DCA Observations from a DCI Fan.

I sat next to two HS kids at prelims. They're out there.

I know TOB put stuff on their website to market DCA weekend.Not sure if any other circuits in the region did

Oh man... those guys could really bring the heat!!! Great corps and great people.

Kidsgrove is what we need more of. Sorry to say, but some of the upper echelon corps do not have the right stuff..

• Like 2

I agree. I believe they also did this a few years ago as well. Both times helped to set the mood and Im all for that.

:satisfied:

You're right... 2010, when MBI used Middle Eastern music to set the tone for their "Caravan" show.

And like Tom said... Statesmen have been doing all sorts of "moving warmup" stuff... including a live announcer for their Rat Pack show in 2001.

(Heck, the Statesmen used an electric guitar for their entire show all the way back in 1985... and took a two-point penalty each DCA show as a result. As did DCA's Les Cascadeurs for amping their pit in 1984.)

And the Bushwackers in 2003 did a brilliant job of using various audio quotes about the U.S. space program over top of the corps' brass warmup.

I might add that DCA corps have been doing this sort of stuff long before DCI corps caught on. Just sayin.' :rolleyes:

I watched the DCA semi-finals for the first time on the internet. I have been a DCI fan since 1968, but have only attended a couple of DCA shows when I was a kid (early 70's). I enjoyed watching the corps. It was a great day. I also would like to give my opinions on what I saw.

The biggest thing I noticed is how much DCI and DCA are more alike than they are different.

Music:

For the most part (BD and Governaires are exceptions) they all play the same type music. DCA seems to emphasize volume and "screamers" over quality of sound and blend, but this doesn't change the choice of music. I was really kind of shocked at how much the music was the same after all of the talk on the forums as to how the DCA corps play different music.

I will not follow this thread and will not respond to other posts. I normally do not post any more. I just wanted to state my opinions.

All "play the same music!?" Were you at the contest and do you understand different musical genres? O.o

Let's see:

I heard Jazz of at least 3 different types and periods, wind band literature from several well known composers, orchestral music from the Baroque and Romantic from Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Ravel, Bizet, pop tunes from several decades-- Santana... Coldplay, Original compositions, film music....

I know why you won't be reading responses, it may be your opinion, but to be blunt, to say every DCA corps plays the same stuff is rather an uniformed, ignorant, and thoughtless opinion that's been given. I'd hope you can do better than that kind of broad brush comment.

I dislike being this mean, but that comment just took the @*()$ proverbial biscuit.

• Like 1

I know TOB put stuff on their website to market DCA weekend.Not sure if any other circuits in the region did

WNEW, the DC Metro news station was also plugging the event as well. I nearly swerved the wagon when I heard them discussing it as something to go to for the weekend.

As for DCI corps bringing heat, Crown was RFL this year from my observations. One of the reasons everyone is gaga over them. It can be done if talent and book demands it.

The issue is to play at that type of volume, you can't be running. You have to write the moment where the performers are able to brace themselves and let fly.

All "play the same music!?" Were you at the contest and do you understand different musical genres? O.o

Let's see:

I heard Jazz of at least 3 different types and periods, wind band literature from several well known composers, orchestral music from the Baroque and Romantic from Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Ravel, Bizet, pop tunes from several decades-- Santana... Coldplay, Original compositions, film music....

I know why you won't be reading responses, it may be your opinion, but to be blunt, to say every DCA corps plays the same stuff is rather an uniformed, ignorant, and thoughtless opinion that's been given. I'd hope you can do better than that kind of broad brush comment.

I dislike being this mean, but that comment just took the @*()$ proverbial biscuit.

I think what he meant was that DCI and DCA corps use the same music/themes, like Empire and Spirit this year, Cabs and BD both having done Spanish Heart. Hell, for a while there Syracuse was basically BD east........

Thanks Scott, this was kind of what I was looking for when I started my thread which fell off the face of the earth. You saw the differences without making a good/bad judgement between the apple and the orange. :tongue:

One of the coolest parts of the entire weekend, I thought, grew out of... ironically... the rain delays on Saturday.

Not the delays themselves, but how the audience handled it.

The fans gathered on the concourse, and it felt like one giant drum corps reunion going on.

I know I had a chance to catch up with several people... some family members, and Sunrisers alums, and folks like Steve Vickers from Drum Corps World and Doug Madar from the Carolina Crown organization... and Donald Whitworth, Westshoremen alum... who I had not seen in a while.

It was a great time!!! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade. :thumbup:

• Like 1

One of the coolest parts of the entire weekend, I thought, grew out of... ironically... the rain delays on Saturday.

Not the delays themselves, but how the audience handled it.

The fans gathered on the concourse, and it felt like one giant drum corps reunion going on.

I know I had a chance to catch up with several people... some family members, and Sunrisers alums, and folks like Steve Vickers from Drum Corps World and Doug Madar from the Carolina Crown organization... and Donald Whitworth, Westshoremen alum... who I had not seen in a while.

It was a great time!!! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade. :thumbup:

Agreed. I tried to find you and couldn't. :satisfied: I did find a lot of fellow Westshore Alumni ouit and about, it did my heart well. :satisfied: