For Dinosaurs Only

I really appreciate how you cherish your time with your Dad, and I'm glad he supported you in marching. But it sounds as though you would have had those wonderful feelings had you taken up fly fishing, or some other activity he might not enjoy.

Had you done fly fishing instead, and today that activity was using speedboats, drag lines, and bikinis you'd still enjoy the time with your Dad (and I'd still be jealous).

But what about those of use who are there specifically because of what's on the field?

If my son still loves drum corps in 5 years and I can't stand it, I'll probably go just to spend time with him, but I might not go because I enjoy what's on the field.

Big difference, IMO.

OK then - Not sure what your point is here but I've seen your son's video and he's quite the talented drummer.

• Like 1

I think this could be a very viable course of action. It would certainly open up weekend only shows to new corps on a budget that are just looking to get started.

Yes. DCI and DCA could pool their resources and eliminate duplicative costs, ie, marketing of their brand, merchandising, promotions, etc. If done right it could work well for both the organization, the activity, and most importantly, the fans. Businesses that are successful are always looking to merge with other similar businesses in hopes of a strengthing themselves with organizations that have similar, while sometimes unique differences, while at the same time each avoiding slippage in a risky quest of going it alone. Merging eliminates the competition for performers, fans, etc too. All the biggest, most successful busineses have at one time or another merged divisions, companies, etc..

Edited by BRASSO

You know what I think would go a long way to reconnecting some of those who marched more than 20 years ago? Do more retreats - not every show, but several per season. Corps should fly the colors, and then they could demonstrate proper respect for the audience by all being present and honorable while they receive recognition. The good news is that both of those things wouldn't cost a single second of artistic freedom on the show field, and they would go a long way in bringing back some of the traditions that have some shared social value. We all know that every corps has its own internal traditions, but sharing something traditional with the audience can't hurt at all.

Now, I know the arguments against retreat. This is not a debate about that for me. Weigh the pros and cons again, find some middle ground and give it a try.

• Like 1

OK then - Not sure what your point is here but I've seen your son's video and he's quite the talented drummer.

My point is that it doesn't matter how much drum corps changes, you will always treasure the time you had with your Dad. I really honor that.

But, to many of us, what's on the field defines how much we enjoy the activity. If I despise how the activity has "evolved", but want to spend time with my son, I'll look past the field, even though I don't enjoy it, and focus on the time with him.

Those are two, different impressions, IMO.

EDIT: And thanks for the compliment on behalf of Garfields_Kid and me.

Edited by garfield

Let me apologize for using the term "real experience". I started this topic mainly as a response to be referred as a "Dinosaur" by another poster. We are all entitled to an opinion. It is the name calling that got my goat. The use of the term real experience was not intended to demean anyone that may have not marched or is new to the activity. I will edit the topic accordingly. But any discussion about the direction Drum Corps has gone recently should not begin with insulting those of us that have been around for awhile..... nor in my case those that are new to the game.

• Like 3

I decided to ask a question of those of us who were around when the stands were full. What could we do to bring back corps fans and alumni who have driven away by the current direction of drum corps which I believe is more about technological achievement as opposed to entertainment or talent.

<div><br></div><div><font size="3">My apology for use of the term "real experience"<br></font></div>

I'm not going to go all the way through this. I'll just leave the opinion that all drum corps experience and experiences are real. My daughter's last 3 years with 7th Regiment were as real an experience as my sons' experiences with Crossmen and BD, Boston and BD, my daughter's and son's experiences with Boston, and for that matter my own experiences with corps from the 60s through the 2010s if you count the Sunriser Reunion Ensemble (I do).

Britney Spears has sold out a 15,000 seat arena in the same town (Boston) that Arturo Sandoval sold half of a 700 seat auditorium (Berklee Performance Center). Who do you think had a better musical experience? Which one would you rather see?

Incredible experience from the dinosaur years through the present. If anyone had told you in 1965 that DCA would be around for 50 years what would you have said? What an experience it has been and continues to be for the present generation!

Real experience? I'd say that applies to all of us.

• Like 2

You know what I think would go a long way to reconnecting some of those who marched more than 20 years ago? Do more retreats - not every show, but several per season. Corps should fly the colors, and then they could demonstrate proper respect for the audience by all being present and honorable while they receive recognition. The good news is that both of those things wouldn't cost a single second of artistic freedom on the show field, and they would go a long way in bringing back some of the traditions that have some shared social value. We all know that every corps has its own internal traditions, but sharing something traditional with the audience can't hurt at all.

Now, I know the arguments against retreat. This is not a debate about that for me. Weigh the pros and cons again, find some middle ground and give it a try.

I fully agree with this. Over the course of the past couple years, I've heard plenty of alumni complain about the lack of retreats and the overall way that shows end/conclude now days. Retreat/grand finale was a true spectacle that many in the stands looked forward to. Similar to the opening or closing ceremonies at the Olympics, retreat was the ultimate show of pageantry and sportsmanship. Yes, there were some people that made a hasty exit to get out of the parking lot before the other spectators. However, for the most part a majority of the crowd stayed put for the scores and so forth.

One option would be to make this an "add on" that the show promoter can choose to have at their show. This would allow them to research the sound/noise ordinances to see if it would be permissible.

• Like 1

Just in case we ever make it back on topic -

What could we do to bring back corps fans and alumni who have driven away by the current direction of drum corps which I believe is more about technological achievement as opposed to entertainment or talent.

There are two things which, in my opinion, would make a difference. One, get rid of the electronics. The other, level the playing field so that contests become bonafide contests once again.

• Like 1

...There are two things which, in my opinion, would make a difference. One, get rid of the electronics. The other, level the playing field so that contests become bonafide contests once again.

When was that playing field level?

A smaller percentage of corps made finals in DCI's first 20 years than in the past 20. What was level about that? Now I freely admit that the percentage lately benefits from having fewer corps. So what? It's not as if BD and SCV were ducking in and out of finals in the 70s and 80s because of the big surge from Chucklehead Corps No. 1 or Dingbat Corps No. 2. No, corps like Bridgemen, Guardsmen, VK, Star and a handful of others made cameos on Saturday. But mostly the same corps proved their ability to achieve and survive.

The biggest impact on the standings hasn't been tics or mics. It was coin. The corps that dominate the standings over time are the ones with financial vision alongside artistic.

As for trying to repeal electronics, might as well tell men to return to wearing fedoras. Mandating acoustic drum corps is like trying to legislate fashion. What looked (sounded) good once isn't relevant.

HH

• Like 2