Prelims Review

I'll start gathering up my thoughts on DCA Prelims now, but it may take awhile to share all the good, bad, and bizarre taht ended up in my notebook.

For once, my scatterbrainedness helped me get a leg up on Jeff. Knowing I'd lose my notes if they weren't attached, I keep them on a small pocket notebook that went into my pocket during the breaks and therefore, stayed dry. Percussionists have to keep track of their kit and all of their accoutrements. For a Bari guy, if you have your horn, your mouthpiece of choice, and someone to bum valve oil off of, (I have my sad and needing help look down to a T) you can survive if you don't somehow manage to break your axe.

I am familiar with every DCA venue since 1978. I can say this- the USNA Stadium is the finest venue DCA has ever had to hold Championships at. My advice- keep it there if it makes money, period. Ease of access, parking, (even though it's 10 buxx) view from the stands, comfy seats, cleanliness (DEFINITE on this issue!), concessions... by far the best.

I had seats that were way up behind Jeff on the 50 on row 30-something, under the overhang so I didn't have to worry about sunblock and burning, which also made me happy as a clam. I did take note of the sun and heat. It brought back some seriously grueling Prelims runs in my youth, and I remembered how we came off the field and just..... stopped to gather up our wits after performing in a mainly black uni. I realized it would be a factor for several corps until things cooled off. Corps trying to make A Finals, and having to fight the heat as a bigger enemy than anything else that afternoon. Again, my numbers are approximate, forgive me if they are incorrect. Readers can check my Downingtown, Scranton, and Reading reviews for numbers and more details of programs from corps I've previously seen. I don't want to be repetitive.

First on, Excelsior (15FE/6Battery/9Brass/3 Guard/1DM) in the boiling sun, doing a show about Knights and Chivalry. The heat may have affected them, they seemed nervoous and hesitant in the opening of the program. It was tough for some of the brass voices to reach up to the box, and I think they might have been able to do more with their rather largish Front Ensemble. The Drill designer tried very hard to provide some variety in forms, which was appreciated.

I'd heard about the one Bass Drummer, who fight like mad to make it though the program. All due respect from myself, and also from anyone who has ever been out in heat like that in a prelims scenario.

Next on, Shenandoah Sound.

Dick, you had a GOOD day, sir. :worthy:

The music was a lot more subtle and sounded very competently performed in regards to the horns and the phrasal connections this week as compared to my close-in vantage point at Big Sounds. The onset of Katrina, the doppler sounds, and the various effects also came off well up high, which was really pleasing. The moment where the recovery was portrayed in the program came across well.

Their young tubist also had a fine run as well.

There were some visual details that just weren't tweaked like they needed to be, and the heat seemed to sap some of the horns about 2/3rd of the way through the program.

However, they got it together for the company front at the end of the program.

Shenandoah Sound has really im proved markedly over the past 4 or so seasons, and continuing to be more and more consistent over time will keep them on that path.

I do agree with Jeff in that I thought they'd placed ahead of Cincinnati Tradition that afternoon, it was a well-fought effort on the part of their corps, and one I respect.

At this point, It's time for work. I'll continue in the morning. I'll be thinking about my notes and such for the next several hours. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

Cincinnati Tradition (15 Brass/8 Front Ensemble/8 Guard/2DM/13 Battery) was next on in the broiler. They were on the fringe of challenging for a finals spot with theit Kenton-based program, performing such chestnuts as "Here's That Rainy Day", "Artistry in Percussion", "Artistry in Rhythm", "Send in the Clowns", and "Malaga". Solid choices spanning most of the main body and thrust of Kenton's work over four decades.

Their battery pushed and drove their overall ensemble. THeir soloists in Send on the Clowns and Malaga did fine work.

The hornline needs to assert itself at times, and they seemed to run out of juice during Malaga- quality issues became evident.

The pieces are there for the corps to keep moving forward and growing as an entity. I think the programming choice is a good one and that they could continue to explore large ensemble jazz in the future- but, then again, I am an admitted Kenton addict. Once they can get the percussion and brass elments and programming to flow smoothly along and segue from element to element with strength and quality, they'll be very good stead. For a young competitive corps still growing and learning in a tough DCA A Class, I think they have a solid future if they keep pushing.

The next corps was a real suprise and delight for me. I knew Sun was coming, but I kind of tucked that in a corner of my mind and then smiled when I saw them enter with their traditional look and colors.

The Sunrisers (8 Front Ensemble/28 Horns/8 Battery/2 DM/4 Guard) came ready to compete and perform their 'Carmen' program. (As an aside to the reader... HOW can anyone say all the corps sound the same when I've now sat through Kenton, Bizet, Robert W. Smith, and another Wind Band composer so far in the contest!? Please! Explain how anyone can make that comment on another thread!?)

