Just a Thought....

What are the chances of getting rid of electronics? Is it really necessary?

What are the chances of getting rid of "Themes" and get back to playing recognizable music?

If DCI wants to make the consumer happy...is this the way?

Comments? (I am sure there will be plenty).

Edited by KeithHall
  • Like 5

What are the chances of getting rid of "Themes" and get back to playing recognizable music?

If DCI wants to make the consumer happy...this is the way.

I don't know what the chances are of getting rid of these things, but if my understanding is correct, DCI isn't some separate entity that dictates to the Corps. DCI IS the Corps. Do the Corps want to get rid of these things?

I also wonder what justification you have for your contention that "this is the way".

Anyway, my personal view: The electronics are okay. I like themes.

• Like 2

Why get rid of electronics? They were a long-overdue addition. Just as with an voice, they can be used well and not-so-well, depending on the individual audience member's POV.

As for recognizable music...there is lots of it on the field. Themes are just a structure to provide continuity and direction to a show, and they have been around since before DCI was formed.

• Like 2

If DCI wants to make the SOME consumerS happy...this is the way.

Fixed! Like with all things DCI...you can please some of the fans all of the time, and all of the fans some of the time.... but you can never please the frickin' Dinos! :tongue:

NOTE: Kiss a Dino today.....without them there would be no yesterday (or a DCI for that matter).

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

We live in a world of themes, electronics and diverse musical influences. Drum corps does not exist outside our culture in a vacuum.

This makes DCI sound like a victim of the times and it had no choice. There was a choice. They chose this path.

Would fans leave if electronics were no longer legal?

• Like 1

Please speak for yourself. It wouldn't make me happy. I love electronics and themes when done well. I recognize a majority of the music played today and I appreciate that drum corps continues to open me to up to new music.

• Like 1

Chances for getting rid of electronics: 0%

Done right, they enhance immensely. Done poorly, they detract. The only thing one can say for certain is that the best musical seats in the house no longer exist in the 10 rows between the 45 yard lines.

Chances of getting rid of themes: 0%

It is no longer acceptable in terms of guard costuming, drill design, musical continuity or "purpose" of a show to just be a random sampler of unrelated music. Even 40 years ago, "themes" were present in programming. What would a non-themed show look/sound like? We only have 11 1/2 minute shows. What would you choose to do with your 11 1/2 minutes?

Chances for playing "recognizable music": 100%... if you actively listen to a wide variety of music in your day-to-day life. Significantly less if you don't. I recognized every piece of music played this summer. Others did not. Who decides what is "recognizable"?

We live in a world of themes, electronics and diverse musical influences. Drum corps does not exist outside our culture in a vacuum.

Chuck Naffier

And for this reason, the degree to which they enhance or detract should be reflected directly on the sheets. It's time to start holding corps accountable for the disasters created by electronics, and rewarding for when they work well.

• Like 7

And for this reason, the degree to which they enhance or detract should be reflected directly on the sheets. It's time to start holding corps accountable for the disasters created by electronics, and rewarding for when they work well.

What makes you think they are not? Ensemble and Effect take into account all of the music presented, which would include electronic instruments.