quite like seeing "Blue Coats," but I might allow it to become one.

Please think of your friendly neighborhood Boo before writing the word "dome."

I've got season withdrawal, so I've got to complain about something. :tongue:

• Like 1

2012 was the first year I have missed championshis week since 1980....Im tired of Indianapolis, I liked driving to Foxboro, and Buffalo, taking the train to Madison, flying to Jackson, etc......every year now, its the same ole, same view, same city, same routine, same restaurants, etc......

At first I thought this is a good point, but then I realized I've been going to the same show at Allentown since the early 80's. It actually felt weird when they moved that show temporarily to Philly.

I look forward to picnicking there with alumni every year. This past year, the Crossmen Alumni had their biggest gathering in ages. They even had a reunion of the '82 snareline including Robbie Robinson and Mark Thurston. Seeing them all play again was heaven.

Having an event in the same venue can also be an opportunity for building up traditions like that to take advantage of the familiarity. Maybe DCI should encourage tailgating at the stadium. We rented an RV and did this, but no one else was. It was even hard for the stadium personnel to figure out where to allow us to park.

This was my first time to Indy and I have to agree that the place is kind of "blah" to visit. Had the 10-year contract been signed with a place like New Orleans, I guarantee few people would be bored going every year.

DCI would be smart to schedule future DCI championships in smaller stadiums, perhaps a division 2 college. Drum Corps isn't big enough to have any shows in big time stadiums like LOS, The Georgia Dome, etc... College stadiums that have 20 to 25K seats on the concert side would be perfect.

• Like 3

you know when I go to finals week I go for drum corps, not for whatever stupid attractions there are in the area. I couldn't care less where the show is held I would attend because I wanted to see finals week. And when I'm there I go to the shows, and when there aren't any shows I will go find a corps practice facility and watch that. finals week is about drum corps, what else do you need?

• Like 3

DCI would be smart to schedule future DCI championships in smaller stadiums, perhaps a division 2 college. Drum Corps isn't big enough to have any shows in big time stadiums like LOS, The Georgia Dome, etc... College stadiums that have 20 to 25K seats on the concert side would be perfect.

Yea that is true. A giant circus tent would be nice if it were possible. overhead protection is good given the weather in the mid west so I understand the use of LOS. I just wish they could find a place with better acoustics. Stanford sounds great but the seats are really cramped.

This was my first time to Indy and I have to agree that the place is kind of "blah" to visit. Had the 10-year contract been signed with a place like New Orleans, I guarantee few people would be bored going every year.

Though I'm not sure how many would ever make their way over to see the show! :tongue:

I do hope to get there one year, at least for Thursday and possibly Friday. IMO, those two days are a great value.... a whole bunch of corps for the ticket price.

Just from seeing the stadium on the cinecast, one thing that strikes me about it is the multiple levels, which separate the audience... no one big "concert side" with no separation. I wonder if that takes away a bit of the "drum corps fan bonding" experience. I don't know... I haven't been there yet.

It does kill the drum corps fan bonding, it kills the energy of the entire crowd…it’s the most passive, dead crowd I’ve seen for finals….not sure how it reads back from the field but a lot of energy that can go back and forth from the crowd and the corps on the field seems lost to me, as one in the crowd….maybe it’s the big comfy chairs that suck people into compliancy?

Besides the vertical separation there is a fair bit of boxed off, horizontal separation, especially on the 200 level where it seems some sections are their own box, the glass walls just make the separation worse

This year for Crown only and in a sort of strange way, was about the only time I felt the audience around me…they were rather rabid about Crown and very much trying to make a point

I don’t think shows like Spartacus are possible in the dome, tank, Boo’s-Band-Box in the cornfields aka ‘enclosed stadium’

I find the vibe of the place oppressive…it’s this big, dark room, super-chilled with stale air that seems to be a world onto its own mocking any outside existence. It’s just not a fun place to be for three days and does nothing for my end of summer tan

As a stadium, it does have nice amenities – I don’t find the prices bad (as compared to Chicago Pro-stadium prices).

One thing that bugs me though is the fans really have yet to figure out how to maneuver, function in this stadium environment – so much inefficiency is due to confused fans. As a baseball season ticket holder and a patron of all sorts of stadiums all around the nation, I feel I should write a how-to post covering basic stadium etiquette so that we can all get around and get what we want in a more timely manner

I hate the Oil Can, too, though I'm too much of a sucker, and I will keep going. The broken up 6 levels does kill the communcal fan experience, and the accoustics are terrible. Night & Day compared to the wonderful accoustics in Denver, the Meadowlands, Madison, and other places, for sure.

Completely disagree with the poster that said DCI can't fill up large stadiums anymore. Simply go back to look at Denver in 2004, Madison in 2006, or Pasadena in 2007 as Exhibits A, B & C...

Harvey

I hate the Oil Can, too, though I'm too much of a sucker, and I will keep going. The broken up 6 levels does kill the communcal fan experience, and the accoustics are terrible. Night & Day compared to the wonderful accoustics in Denver, the Meadowlands, Madison, and other places, for sure.

Completely disagree with the poster that said DCI can't fill up large stadiums anymore. Simply go back to look at Denver in 2004, Madison in 2006, or Pasadena in 2007 as Exhibits A, B & C...

Harvey

DCI can't fill up big stadiums that are static and never change. Lucas Oil will NEVER have the same vibe that places like Madison in '99 had, or Bloomington in '08.... Hell, I'd even give Foxboro ('05) or Orlando Drums in the Slums (in '03 even) a huge edge over LOS in terms of providing an environment suitable for crowd reaction and thrilling, epic shows.

Again, I live in Indianapolis. And I can't stand it. MOVE IT!