Blue Devils Visually Perfect?

I would have been more than willing to say that BD was "perfect" in some captions, if they had the same respect and willingness to give Crown the same in the captions in which they deserved it.

the problem is that you can't give the 2nd to last corps to perform the maximum score, because what if the last corps to perform is better? You have to leave room for that possibility.

Unless of course, the outcome is decided before all the corps get a chance to perform...

They did not receive a 'perfect score'. They received a 'maximum score'.

I've never thought of it that way before, despite the obvious nature of it...but you are absolutely correct.

• Like 1

While we're on this subject: did Blue Devils and Carolina Crown actually tie for the John Brazale Best Visual Performance Award, as announced by Brandt Crocker and repeated in Michael Boo's recap analysis, or not? In order for corps to tie for a caption award, that caption's average score for the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, would have to be a tie, and that caption's score for Saturday would have to be a tie. I'm not sure which visual number I'm supposed to be looking at for this award (there is no caption called "visual performance") but I don't see any ties between BD and Crown under that heading on Saturday.

That was indeed on the sheet that both Brandt and I were presented with, and you are correct that the tie-breaker for the caption awards (which are added up from across all three nights) is the Finals score, and the corps weren't tied in Finals. I have heard nothing about this since.

We have had ties between two corps announced for caption awards in the past, (Visual in 1990 and 2001, Percussion in 1984 and 1987, and Brass in 1985 and 1987, and one year, 1984, when Cadets, BD and SCV all tied for High Brass...when the rules were different than they are now).

I don't know what, if anything, has been or will be done about this. I suspect most wouldn't mind if we just moved on.

That was indeed on the sheet that both Brandt and I were presented with [...]

I don't know what, if anything, has been or will be done about this. I suspect most wouldn't mind if we just moved on.

Thanks for the reply!

Wow, that ties for the most profound thing I've ever heard you say!

We have had ties between two corps announced for caption awards in the past, (Visual in 1990 and 2001, Percussion in 1984 and 1987, and Brass in 1985 and 1987, and one year, 1984, when Cadets, BD and SCV all tied for High Brass...when the rules were different than they are now).

Didn't Cadets score 20 in percussion in 87 (spoiler: I know that they did)?! How was there a tie: did they average the scores that year for the Caption award?

Also, there were other years for ties, right? I seem to remember a tie for brass in 95, and a tie in percussion in 1991.

Granted, I'm at the age where my "useless-in-real-life" drum corps trivia knowledge is fading, so it's possible I'm mistaken.

YES please

Didn't Cadets score 20 in percussion in 87 (spoiler: I know that they did)?! How was there a tie: did they average the scores that year for the Caption award?

Also, there were other years for ties, right? I seem to remember a tie for brass in 95, and a tie in percussion in 1991.

Granted, I'm at the age where my "useless-in-real-life" drum corps trivia knowledge is fading, so it's possible I'm mistaken.

I don't have those on the Excel sheet I was provided when I wrote the dialogue talking points for Mike Cesario and Steve Rondinaro when they recorded each year's introduction for the Legacy Series. That doesn't mean that the Excel sheet is correct.

As for how they figured out the caption awards in 1987, I don't know. Give me a couple days and I can come back and lie to you that I do know. :tongue:

the problem is that you can't give the 2nd to last corps to perform the maximum score, because what if the last corps to perform is better? You have to leave room for that possibility.

Unless of course, the outcome is decided before all the corps get a chance to perform...

Garfield went on next to last in in 87 and received perfect scores in percussion.