Big Sounds Review

I'd hoped this year that the weather would remain mild and allow the Bucs to get their show in. Except for a bit of sprinkle for about 2 minutes before Carolina Gold, it held off.

The new venue is a very good place for a DCA contest, and looked close to sold out. Parking could be a bit tricky because of that. I found a place a on the hill above the High School. Artifical turf, high box, and a very attentive and appreciative audience.

Concessions, just fine. Good popcorn for a buck. You really can't beat that.

I've seen everyone at this show except for Carolina Gold, so if you want more details about their programs, please reference the Downingtown or Scranton reviews for certani bits of information. This contest, I was on the botton row, 50 yard line- as close to the trenches as a spectator can get. A change of pace, a different vantage point, but a good one.

The lead-off corps, Shenendoah Sound, was a much improved product from their Downingtown performance.The entire corps performs with a lot more confidence, particularly the battery, and the bluesier the music is, the better they sound. I know their gentleman on feature T-t-t....., he just doesn't like to say it-- Trumpet!!!! :cool: still does a fine job. The use of the audience to help generate the rain effect worked well, and the storytelling came across much better in this performance, and the ending was a lot of fun. The battery needs to watch the 6/8 section of their feature, and some of the lead ins near the end of the show were not as good as they can be- but this was a very solid effort from this corps.

The White Sabres had a good run, and obviously tried to send a message that they will be as ready to compete as they can be for Prelims. The percussion was also much improved. the corps has a lot more unity in the ensemble sound, and Moondance had a better overall groove to it as a result.

There are still some musical transition issues, and some of the phrasing in the Lachrymosa section of the Mozart Requiem need to be agreed upon by the ensemble- but I think those can be worked on and thought about and still improved upon.

It's a good thing to see this corps stepping up and taking an honest and strong crack at a finals slot. It will be difficult, but they do owe themselves a go at it and I'm glad they appear to be based on the attitude projected from the overall corps in their performance.

Carolina Gold, (16 Guard/6 Front Ensemble/10 battery/27 horns/2DM) had a strong performance of their "Out of the Shadows" program. The guard costuming in the beginning is very appealing, yet sinister. The corps' body work is also quite good in the opening sequence from Peer Gynt, and their soloist does a fine job.

I really like the deep harmonic arranging for such a small ensemble, and they really carry off that challenge very well. It gives the 27 horns a lot more depth and breadth when they perform, and it's a risk to do this, but they carry it off very well. The percussion writing is very solid, their battery feature's very engaging, and the various sections of the musical ensemble hand off musical ideas back and forth to one another smoothly with what appears to be little effort, which also makes the show sound quite good.

The Front Ensemble is very expressive, and I like the fact that their parts are quite independent of the horn book, and really add a lot to the overall musical color of the overall ensemble.

There were a couple of minor "Whoops!!!!" musical moments with some of the side to side call and responses not quite locked up, but that can be cleaned.

The only thing that concerns me about the corps is the end sequence. It seems to be conservatively written on both the visual and musical end, and just doesn't pop like the rest of the program. The Guard work and their flag choices do help to offset this, but there needs to be more of something for the final statement.

They're a very strong corps in Class A, and it will be interesting to see how they match up versus the Govies next week.

I feel the need to remind some of the readers about some of the comments I made on some other threads this week regarding Fusion Core.

There's a lot of magic in their wand- I don't care if it's smaller. :satisfied: I think of this season for them as a big breakout for them. They were always a very good small corps before this-- but everything about them certainly appears to be several levels above their past efforts, and they're a force to be respected. This corps is DCA's Pocket Battleship- you can look up what that means if you don't know. Their show is very enjoyable, the crowd's been behind them at both shows I've seen them at, and they sound great!

This show, the dynamic layers and some of the intervallic challenges of the horn book were handled very well, and they sent a strong message to everyone that attended that they'll compete hard and with a lot of excitement and quality next weekend. Only a fool would underestimate this corps.

A serious shout-out to Eldon. It's great to see him out there playing with Fusion. :thumbup:

The Cabs also stepped things up to another level from Scranton. I didn't hear the 4-5 little 'oops!' moments this week- just something a bit off with the one rhythm at the end- the hits on 1 and the upbeats of three and four thing-- but that's very picky.

The Cabs are beginning to seriously attack their show and command it, not just perform it well. That sense of focus and deep confidence about what to do and how to do it clearly came out of the corps along with all of the emotions that are integral to their program, and it's a great feeling to listen and watch a corps that has that.

Their snares had a really strong performance in their feature- they just took it right into the crowd, and it was impressive.

And yeah, it was me yelling to drive the end home. The set up was perfect, and I just wanted them to hit that ending as hard as they could and make it all happen. They did. hey need to keep doing it for their next two performances- it's got to be a gas from their perspective on the field as performers, and it's a 55 gallon pressurized drum full of 100 octane whoop-xxx up in the stands.

As for the Bucs- they also turned things up a notch as well in terms of focus, intensity, and detail. The synergy of the program and attention to details in regards to the whole package make the show very special to listen to and watch. There was also that sense of confidence and command of the program that a top end corps needs to have at this point of the season. The show has the feel of a zillion dollar well-tailored business suit, where everything about it just fits and goes together perfectly, including the silk tie and cuff links.

