DCA Annapolis Predictions

Since Ream hasn't chimed in yet;

Open-the highest score wins

Class A-the highest score wins

Combined-THE AUDIENCE WINS!

and the guy writing prelims for DCW is a bum. but he will accept free beer

• Like 1

You mean to tell me that you can't tell from watching videos???

Hmmmmm....I bet you I know someone who can!! LOL

(Ok....sarcasm was on, then off...then on again....then...oh...nevermind....I can't tell either!!!)

i'll let you know after i watch video and check the lunar calendar

• Like 2

VEry funny.

When did the DCA forum become romper room??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You forgot someone said its not enough you have to be in the stadium to have a opinion you have to actually be marching to have a opinion.

Some people just need to know when to grow up.

psst...the DCA forums has always had a sense of "looseness" about it.

thanks for playing, I'll go back to romper room now

• Like 2

psst...the DCA forums has always had a sense of "looseness" about it.

thanks for playing, I'll go back to romper room now

I can get out the Romper Stompers and the Punchy clown guys that keep getting up when you smack them. I'll make sure you have a cookie or two for Prelims, man. I'll get a bag from the Pie Guys Cafe before I head down. Short of my Mom and I baking our homemade ones, they're close.

My sister had the Romper Stompers, and nowadays, those things would have Lawsuit written all over them. I'm lucky I didn't end up with both ankles demolished or the rest of me crippled from trying to walk on those when I was 7. :thumbup:

Oh, here's the link. They STILL make these things. I'm still suprised more deaths haven't been attributed to them. :satisfied:

http://www.retroland.com/romper-stompers/

• Like 1

No need to my friend. You sir have earned the entitlement of not growing up :tongue:

Its the kids that rode the short bus that need the help. :w00t: :w00t:

There's only a couple of "short bus passengers" I know of and they aren't on here. Everyone else seems to me to be quite knowlegeable and articulate. Most of them have way more experience than I do,in evaluating a corps ability to succeed.

I'm gonna learn from them. Seems the smart thing to do. :satisfied:

Thanx for the free pass, Ed. I don't relish the thought of wearing polyester slacks and driving with the turn signal on. I'd rather go to my grave in black leather and jeans. Or my kilt. :thumbup:

• Like 1

No bias at all. I really do think it's a toss up. Both corps have outstanding brass lines, but to say one is an easy repeat is crazy. MBI earned the trophy in 10 and 11, just as Bucs earned theirs in 09. I saw MBI in Bridgeport, and have seen them online. They rock. But to think they will have an easy time is not at all the case.

I don't think anyone has said that MBI will have an easy time of it. My comment was simply that to assume that the Bucs will win horns is just as specious an argument as to say that MBI will win horns. We just don't know. I simply offered the fact that MBI has won the horn trophy for two years in a row. And their staff hasn't changed a bit. I admit I went overboard to say that there is no reason why MBI wouldn't win it again. (Call it homerism :) )I agree that the Bucs have a stellar staff and a terrific talent level in the membership and that may be reason enough that they could take the horn trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I guess I just wanted to add a counter-argument to the assumption that the Bucs are "so far ahead of everyone" that it is futile to imagine anyone else taking the title. MBI may still take the horn title. MBI may still repeat with the guard title. Percussion? Who knows? MBI and the Bucs were .1 apart last year and .3 ahead of anyone else. Nevertheless, Minnesota Brass won all 4 of the major captions: Music, Visual, Effect and Communication. Ultimately in a tie with Minnesota Brass in visual.

Now, here's the rub: Visual. I agree with most critics that MBI has a problem with their visual program. Yet last year they tied with the Bucs. Due, perhaps, mainly to the amazing amount of body movement that MBI displays. I may be losing friends over the following statement but I have to call it as I see it... Minnesota Brass is a much better corps than the drills they've been given lately. I thought their 2005 drill was arguably the best in DCA. But recently they have been a bit of a snore. I haven't seen the latest changes so I can't accurately assess their progress this year. I was at the DCI Minnesota show and they were far better than I had expected.

Can I also point out something else?

Look at the DCA recaps for last year's championships.

Minnesota Brass won every major caption of Visual Total, Music Total, Effect Total & Communication Total. The Buccaneers won the sub-captions of Visual Ensemble and Percussion.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone has said that MBI will have an easy time of it. My comment was simply that to assume that the Bucs will win horns is just as specious an argument as to say that MBI will win horns. We just don't know. I simply offered the fact that MBI has won the horn trophy for two years in a row. And their staff hasn't changed a bit. I admit I went overboard to say that there is no reason why MBI wouldn't win it again. (Call it homerism :) )I agree that the Bucs have a stellar staff and a terrific talent level in the membership and that may be reason enough that they could take the horn trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I guess I just wanted to add a counter-argument to the assumption that the Bucs are "so far ahead of everyone" that it is futile to imagine anyone else taking the title. MBI may still take the horn title. MBI may still repeat with the guard title. Percussion? Who knows? MBI and the Bucs were .1 apart last year and .3 ahead of anyone else. Nevertheless, Minnesota Brass won all 4 of the major captions: Music, Visual, Effect and Communication. Ultimately in a tie with Minnesota Brass in visual.

Now, here's the rub: Visual. I agree with most critics that MBI has a problem with their visual program. Yet last year they tied with the Bucs. Due, perhaps, mainly to the amazing amount of body movement that MBI displays. I may be losing friends over the following statement but I have to call it as I see it... Minnesota Brass is a much better corps than the drills they've been given lately. I thought their 2005 drill was arguably the best in DCA. But recently they have been a bit of a snore. I haven't seen the latest changes so I can't accurately assess their progress this year. I was at the DCI Minnesota show and they were far better than I had expected.

Can I also point out something else?

Look at the DCA recaps for last year's championships.

Minnesota Brass won every major caption of Visual Total, Music Total, Effect Total & Communication Total. The Buccaneers won the sub-captions of Visual Ensemble and Percussion.

That was last year. Staffs can remain the same, etc. but things can change for the better or worse. I know this from experience. The corps can be better in some ways yet fall off in placement. One of the things helping MBI is their position as defending champions, to a point. It does give them some psychological edge if they handle that well. The main thing most people agree on is that the eventual champion will have to perform whatever program that is given them at an extremely high level to win.

MBI has historically had "issues" with visual package for decades..., but again, they got things together enough last year to win. Part of it is perhaps the Bucs' visual package was not quite what was needed last season in several very subtle aspects. But that's last year. The Bucs visual package this year is much better in the ways it wasn't last season. We'll just have to wait until both corps come into contact at prelims and see who can put forth the better effort this time. The 1.6 difference is just close enough to make me uncertain about the end results. That's not a lot of shifts in perception from a panel at all.

and the guy writing prelims for DCW is a bum. but he will accept free beer

nice! i find the whole red/green thing laughable, but i geta red mark for calling myself a bum! Love it!

( if this doesnt show how worthless those marks are....)

• Like 2

nice! i find the whole red/green thing laughable, but i geta red mark for calling myself a bum! Love it!

( if this doesnt show how worthless those marks are....)

"forgive him, for he knows not what he does"

:smile: