Is it just me

It's been a week and a half since finals, and I decided to wait a while to start this thread, to give myself more time to reflect on the entire season. Is it just me, or was this the most unusual season since DCI started 40 years ago?

In the spirit of 93 Star, we had one of the more controversial shows of the season with Blue Devils. Kind of an odd show musically and visually. I personally am hoping this is not the direction BD is going to keep going in the future. They have always been one of my favorite corps, but it didn't seem like this type of show really connected with the audience, although the judges seemed to eat it up.

Then we have the Cadets who performed of all things. Christmas music. Nice performance, but it was so hard to get into a show of this nature.

Then we have 4 corps this season who performed music from Phantom of the Opera. This includes Music City who had one of the most unusual musical books I have ever heard. The kids performed it well, but most of the people around us were like what the heck???

Then we had the Cavaliers debate of what in the world happened to them this year, even though at the end of the season, they had a very nice show. Over the last decade we have had so many people criticizing them on how every show sounds the same, and one year where they try something a little different, these same people are complaining that Cavaliers just aren't the same. And to top it off, on a year when they seem to be having an off year, 3 different corps play music that is usually associated with Cavaliers. That includes Blue Knights, who had another one of the more unusual shows this year.

We also had an unusual year, where a corps not even placing in the top 17, was one of the crowd favorites. Jersey Surf had an amazing show this year, and it was so nice that people who usually don't pay attention to corps placing out of the top 8, actually giving up the love for a corps whose placement 2 years ago wouldn't have even made semifinals. Another example of a lower place corps really seeing love is the Colts soloist for All By Myself. I have never liked that song, but the Colts version this year was amazing. How often have you seen a corps who is placing 17th, and their soloist gets a standing ovation with almost a minute to go in the show. I am not sure I have ever seen this happen prior to this years finals.

On the disappointing side, we had 5 corps that didn't even make it to Thursday and Prelims. I might be wrong, but I can't remember a year where that many corps folded, or ended their season early, since either the late 70s or early 80s.

And then we take the smallest corps during finals week, Blue Saints tackling Phillip Glass Canyon, and surprising a lot of people with a decent performance of it from such a small corps.

Then we had several controversial placements, with BD/Crown, Blue Stars/Crossmen, and Oregon Crusaders/Troopers. I think the biggest shock was Crossmen making finals over Blue Stars. I really loved the Crossmen show this year, but really felt Blue Stars had a better performance on Friday night. And most of the people around us that week were really pulling for a Crown upset, and wondered how Troopers ever beat Oregon Crusaders. And people were split on Blue Stars/Crossmen it seemed like. I think most people were happy for Crossmen, disappointed for Blue Stars, and just thought it was kind of odd how such a big deal was made before Blue Stars even performed their show. It almost seemed like it was set up that way.

It also seemed like there was more talk of finances than normal, probably due to the 5 corps ending their season early. And just when you thought that would be the end of weirdness, someone on DCP actually had a problem with DCI having a live blogger during the live shows, and questioned Michael Boo's bias. I have read so many articles by Mr. Boo over the years, and almost laughed out loud when I read that thread. I have never found Mr. Boo to be biased, from what I understand of his live blogs, which I did not read, he just writes about what is going on during the show. And never once in the many years of reading his columns, have I ever heard him say something like, "That corps was simply dreadful, their drill designer/musical arranger should be shot", which are comments I have heard in the stands. He doesn't necessarily favor any corps, and a good portion of what I have seen him writing, is very similar to my own views on a lot of shows.

But I think my favorite of the unusual things this summer, was the amount of appreciation shown for the lower placing corps. I think I heard more compliments for non finalist corps than ever before. Jersey Surf, Colts, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, Academy, Glassmen, Vanguard Cadets, and Blue Devils B all had great comments/response from the crowds, and on DCP. And for the first time, the lower placing corps are finally getting some well deserved recognition.

So what did you find kind of odd or weird this season? And can you think of another year where it has been this unusual?

• Like 7

So what did you find kind of odd or weird this season? And can you think of another year where it has been this unusual?

Rain outs.We always get'em. But they seemed like more than usual this year.

Sick outs. We usually get'em every year. Lots of marchers go down sick with a bug or food poisoning. We had that a bit. But it seemed unusual ( and of course a good development ) that we didn't seem to get as much of the summer flu bug or food poisoning effecting Corps and being blamed for subpar Corps performances and/ or for several blank holes in the lines.

Edited by BRASSO

Then we had several controversial placements, with BD/Crown

How was this controversial? BD never lost to Crown, won every caption and won by more than a point. You might not like the result but there's no controvery here.