How MBI relates to the Bucs wil be unknown until prelims. The Bucs are obviously not taking any of their top competitors for granted. They certainly didn't mail this performance in like they could easily have done- a home crowd with a ton of friends and family that's very receptive and positive to every corps, it could have been a bit off and the crowd would still have went crazy and ate them up- but that's not how the Bucs are. It's not how they think. They put forth a max effort on the field last night. Really, the Cabs and the Bucs were both an absolute gas to watch and listen to, regardless of number and placements.

I'll get up the Fistbumps later today. Many to give out. It's a bit late and past my bedtime.

The conclusions:

1: Reading is ready to make an honest, top-end effort to try and regain the title. It will remain to be seen if it's enough.

2: Clearly the best Cabs corps in some time. Be ready to enjoy seeing them next weekend if you go or watch online. It's a show from their hearts, very exciting, and very moving.

3: Fusion Core is ready to compete, and I mean compete very hard. Not just act like they're happy to be in Open Class and smile and wave a whole lot like the Pope in his Popemobile. Open Class depth is incredible. MANY very, very good corps this year.

4: White Sabers look to be in the hunt for A Class finals. There's nothing like that feeling when you're in a corps in their situation. I hope they give it their best shot and leave no stone unturned atfer their prelims performance. It's that feeling that you're ALIVE... and as Steve McQueen said in the movie LeMans, ..."everything else is just waiting."

Again, I'll get up those fistbumps later. It was good to see many friends and corpsmates both old and new, and I hope to see many of you next Saturday!

Edited by BigW

Thanks for the great review Big W. This is first season in a LONG time that there are SO MANY good corps in 'the senior circuit'. I'm SO CLOSE to pulling the trigger on spending some hard earned cash to watch prelims on The Fan Network!

I know what you mean about Fusion Corps. Your comment reminds me of the lean years Bush had after 95. Small in numbers, but strong in every section. Good for them!

Good luck to all of the competitors next weekend. I know who I'm pulling for to 'bring home the title', but do want to give a BIG hand to the Cabs. They've had some tough years, but they've REALLY put together a great product this time around.

Wow...what a great evening. I usually dont post anything but...

I was blown away by the Cabs last night. The show, as an entire package, is wonderful ! The bari soloist was a show in himself (the richness of his playing combined his dancing), the mello line is breathtaking at times and the soprano line was so bright and controlled last night. I also loved the flower umbrellas the colorguard used at the beginning of the show and you can tell that everyone in the guard loves what they are doing.

ok and I have to mention that the cymbal line rocked too..and I especially loved that you have the shiniest plates out there ! BEST wishes to the Cabs in Anapolis

Also wishing everyone a safe travels Labor Day weekend !

Wow...what a great evening. I usually dont post anything but...

I was blown away by the Cabs last night. The show, as an entire package, is wonderful ! The bari soloist was a show in himself (the richness of his playing combined his dancing), the mello line is breathtaking at times and the soprano line was so bright and controlled last night. I also loved the flower umbrellas the colorguard used at the beginning of the show and you can tell that everyone in the guard loves what they are doing.

ok and I have to mention that the cymbal line rocked too..and I especially loved that you have the shiniest plates out there ! BEST wishes to the Cabs in Anapolis

Also wishing everyone a safe travels Labor Day weekend !

Was good to see you there! The Cabs have had a ton of momentum when they have needed to have it. Second seed in prelims is a great opportunity for them.

And now, time for the:

fistbump.png

awards for this show.

I try not to repeat the award. I think the only exception has been C2's Bass Drum Line. Some other section that's hiding in that corps will have to step up and make me notice how good they are.

Remember, this is like the All-Madden team. People who might not be readiy noticed by the casual fan, people who make their corps a LOT better by doing role in the corps at an exceptional level without getting as much attention as other parts of the corps might. People I would love to march with or teach.

Shenendoah Sound: Their Vibes player. They're definitely a fine musician.

White Sabres: Their Front Ensemble has stepped it up and was pretty tasty. Very much worth your attention if you see them this coming weekend.

Carolina Gold: Their Tenors and their Mellos. a ROCK HARD performance by their Mellophone section. Spot on, never a pitch out of place. Af any if what they played *was* out of place, people would have noticed... and not in a very good way. WELL DONE.

Fusion Core: The same applies to their Mellophones, and they also kicked some aXX out there, as we old schoolers like to say. A Brass section that's weak up the middle will go nowhere. Fusion's horns would'nt be what they are without their spot on Tone Quality and Intonation in certain sections of their program.

Cabs: The Contras had a VERY good run, they play some wicked tough stuff in the upper part of the horn very well and the way it is meant to be played, and the snare feature was top-notch and exciting.

Bucs: The second Mello section. When I listened to some of the splits you're playing- I realized just how on you have to be to make the whole mellophone section work. Otherwise we're talking serious train wreck/the staff waves off the show at that point in reherasal, and yells a lot.

I also want to apologize to the Bucs Alumni. Writing a review at 5 in the morning can make one forgetful. I reviewed them at their indoor show, their repertiore is the same, and was well performed on the field for their home crowd. The solo and duet work was great, the performance was high on the fun and enjoyment factor, and I also want to wish Randy a very Happy Birthday. Salty old hands like him on the quarterdeck of the Bucs' ship is what make it the tight and powerful fighting vessel of the seven seas that it is.

And my fistbump for the Alumni:

Tony. His conducting when he conducts is utterly sublime, and just..... so.... right. Every gesture is just...so.... right. :worthy:

See you all at Prelims. I look forward to getting a good look at everyone I haven't seen at this point and then trying to figure out where it will shake out. the situation is fluid, and should produce some great moments for most of the corps.

Edited by BigW