For Dinosaurs Only

Disagree pretty strongly. Effect is ALL about the audience.

My favorite definition of effect (courtesy WGI) :

WHAT IS GENERAL EFFECT?

• General Effect is the creative and appealing design of the show combined with the performance and communication of the program.
  • These two elements together produce what we call "Entertainment Value" or General Effect.
  • General Effect is a part of the judging system that rewards the extent the audience is interested,involved, entertained, or emotionally engaged in the program.

And yet, this is not WGI, and that is not how general effect is defined on the DCI sheets. Again, I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but simply pointing out what the sheets say.

And yet, this is not WGI, and that is not how general effect is defined on the DCI sheets. Again, I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but simply pointing out what the sheets say.

Conceptually it's the same thing. IMO that definition does not conflict with the DCI sheets at all (even considering the fact that the word 'entertained' is included). The sheets are not a concise listing of terms and their definitions. WGI saw fit to include that sort of information with their sheets. DCI released their sheets -- they're taking baby steps forward. Anyway I think WGI just happened to nail it really clearly in plain english.

Edited by corpsband

dont let him kid ya its judged the same way in WGI...the big crowd Hoopla doesnt always win or even make finals

Edited by GUARDLING

and conversely many are happy with multiples.

It's a big world, and surprisingly one or two (or several) people's opinions do not equal the end all/be all consensus of what's best for the activity

no they don't. But when we have to crow about 18k at finals, we have issues

Not minimal crowd reaction. Different crowd reaction. Again, baby throwing isn't the only kind of reaction possible.

true. but looking at each other going "wtf was that?" isn't exactly a good reaction

• Like 1

What's the difference between stunned silence and disgusted silence?

the amount of snide comments

I'm not really trying to interject my personal opinion regarding whether the crowd is important here (not an easy feat for any one of us I would imagine). I'm simply trying to articulate what is on the sheets, which, for the most part, consider the audience a small part of the equation in terms of scoring. That being said, a show that actually has good general effect according to the sheets, should, it stands to reason, have some effect on the crowd. What that effect is, depends on the show itself, and what the compositional intent is.

As for the importance of the crowd, I think (this is where my opinion comes in), at an isolated show, the crowd at that moment, on that night is relatively unimportant. As you stated, there are nights where the crowd is just dead, there are crowds with massive bias, and so on. You have a point in that a show that doesn't affect the crowd doesn't sell tickets, but my contention is that the diversity of shows currently present at a typical DCI show satisfies those needs. Again, what is entertaining to one, may not be to another.

Some feel strongly that a show that doesn't reach the crowd on a visceral level is a failure, and to them, it may be. The bottom line is, on the sheets it may not be.

Some corps put more value on the majority of the crowd's interests. That is their priority, and their prerogative. Some corps prefer to be more artistic, and consequently appeal to a smaller minority of the crowd. Who's to say that either part of the audience (or any of the parts in between) is less important. If every show was completely transparent, we'd lose a portion of our audience. If every show was intellectual and deeply layered, we'd lose a portion of our audience (albeit likely a larger one). If every show was comical and silly, we'd lose a portion of the audience.

You raised a good point in mentioning that drum corps is a little different regarding the fact that it has many acts. Instead of focusing on the few shows that didn't fit one idea of entertaining, I'd challenge you to look at the big picture. Were there shows that did entertain you? If not, I'd question whether or not you really like drum corps in the first place. I don't go to the theater expecting to be bolted to my seat every second of the show. There will be moments where there is less going on, or where the plot may be slow to develop. At the Opera, there may be arias that I don't care for, or there may be a character who's voice is not my favorite. I may find the conductor's interpretation of a particular moment to be flat or unmoving. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the overall experience.

the crowd on any night is important....because you want them to come back next time

• Like 1

Seriously, actucker, let's consider two extremes for the point. Say a crowd sits on its hands for an entire show and shows no emotion to what's on the field, if it's a show designed to produce no reaction, the design gets high effect.

If the crowd is on its feet, screaming, for the entire show when the designers meant for the whole show to be depressing (pick an adverb), it gets no points.

Excellent point. Say the show causes fans to leave. That is a definite reaction. Therefore, the show is very effective?

Or is the judge completely insensitive to what's happening in the stands, as if the conversation includes only the corps and judge?

How does the judge get to the point of knowing what the designers intended? Is it his judgement during the first viewing? Is it the explanation by staff before the show? Is it the recap argument afterwards?

Say the staff claims the show was intended to cause fans to leave, and they did. Therefore, the show was very effective?

• Like 2