Just a Thought....

I personally am one person who wished I marched now. I like a lot of the changes and am warming up to others. The arranging now is really creative and the use of other voices is ok too. I love having discussions with my son about the music they are playing now in band and am very glad it's tied closely to a big time drum corps.

I would have happily marched up to 2004. When the electronics came in, frankly I found it embarassing. I didn't want to show friends what I was involved in any more.

• Like 1

I would have happily marched up to 2004. When the electronics came in, frankly I found it embarassing. I didn't want to show friends what I was involved in any more.

people who arent part of the activity wouldnt know the difference and I would think with all the bells and whistles most non drum corps people would either like it better than what we did BITD or still just look at what we do as extremely GEEKY..lol

Balance issues are in the ears of the beholder. People who dislike them in any form will think that any audible electronic sound is a balance issue. I've heard some balance issues, of course...esp early season, but you hear them with ALL voices, not just electronic ones.

Look at scores in June and scores in August; the corps get better in all areas.

Sure, but when something is consistently a big enough problem for multiple corps to have coined its own phrase, i.e. "thunderous goo", I think it's fair to say it's not just me. Are you saying you love the overwhelming bass that just about every corps produces these days effectively rendering the lower brass obsolete multiple times during shows?

• Like 3

So you keep your DVD's under the mattress now? :laugh:

This makes DCI sound like a victim of the times and it had no choice. There was a choice. They chose this path...

Your phrasing got me thinking ...

Yes. It was a choice. No denying that. The choice, however, had a context. Drum corps chose electronics the same way a generation chose the music of Snoop Dog and Fifty-cent when it could have choosen the path laid by Earth Wind and Fire or even Michael Jackson.

HH

• Like 2

Who decides what is "recognizable"?

Chuck Naffier

The customers.

Same as it ever was.

• Like 3

Look at scores in June and scores in August; the corps get better in all areas.

With or without these things, Corps have always improved from June to August.

Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Chances for getting rid of electronics: 0%

Done right, they enhance immensely. Done poorly, they detract. The only thing one can say for certain is that the best musical seats in the house no longer exist in the 10 rows between the 45 yard lines.

Chances of getting rid of themes: 0%

It is no longer acceptable in terms of guard costuming, drill design, musical continuity or "purpose" of a show to just be a random sampler of unrelated music. Even 40 years ago, "themes" were present in programming. What would a non-themed show look/sound like? We only have 11 1/2 minute shows. What would you choose to do with your 11 1/2 minutes?

Chances for playing "recognizable music": 100%... if you actively listen to a wide variety of music in your day-to-day life. Significantly less if you don't. I recognized every piece of music played this summer. Others did not. Who decides what is "recognizable"?

We live in a world of themes, electronics and diverse musical influences. Drum corps does not exist outside our culture in a vacuum.

Chuck Naffier

I agree with alot of what youre saying Although I wouldnt look for many to agree here..lol..I think themes can be LESS involved...example...jazz of the 40s....leaves it wide open......history of Rock...than can be most anything you want...themes dont have to be dark or deep...or they can be...as far as what mucic is recog nized , well i did recognized alot also and have been around a long time in the activity and all I can say is alot of music BITd was not so recognisable either BUT corps played them over and over and over and over again...which year to year then people did recognize it..also there were corps that did pop or movie themes....Same probaly could happen now BUT corps dont do the same same same year to year. JMO

• Like 1

I hate to admit that I agree. Personally (again, my opinion so I'm entitled to it) I have yet to see/hear one single show where electronics have added something good. I feel lucky when it "barely detracts" from a show, but that's getting less and less each year (again, for me). Some shows I have felt downright embarrassed about and certainly wouldn't want to have brought a friend to show them what I was always talking about for the past 25 years.

• Like 2