Blue Devils Visually Perfect?

That was indeed on the sheet that both Brandt and I were presented with, and you are correct that the tie-breaker for the caption awards (which are added up from across all three nights) is the Finals score, and the corps weren't tied in Finals. I have heard nothing about this since.

We have had ties between two corps announced for caption awards in the past, (Visual in 1990 and 2001, Percussion in 1984 and 1987, and Brass in 1985 and 1987, and one year, 1984, when Cadets, BD and SCV all tied for High Brass...when the rules were different than they are now).

I don't know what, if anything, has been or will be done about this. I suspect most wouldn't mind if we just moved on.

Other than those that knew John well, know that he would be rolling over in his grave if the tie remained...lol

To the OP: it's really okay to listen to Blue Devils' drums and brass while they perform their show. They did some utterly fantastic work this year...

Well, they did cover up two of the most beautiful musical moments in their show with pre-recorded noise, so for those of us who do want to listen to the drums and brass, as you suggest, they made it a challenge. :doh:

I don't know what, if anything, has been or will be done about this. I suspect most wouldn't mind if we just moved on.

Given the emphasis put on historic scores and caption award stats by fans and by DCI in various forums, I'm surprised to hear this. Why give the award if it's not important who won it?

the problem is that you can't give the 2nd to last corps to perform the maximum score, because what if the last corps to perform is better? You have to leave room for that possibility.

Unless of course, the outcome is decided before all the corps get a chance to perform...

The problem with the above is that the judge is supposed to rank (the placement) AND rate (the spread) the corps as the perform. If, for example, the 3rd to last corps got a 9.8 out of 10 (to keep it simple) and after watching the 2nd to last corps they judge felt there should be a .2 spread, that judge must give the 2nd to last corps the 10.0 and just hope that the last corps on is not better. Otherwise, the judge is not doing his/her job properly with the 2nd to last corps. If the last corps ends up being better...it gets a 10.0 as well, and the judge got boxed in.

You just can't underscore one corps on the chance that a subsequent corps might or might not be better. What if you gave the 2nd to last corps a 9.9 to "save space" and the last corps should have fit in between? You either over or underscore the last corps, and now you have mis-scored two corps.

That was indeed on the sheet that both Brandt and I were presented with, and you are correct that the tie-breaker for the caption awards (which are added up from across all three nights) is the Finals score, and the corps weren't tied in Finals. I have heard nothing about this since.

We have had ties between two corps announced for caption awards in the past, (Visual in 1990 and 2001, Percussion in 1984 and 1987, and Brass in 1985 and 1987, and one year, 1984, when Cadets, BD and SCV all tied for High Brass...when the rules were different than they are now).

Just to correct: beginning in 1984 (build-up system):

High Visual Tie: 1984, 1987, 1990 (not 2001)

High DRUM Tie: 1991 (not 1984 and certainly not 1987---I just checked the tape, and he announced Garfield only.)

High Brass Tie: 1984 (3), 1985, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1995

GE: 1990, 1991

They didn't start adding/averaging to secure a caption winner until recently. Frankly, since DCI no longer uses a tiebreaker or averages total scores from one night to the next, why do those things w/ captions?

The best place to go is fromthepressbox.com to find scores from 1972-2012. It's about 99% accurate.

I was pretty startled at the VisAnalysis and CG spreads from 1st to 2nd -- 0.5 and 0.4, respectively. That's pretty dramatic. I can't really say it's not warranted, but THAT much better??

BTW -- one complaint about the BD guard. If those hulahoops had been flags with silks, they would have looked wildly and clearly out of synch. Just a thought. They're probably held to the same standards as weapons, which aren't necessarily expected (these days) to be perfectly in synch during spins (sorry, don't know the lingo) -- the catch being most important, I suppose?

I would have been more than willing to say that BD was "perfect" in some captions, if they had the same respect and willingness to give Crown the same in the captions in which they deserved it.

didn't Crown get a 10 in one of the visual subcaptions?

Just to correct: beginning in 1984 (build-up system):

High Visual Tie: 1984, 1987, 1990 (not 2001)

High DRUM Tie: 1991 (not 1984 and certainly not 1987---I just checked the tape, and he announced Garfield only.)

High Brass Tie: 1984 (3), 1985, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1995

GE: 1990, 1991

They didn't start adding/averaging to secure a caption winner until recently. Frankly, since DCI no longer uses a tiebreaker or averages total scores from one night to the next, why do those things w/ captions?

The best place to go is fromthepressbox.com to find scores from 1972-2012. It's about 99% accurate.

I thought it was a 3 way tie for drums in 1991 (Star, SCV, Cavies) and 3 way tie in brass in 1995 (Cadets, Madison, BD)?

my bad they got 10 in GE Music 1 Performance which BD got a 9.8 and Phantom got a 9.9.