Alumni Spectacular Review

Cathie - thank you for taking the time to review. Sorry you missed us - Blessed Sacrament. I watched most of the shows from the end of St. Joe's to the Cabs. I finally got to sit and relax and enjoy. As I said in a Facebook comment every corps did a fantastic job in entertaining the audience right down to "blow my face-off" of Sky, B-Men and Cabs. It is nice to see differences in song and drill and no "cookie-cutter" corps as in DCI. And, you can leave the show and "hum" songs in your head that turned you on. All of the Alumni corps have their "staple" of songe,ie, Elks Parade, Call of the Bulls, William Tell, Bully, My Romance, etc. And it is why the Alumni Corps have become a popular venue for guys like us who love this activity and continue to partcipate.

Cathie -

May I add my thanks for the review of the Alumni Spectacular. As good as your review was (and I am NOT complaining in any way), an even more detailed review is always appreciated. Even if we are not being judged, we would like to know where we need improvement - intervals, distances, timing, etc. Without those kind of comments, we do not know where the fans think we should improve.

Yes, there is a great deal of respect and love between the Cabs Alumni and the competing corps, and vice versa. The competing corps is what we once were, wish we still were and help make us as good as we are. Their presence in the stands give us a boost - make us perform just that bit better - we do not wish to either disappoint them or let them down in any way. They help keep us young, if not physically, at least in out hearts.

Please excuse me if you think that I am complaining about your review in any way. It was among the best we have received in quite a while. Please continue. Thanks

Alumni Spectacular

Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni – I was so excited. I never got to actually see the Call to the Bull before and I was sitting right next to the group when Mr. Ponzo played it this time. So exciting! I love the fact that the competitive corps takes to time out to support the Alumni Corps. It must be such a blessing to have such an active, large, supportive organization as the Caballeros. Now on to the performance of all you swishy pants alumni. Two words; loved it. Did you think I was going to say anything else? :wink: I was tearing up at Don't Cry for Me Argentina. So beautiful and a bit haunting actually. A very nice moment along with The Prayer and beautiful, beautiful silks. Amazing job tonight.

Lastly, I know these Alumni "reviews" are pretty useless and offer no true substance as far as a review goes… but they're fun and I don't care. So there. :bleah:

No review is 'useless' to those of us who perform in and teach the Alumni Corps, Cathie. Early and mid-season reviews especially help us get an objective view of our show and enable us to focus on improvements. After all, we are not judged, except by the audiences. Though yours comes at the end of our outdoor exhibition season, thank you for your enthusiastic review of the show. Reviews such as yours give us great satisfaction to know that our fans enjoy what we have put on the field for them, and may even influence decisions regarding future routines. It's all good when anyone reviews a performance and gives us the outside observer's point of view. For example, can you believe that there were some misgivings about combining 'The Prayer' and 'Argentina' initially? Comments like yours only serve to confirm that the right decision was made last winter!

Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts on DCP. Too bad you didn't get to see Blessed Sacrament, Toronto and the Rebels -- They are great corps too, and I know they would have appreciated your comments as well. Please continue to submit your reviews when you can. Fun for you to write them and fun for us to read. All the corps appreciate them, I am sure!

• Like 1

...you'll enjoy the recording/vid, Fran, 'cuz they knocked it out of der park at the Alumni show. I saw 'em three times during the weekend; The Dock, the mini corps competition and the Alumni performance...they got better and better!

Hi Chas!!

It was GREAT getting to see (and talk to) you THREE times this weekend!!worthy.gif (and it wasn't even close to 1AM! *inside joke*)

(Next year maybe I can work on helping more than three Corps..... heaven knows I could use the exercise! w00t.gif )

By the way Cathie, I hope that in no way I was coming across as anything other than thankful for your review! :)

:thumbup:

Just a thought....

Do you think anyone from DCA noticed the crowd reaction to Cabs Alumni's off the line start?

It spoke volumes to me!

Great job by all the Alumni's!

...you'll enjoy the recording/vid, Fran, 'cuz they knocked it out of der park at the Alumni show. I saw 'em three times during the weekend; The Dock, the mini corps competition and the Alumni performance...they got better and better!

By chance do you know what happenned to Les Dips - no shows ??? Did they fold ?

Having marched in an Alumni Corps for 10 years now I can tell you everyone that marches likes to be appreciated for the hard work they put in, the time, and for last weekend the "sweat". We do it because we enjoy it, hard for non believers to understand, and we hope it is enjoyable to those that watch and listen to us at parades, concerts and shows. I know we aren't as polished as the regular corps but we all were once upon a time!!!!! Thanks to everyone that views our activity as worthy of watching and enjoying. We will do it even if no one watches, but it is more fun if you do!!!! :cool:

By chance do you know what happenned to Les Dips - no shows ??? Did they fold ?

They are still active and just did some shows in Ontario including the Scout House show. The brass line is a powerhouse (40 plus in the line ). Im hearing rumor that they cant do the Alumni Spectacular due to having an electronic keyboard, electric guitar and a vocalist in the pit. Im not sure how true that is but that is whats out there. They are very entertaining again this year.

They are still active and just did some shows in Ontario including the Scout House show. The brass line is a powerhouse (40 plus in the line ). Im hearing rumor that they cant do the Alumni Spectacular due to having an electronic keyboard, electric guitar and a vocalist in the pit. Im not sure how true that is but that is whats out there. They are very entertaining again this year.

This brings up an interesting question (to me anyway)... Other than those that appeared in Annapolis, are there any other alumni corps out there performing at a level sufficient to participate in the Alumni Spectacular?

A few come to mind... Boston Crusaders (missed them this year)... Defenders... the aforementioned Diplomates... Steel City Ambassadors... St. Kevin's...

Who are some others?