The hornline had a solid, full-bodied and well-controlled sound for their size and handled some tough open-octave work early. The horn book was well-crafted and not the same old- same old arranging for the opera that one usually hears.

I really appreciated the way they tried to assemble their total package in an enjoyable, delightful, and both humorous when called for and also in a very serious way when Carmen's killed at the end.

This was a fine effort from Sun, and I would tell any Sun alumni who might wonder that they should be very proud of this corps. From the looks of things, they only have upside for the future, and they made a close, very competitive and genuine run at the White Sabres for the final Class A finalist spot. I wish them the very best of luck in their future and look forward to seeing them again next season.

The White Sabres were making a run leading into Championship weekend. I saw them at Reading, and other reviews were all saying the same thing- they were putting the pieces together, making obvious improvements, and had momentum.

Their performance at prelims was easily the finest performance I'd seen from the corps over the 6 or so years that I've seen them in DCA. The percussion got the corps off to a good start, and the corps was projecting that they were there to compete hard for a spot in finals, and tore into their program.

"Moon Dance" was a real highlight, and there was a marked improvement from the Reading contest in the areas that needed cleaning, especially the Mozart. The hard work and serious effort paid off for the corps, and they deserve all the congratulations they can get for fighting their way into finals against very solid competition. They've been fighting to make serious program and quality improvements every season and should take pride in that.

Windsor Regiment (22 Brass/2DM/8 Front Ensemble/ 12 Battery/10 Guard) came on the field with their "Angels in the Architecture" program. I loved the opening drill, and the corps has a great handle on visual design. Their guard performed well enough to grab me in a very positive way- and I'm not a guard person-- and their use of equipment was also thoughtful and appreciated, especially the harps.

I liked the brass book as well. I liked the various musical styles portrayed in the arrangements and the mello work in the chorale section.

I thought this program would place better than it did- it was a very well-coordinated piece of programming, very enjoyable, and the corps' performance made a fan out of me. My thanks and appreciation! :satisfied:

I've covered Carolina Gold in more detail in my Reading review, and from talking to one of the Board members, there were some recent changes at the end of the program that the corps was just a bit iffy on- yet, they performed strongly, got the crowd into their performance, especially when they expertly pulled off some of the tough arranging in the "Hall of the Mountain King" section, and threw down a very strong challenge to the defending Govenaires.

As for the Govies, (7 Front Ensemble/12 Battery/16 Guard/11ish horns/1 DM-Master of Ceremonies!!!) I had been waiting for them with extreme curiosity. They're one of the reasons I came to Annapolis, to be honest. My bud Jim Fawber had been telling me for years about how good they were, and Jim knows what good and exciting is.

This is one daggone fine horn ensemble, and the show is incredibly well coordinated from every aspect. The horn arrangements are, quite seriously, perfect for the personnel, and performed at a rippin' high level of quality and style.

The show was "hot" indeed, and oozed fun and excitement out of every pore. Giant Matches, A GOOD arrangement of "Disco Inferno", (perish that thought, but it was GREAT!) all I can say is Fawber is absolutely right about the Govies, and I'm now a fan of the corps- they won me over in spades. I thought they'd be able to hold everyone off, but they just lost out to Carolina Gold in a tough battle.

And so ended the Class A part of Prelims. The top 3 Class A corps were all tough, and I though the battle was closer and more in doubt than it proved to be.

All three top programs were extremely different in how they approached the activity, and also had three very different stories and themes, and also used very different types of musical genres to present their shows. Disco.... Alternative Rock, Edvard Grieg....Tichelli and Gillingham.... yet someone thinks it's all alike!? :blink:

All I know is that the musical smorgasboard was excellent and quite varied in Class A, and exhibited some serious talent, quality performances, and thoughtful programming-- oh, and it was quite entertaining.

I realized we hadn't hit Open class, and we'd already seen some smokin' hot performances already. It was gonna be a very good day ont he field for the DCA junkies, very good, indeed.

5 AM, I'll dig into the Open Class later, and then with my Fistbumps- and something else for the season end. Sleep beckons. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

Leading off the Open end of the contest were another corps I'd been wanting to see live for several years, the Renegades, (@48 horns/10 Front Ensemble/1 Mistress Kelly/14 Battery 20 Guard) the black and bad as heck corps from the West Coast. Videos from the past told me a lot, but to see it all live is far, far better.

The visual aesthetics tells the fan the world is different for the Renegades. Mistress Kelly's Harajuku Girl look, the sinister R.E.N.E.G.A.D.E. operatives out of a Bond flick styled unis, all calculated to make sure you know you're NOT in Kansas (thank God!) and to give that aura of sheer bad###fulness that defines the corps.

For those of you who have played Mass Effect 3, the Gades are even more bad###ful than Blasto's alien sidekick.

Their "Twisted" show was a wild blender of music from "Kill Bill", "Death Hunt", Ozzy Osbourne, Danny Elfman, and other pieces offered in a no apologies, exciting and entertaining package. Their soloists are absolutely wild and exciting, and help make for a fast-paced, in-your-face program.

They used the ramp prop quite effectively throughout the program, and used it very well to frame the battery in their percussion feature.

There were some set issues in the drill, and the drill was a bit careful, keeping the horns in the power zone to keep knocking down the stands.

Still, it was a great experience, one I really enjoyed! If this was the first corps on, the question was- where would their number hold up against the others to come. It was a fantastic start to the Open end of the competition, and a harbinger of the excitement to come......(to be continued)

• Like 1

The next competitor was the Bushwackers.

I came down hard on the show design in the Downingtown review. I felt it would take a herculean effort for the horns to make this show work.

The scores between Downingtown and Championship weekend indicated strong growth and the corps positioning itself to make a serious run at a Finalist spot. Maybe Hercules would show up. I was very curious to see if this young group could crank out a good, hard run of a very esoteric and physically demanding program.

The horns came out and cranked out a strong performance. It was obvious everyone was in the game, playing very hard, and like they'd found some large spherical objects in between Downingtown and Annapolis.

Chester sounded like it should- fast, strong, and unapologetic. Shenendoah was extremely well handled.

Bush came to fight and contend. They left nothing behind. Their membership should take extreme pride in that performance, even though it fell short of a Finals spot. The job, WELL DONE. :worthy:

I won't apologize for what I said at Downingtown. There has to be a way to make a program more presentable early on in the season. I know this is a topic of sincere and honest debate on DCP. If no one is really ready to put on a product of reasonable quality until the very last minute, why waste your time going to contests during the season?

The next issue is more serious. It may have been the last time anyone sees Bush perform. They may not have a chance to try and address that issue for 2013. I'd like to see them do so. There's a lot of good memories I have of the corps dating back to their first season.

I competed against them starting with their first year of their corps. We liked them, we appreciated their zen then, and let them know with a smile and a thumbs up in retreats when we could. The gray and yellow coats, the groove, it was all good, and we knew they were going somewhere before long.

I remember talking to one of their brass staff in 1985 about how Westshore put enough dents in the door in '82 and '83 to help them finally kick the door down in certain ways in DCA and help enable their success.

In the early '90's they were a real 'thinking man's corps' in DCA, pushing the intellectual and emotional envelope. I remember the Sweeney Tood show, and how they conveyed the intensity and menace of the title character. I believe their 1993 Championship show stood as perhaps the finest DCA program presented for many years.

"Rocky Point Holiday" in '06 still stands as a kick-axx moment in my mind.

It could be gone. If that's where it ends, I know many of us will always have very fond memories of Bush and a lot of respect for them. Let's hope they will continue to fight the good fight.

I'd never seen the Kilties (8 Front Ensemble/1DM/12 Color Guard/ 8 Battery/36 Horns) live, and was also looking forward to seeing them perform at prelims.

The corps sports a rather eclectic program of Drum Corps Chestnuts (Bach's 'Toccata and Fugue-Rollerball style, a Blast!-inspired arrangement of 'Land of Make-Believe", "Night on Bald Mountain" and a 70's Cadets inspired "Hall of the Mountain King") make for a fun and enjoyable performance. The horns were pretty crisp and clean, and their soloist when playing backfield for the effect was quite good.

I do have to ask what the Baris were up to in Bald Mountain and remind my fellow Westshore people that it was not MY fault they hung that release. I always get blamed for that whether I actually do it or not... :satisfied:

The drill angles more towards a set-piece-in-your-face style that scatters a fair amount. It's something they would need to address in the future to grab a finals slot.

They have the fun factor down, the highlander attitude, and some good folks in that horn line- the potential is there, and they were very enjoyable.

The CorpsVets took the field, and I convered their program in my Downingtown review.

Their drill read a lot better at this stadium, and the opener went down nicely. Enigma was VERY well done and a fine moment, the Euphoniums had a GOOD prelims run.

Overall, CV- WELL DONE. You have nothing to answer to anyone for, good show, fine job. :worthy:

I've also covered Fusion Core before. My notes are thin. All I have is that they "KICKED AXX FROM A TO Z." :thumbup:

There were some of us warning some of the DCP nay-sayers before the season beginning that these guys can play horns VERY well, and I think maybe now, the DCA world at large knows this. 'The Hit!' was nailed hard at prelims, and I'm not suprised that they uncorked it at finals to get ahead of the Renegades. The crowd was into it, and enjoyed the story and the music greatly.

