Just a Thought....

And I never would have marched prior to 1984. See, it can go both ways.

And that's absolutely fine.

However, unless you have a Tardis in your backyard, you don't have to make the choice to march in a pre 1984 corps.

Kids today do have the opportunity to make the choice to march (or not) in 2013.

So which potential turn off is a bigger concern?

I agree with alot of what youre saying Although I wouldnt look for many to agree here..lol..I think themes can be LESS involved...example...jazz of the 40s....leaves it wide open......history of Rock...than can be most anything you want...themes dont have to be dark or deep...or they can be...as far as what mucic is recog nized , well i did recognized alot also and have been around a long time in the activity and all I can say is alot of music BITd was not so recognisable either BUT corps played them over and over and over and over again...which year to year then people did recognize it..also there were corps that did pop or movie themes....Same probaly could happen now BUT corps dont do the same same same year to year. JMO

I think this approach to themes would result in a lot less chop and bop, which is the worst outcome of the theme direction of late (if you discount some of the guard unis....)

And that's absolutely fine.

However, unless you have a Tardis in your backyard, you don't have to make the choice to march in a pre 1984 corps.

Kids today do have the opportunity to make the choice to march (or not) in 2013.

So which potential turn off is a bigger concern?

I see your point (though I had to google Tardis...I'm not a Doctor Who fan :rolleyes: )

However, kids now are growing up in an ever increasingly electronic environment. Much of the music they listen to is electronic in some manner.

What are the chances of getting rid of electronics? Is it really necessary?

What are the chances of getting rid of "Themes" and get back to playing recognizable music?

Electronics are here to stay. Rock guitars were first incorporated by Teal Sound into competition, and my guess this will be revisted again shortly by a creative show director. Crown could have gone all the way last year in their rocked themed show... it would have been the perfect time for it with their " Rach Star " theme .., but they played it safe, and opted instead for a wooden fake guitar utilization by a guard member, when in reality a rock guitar playing in the show was there for the taking and would have really gotten folks attention re. " change " in these shows, and would have enlivened the debate further on " change " as inevitable or whatever.

Themes are here to stay as well. Confused themes, or clear themes, it doesn't matter, its here to stay, and I can't imagine going back to an era where unrelated songs are played in a themeless show. I personally would not be in favor of themeless shows and music played in isolation to one another. As for the playing of " recognizable " music, this is of course a problem for many customers, and a frequent complaint we often hear. Staff arrangers obviously have a larger musical libary in their head than the non music person that might be ( say ) an Engineer, Attorney, Salesmen, or chef, plumber, hairdresser, .. you know... the average " Folk ". So for a lot of them. the music is unappealing in too many cases. Perhaps, if they heard it played over and over again, it might register, but many of them only get one listen with these Corps at a local show, so its either reach them ,or you don't reach them. Its not as complicated it seems to me as some might make it out to be. DCI has moved from a predominently Musical genre where the Guard and Visual complemented the Music to a medium in which the Visual predominates... even on the scoring sheets. A single Guard performer carries more scoring allotment possibility than( say ) a single Baritone Brass player. Thats because we have 80 brass, only 35 or so Guard now. And we have as many Guard soloists out front and center now than ( say ) a trumpet soloist, especially in the all important closers with these Corps now. So we have " change " and we will continue to have " change ". The key is to grow an audience base no matter what we play and march too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I think this approach to themes would result in a lot less chop and bop, which is the worst outcome of the theme direction of late (if you discount some of the guard unis....)

i agree some guard unis are quite horrible mainly because many guard instructors also think they are broadway dancers as well as fashionestas..Chop and bop as many call it hasnt bothered me at all..I think bitd we called it a medley..lol..I kind of find it interesting how people fit things in musically and transition it from one thing to another...but again just an opinion

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

i agree some guard unis are quite horrible manily because many guard instructors also think they are broadway dancers as well as fashionestas..Chop and bop as many call it hasnt bothered me at all..I think bitd we called it a medley..lol..I kind of find it interesting how people fit things in musically and transition it from one thing to another...but again just an opinion

Exactly what makes drum corps beautiful...one person's trash is another's treasure (please don't think that I am saying any particular show is trash!!).

i agree some guard unis are quite horrible manily

'Couldn't agree with you more.

• Like 1

Exactly what makes drum corps beautiful...one person's trash is another's treasure (please don't think that I am saying any particular show is trash!!).

diversity..is not a bad thing even if it doesnt line up with a personal preference....with diversity comes choice and variety ( hopefully)