Blue Devils Visually Perfect?

Blue Devils at finals got perfect scores for both Visual judges in General Effect and in both Analysis and Guard in the Visual caption. Are we to take it that their performance, aside from Proficiency, which was won by Crown, was the perfect, best ever Visual performance by a corps in history?

I can see them being the best corps this year, though I greatly dislike it, as their show is not to my taste (I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes). But I really can't see any justification for perfect scores, unless I'm misunderstanding the system.

• Like 4

The ranking and the spread are the only things that matter. So if BD got a 20.0 the judges thought they were at least that many tenths better than Crown or Phantom. Possibly the judges were hemmed in by the limit of 20.0 for that matter.

very true and if phantom or Crown's score had been 3 tenths lower leaving more room above would the spread have actually been bigger because the judge now had more room to go up from the previous corps? Did the 20 maximum keep Crown and Phantom closer to BD than they should have been due to numbers management issues? I did notice that the spreads were not just .1 above the next corps but .2 in some cases. this means the judge purposefully put a larger spread there and if he had more room the spread may have been even larger.

• Like 2

very true and if phantom or Crown's score had been 3 tenths lower leaving more room above would the spread have actually been bigger because the judge now had more room to go up from the previous corps? Did the 20 maximum keep Crown and Phantom closer to BD than they should have been due to numbers management issues? I did notice that the spreads were not just .1 above the next corps but .2 in some cases. this means the judge purposefully put a larger spread there and if he had more room the spread may have been even larger.

Some of the spreads were as high as 0.5 I believe. We can't know if they would have given BD a bigger spread had they been able to. And in fact, they may have given everyone a different spread if they had their druthers. But they're inevitably pinned in by the first score they give and the 20.0 barrier.

Of course, it's also possible a judge or two just pinned a 20.0 on them for effect, so to speak, a way to say "awesome" with the last corps in the last show. I mean, if its your last score to give in the last show of the season and you think they blew it out of the park, maybe you just mark it 20.0 and don't think so much about the spread.

Regardless, doesn't really matter. BD's margin was big enough that they would have won even if they'd gotten just 0.1 over the second place corps in each caption, or if Crown had maxed out each of its winning captions to 20.0.

Only if both things had happened with 8 or 9 of the 10 judges could Crown have pulled out the win.

Edited by skywhopper

Blue Devils at finals got perfect scores for both Visual judges in General Effect and in both Analysis and Guard in the Visual caption. Are we to take it that their performance, aside from Proficiency, which was won by Crown, was the perfect, best ever Visual performance by a corps in history?

While we're on this subject: did Blue Devils and Carolina Crown actually tie for the John Brazale Best Visual Performance Award, as announced by Brandt Crocker and repeated in Michael Boo's recap analysis, or not? In order for corps to tie for a caption award, that caption's average score for the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, would have to be a tie, and that caption's score for Saturday would have to be a tie. I'm not sure which visual number I'm supposed to be looking at for this award (there is no caption called "visual performance") but I don't see any ties between BD and Crown under that heading on Saturday.

I really think the scoring system should be done such that the corps that is in first place should be 0.00, then the second place score listed as how many points they are behind the 1st place corps,,,,example -1.05, and so on down the line. The notion that there is a perfect performance in drum corps is a far fetch. Caption awards could still be given out based on a score by the individual judge(s).

I know they expanded GE to two judges for each visual and music. I think they should actually do the same for other captions as well.

• Like 1

"(I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes)"

To the OP: it's really okay to listen to Blue Devils' drums and brass while they perform their show. They did some utterly fantastic work this year...

• Like 7

I can see them being the best corps this year, though I greatly dislike it, as their show is not to my taste (I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes). But I really can't see any justification for perfect scores, unless I'm misunderstanding the system.

Given that BD didn't win all of the visual categories (i.e Visual Proficiency), I think you answered your own question...

• Like 1