Just a Thought....

Cool. Just wanted to be clear.

As for your mandated instrumentation change, I'm interested in why you think it was a mandate?

It was not a written mandate. The corporate sponsors made it the only standard fiscal choice up front. By flooding the market with cheap horns to corps who always need financial assistance, the horns would become the new Drum Corps. We all know that the "envy" game is big in the corps ranks so seeing corps get new horns year after year beat down the idea of bugles staying in the activity.

NOW... on the flip side. I have listened to many judges tapes "urging" corps to switch "Your corps cannot be competitive with the Bugles" - which I heard on multiple tapes from multiple judges to multiple corps. They really made it sound like they do not have a choice. (These corps ranked from 9th to 20th.) I spoke to three separate corps directors about the decision to go multi-key because I did not like it at the time - all three quoted me "We cannot stay competitive with the bugles". I felt like I was hearing talking points from a political campaign.

NOW - Who is left with G-Bugles?

I do not play the conspiracy games but these actions were made and corps were directly told that they cannot be competitive with these horns. Knowing what I heard from all these sources, I "personally" feel that corps were forced to make these decisions by the judging community by talking points that seem pretty clear.

Is this same thing happening today, with electronics? with show decisions? I am pretty sure that it is. "To Be Competitive" is a very powerful statement when you are trying to fight your way into a top 12. Especially knowing that being in the top twelve helps your corps financially, through sponsors and even event planning.

I did not walk away from drum corps without having reason but I did see a enough of these "Boys Club" actions to know that I did not like the way it was happening.

Since 2000, I took 10 years off and in - 2011 I have seen all the shows since 2000 on video and in 2011 I did start going to live shows again. I can "personally" say that I am not a fan of the products I see. The heart of the kids and the performers is still there but I am not personally entertained by the shows.

I do not want this to become a "my" issues thing. We all have our own issues and gripes. Like I said... the BUGLE was more symbolic to me because I could predict the future once that change was made. My predictions were correct.

Edited by Kevin Powell

If I recall, only two corps used Bb/F horns in 2000, and top brass was shared by a Bb/F corps (Cadets) and a g corps (Cavies).

You recall correctly. BD and Cadets brought the new horns to the game.