• Like 6

A couple things I found weird:

BD's show. But weird in the "what-did-I-just-see-I-WANNA-SEE-IT-AGAIN" way. I'm glad this took top honors.

People and DCP's obsession with Madison and SCV's show. They were good, and entertaining, but gold-medal material? I was severely disappointed...by great shows! Weird...

Cavaliers, what were you thinking? A show like that? With new staff? When you have staff changes like that, you need SAFE. Something you can achieve at a high level. Put the weigh towards the veteran staff (if it's a new designer, make it a technical show).

Blue Stars, I was surprised this show didn't do better. Everything seemed in place, but...13th.

Blue Knights, what? Huh? I liked the music, until "The Jetsons" theme played, then things got a little silly.

Overall, it wasn't extremely weird or silly, just some things were a little...off from last year.

• Like 3

How was this controversial? BD never lost to Crown, won every caption and won by more than a point. You might not like the result but there's no controvery here.

I agree. There are always some fans that don't think a Corps should have won, but most people acknowledge it seems to me that BD had no section weakness compared to Crown. Crown had a percussion section issuethis season and this was their achilles heel vs. BD all season long. BD show seemed to be controversial, but to most observers surely most believe that the judges got it right regarding BD being the deserving champion over Crown on Finals Night. Crown was 6th at Finals in percussion. 'Can't win a Title when you're 6th in a caption, so that was that for them. And BD was undefeated against all challengers this season too. Their win on Finals night appeared hardly " controversial ". More like a foregone conclusion after the Quarters it seemed to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It also seemed like there was more talk of finances than normal, probably due to the 5 corps ending their season early. And just when you thought that would be the end of weirdness, someone on DCP actually had a problem with DCI having a live blogger during the live shows, and questioned Michael Boo's bias. I have read so many articles by Mr. Boo over the years, and almost laughed out loud when I read that thread. I have never found Mr. Boo to be biased, from what I understand of his live blogs, which I did not read, he just writes about what is going on during the show. And never once in the many years of reading his columns, have I ever heard him say something like, "That corps was simply dreadful, their drill designer/musical arranger should be shot", which are comments I have heard in the stands. He doesn't necessarily favor any corps, and a good portion of what I have seen him writing, is very similar to my own views on a lot of shows.

I am Michael Boo, and I approve this message. :worthy::thumbup::tongue:

• Like 3

Sick outs. We usually get'em every year. Lots of marchers go down sick with a bug or food poisoning. We had that a bit. But it seemed unusual ( and of course a good development ) that we didn't seem to get as much of the summer flu bug or food poisoning effecting Corps and being blamed for subpar Corps performances and/ or for several blank holes in the lines.

Hmmmm...you're right! All the holes we heard about during the season were due to other issues like injuries, but luckily no "Corps Crud" this year.

Can we start a trend? (Along with fewer injuries, too!)

I think a lot of the love directed at the colts soloist was based on him missing the high notes early/mid season. This and it was an old school type solo, one that built all the way through their closer.

I know when I stood up and cheered part of my joy was relief!

I can't understand anyone who thinks Crown should have beaten BD. The percussion argument is well documented but let's look at drill for a minute... I'm no expert when it comes to Drill, not many of us are but I know a straight line in a form when I see it and Crown weren't making the straight lines in their forms like BD were.

A couple of examples...

BDs brass after the 1st hit when they move diagonaly back field rolling over one line at a time... it was perfect.

During semis at the end of CCs show there we're several brass players who didn't make their spots for the crown form. The same thing happened in finals but I only spotted one this time.

This isn't an arguement over which drill was harder, it's about who executed their drill better.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 3

I agree. There are always some fans that don't think a Corps should have won, but most people acknowledge it seems to me that BD had no section weakness compared to Crown. Crown had a percussion section issuethis season and this was their achilles heel vs. BD all season long. BD show seemed to be controversial, but to most observers surely most believe that the judges got it right regarding BD being the deserving champion over Crown on Finals Night. Crown was 6th at Finals in percussion. 'Can't win a Title when you're 6th in a caption, so that was that for them. And BD was undefeated against all challengers this season too. Their win on Finals night appeared hardly " controversial ". More like a foregone conclusion after the Quarters it seemed to me.

This isn't aimed at you, Brasso. Just an observation.

Crown may not have been as "clean". They had a meaty book and didn't "lay out" half the show.

Video doesn't lie. Where's the content? Where's the demand?

Sanford winner? Meh...

• Like 3