Flugel vs Mello

ussglassman

F is a key, not an octave.

F can be a key name. F can be a pitch name. But F is simply an alphabetical character utilized in conventional music notation.

The point is that "Horn in F" has an accepted meaning, that being the type of instrument commonly used for the last century and a half.

And that, folks, is MY definition. Your results may vary.

Marching french horns sound absolutely nothing at all like mellophones. The advantage mellos have over flugels (aside from tembre) is the key. Since they are in F, they are a true alto voice. I love it when I'm able to combine the two. I will even replace third trumpets with mellos, and give them a mix of Trumpet 3 and mello parts. That way you get the best of both worlds, while darkening up your trumpet ensemble sound.

As for marching French horns, I wouldn't use them, but not because they don't sound good. They are incredibly hard to play, especially in F. If you have Bb french horns, they can be easily doubled by baritones.

Maybe that's because nobody makes them in F.

MarchingBrass_284.png

:cry:

MarchingBrass_285.png

:rock:

MarchingBrass_281.png

:thumbs-up::thumbup:

In the post above we see three images linked from the Kanstul website:

1. A marching French Horn in F alto, i.e. a bellfront wrap of a descant horn

2. A marching French Horn in Bb

3. A mellophone in F

None of the above are pitched in F the same as the traditional concert horn.

3. A mellophone in F

Cadets marched flugels for 3rd sops for a very long time .. most of the 80's and early 90's at least.... along with a full mello line. But there is something special about mixing in some frenchies with a full mello line as well. See PR of the 80's, Madison 88 is a perfect example and SCV of the same era. Honestly, I've never heard a brass line with no mello's and flugels in their place. It just seems like the middle would sound very bright.... or vacant.

3. A mellophone in F

There is no sarcasm intended at all in this question:

Please educate me on the difference between a Mellophone in F, a Marching [French] Horn pitch in F and the concert Horn? Is it the octave? Naturally, the timbre, that much I know. In terms of why does one F not equal the other F?

Is it the octave? Naturally, the timbre, that much I know. In terms of why does one F not equal the other F?

You just answered your own question. It IS the octave. The timbre differs because the pitch of the fundamental is different. In the same way that a baritone differs from a tuba. In the same way that a picc differs from a trumpet.

Ohh... we're talking about marching band instruments... not bugles. If we were discussing G hornlines, the arranging for mellos vs flugels would be identical, seeing as though mellos, flugels, and sopranos in G all have the same length of tubing and bottom out at the same concert Db.

If you want a really wide array of high and mid voices, put your leads on sopranos, the seconds on flugels, the thirds on "Alto bugles" (hybrid flugel/mello) and then keep all of the mellos. That would make for a... unique blend.

I have not seen a marching French horn in F for quite some time. It seems there is much too much confusion over the difference between a mellophone and a marching French horn. A Bb marching French horn has the same amount of tubing as a tenor trombone, as well as marching baritones and euphoniums. The difference is the pea shooter bore size and tiny mouthpiece which force the normal playing range of the horn up an octave from where one would normally play an instrument of that length.

At the end of the day, if you played a typical piece of band or corps music on either a F mellophone or a F French horn, the notes would be played in the exact same octave, and one musician would be using trumpet fingerings, the other would be using fingerings an octave above.