It took serious guts to make the jump to Open for FC, and a lot of serious thought for the corps, and I'm thrilled the bold move has paid off. I'm hoping their success this year will prove to be a springboard for them to continue to develop and grow into an even tougher player in the DCA field.

More later- driving 360+ miles yesterday can take it outta you. MUCH more to cover. :satisfied:

The Statesmen were on next, in 7th place, not the position they're normally accustomed to.

The only option was for their corps to swing for the fences. They connected and got a solid hit. They struck hard, and did a fine job with their "Blue Man" segment, and "All by Myself".

The "Luck be a Lady" horn arrangement is truly a fine work for the corps, very well crafted.

I enjoyed the disappering girl at the end of the program as well. They executed this show at a very high level of quality.

So, many people have been asking on DCP, what's the problem with the corps?

Some people have answered it already. The problem for the Statesmen is that the rest of DCA has been catching up in every aspect. More hornlines are playing at very high levels of quality with solid standards of arranging. That used to be one thing that set their corps apart. Some corps have taken some pages from their book and created very well thought out programs that connect very directly with the audience, tell a great story/have a great narrative and are highly entertaining.

It's more of a statement of how high the excellence and quality that exists within the circuit is now than anything that they're not doing. They'll have to find a way to step up their game somehow to place higher. Everyone's a lot stronger across the board now.

When the Kidsgrove Scouts (48 Horns/1DM/7 Front Ensemble/14 Battery/16ish Guard) hit the field, the crowd was already abuzz. I could feel that excitement, and I'm certain the corps had to as well.

The flying warm-up worked, and set up the first impact perfectly. I felt my blood heat up as they drove home their program, entitled "Valley of the Kings"-- but I prefer my "Night Boat to Cairo" title myself. I'm sure the right Ska/Rocksteady/Britpop fans will get the reference. :satisfied:

In essence, this show was what Ancient Egypt would have been like if it was cool and had Drum Corps. A fun and exciting place.

The horns play like paint off the brush, and the ensemble is DEEP. Incredibly DEEP.

My guess is the Bari section was brought to the States in crates, fed solely on meat cooked rare, and then let out to rehearse, play the shows and then put back inside their crates until the next performance or rehearsals. As they say, their prelims run was absolute BEAST. :worthy:

Yeah- their soloists (both Trumpet and Baris!!!) are top notch and the ensemble's designed to stir the blood and generate massive excitement-- but this horn ensemble wouldn't have half the thundering impact it has without that kind of hard, solid playing out of their low brass. I'm talking the kind of impact like a 6 ton Tallboy bomb dropped out of an RAF Lancaster bomber had when it hit the Tirpitz.

The duet in Misirlou, impreccable! We even had belly dancers Pharoahs on platforms, and the crowd was totally eating out of the corps' hands from about a third of the way through the program.

Lots of neat visual cues, the Eye of Ra, solid moments.

And yeah, it was me yelling "WHY ARE WE NOT STANDING!!!!" before the final push. I lost my mind at the end of this show- the crowd gave it up, period.

So... why seventh!? I think that' a very fair question. Normally, I can figure out why and understand- this time- not as easy. I checked the ordinals.

9th in Visual ensemble really hurt- and that number contrasts with the 4th place in Guard- a very underrated guard by some knowlegeable people's estimation, I may add here, and the 6th in GE visual seems to contrast a bit with that ordinal as well.

8th in percussion also was a strong factor in the placement. Again, most people aren't looking closely at percussion unless it's exceptional- or awful.

They did get a 5th in communication- which also made sense. For me, they had the 4th place program of the day, but that's just me. All I know is I haven't reacted to a corps performance that strongly since the 2004 SCV Scherezade show. I thought their 2010 show, which I've watched on video--- was pretty good, but not the absolutely killer show that this presentation was.

After the Scouts left the field, the first rain hit. I got to talk to a lot of old corps friends, and make quite a few new ones as well as get something to eat, and buy some souvies. It's time for a break here for dinner!

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

While driving to dinner, I reminded myself of something about the Kidsgrove show that could tweak some of the readers. I don't mind politely pointing out that with the exception of the Misirlou, I do believe the majority of the program was all original composition, something thought of as anathema to certain circles. Yet- this show has been thought of as the most exciting of all of all of the programs from several old-schooler people. It certainly did get the largest reaction of the day from the audience. Some of that could be because many people went home after the two rain postponements, but still-- it would have been hard to top that crowd reaction even had everyone stayed.

Maybe- when the original composition is good and exciting, like this obviously was, it's a good thing. There can also be bad arranging of corps standards as well. I think some circles need to perhaps reappraise some of their thoughs about the 'all original music is bad/sounds the same' issue after seeing this corps.

The next corps on were Cadets 2. There are still people out there who have very strong reactions about this corps, and they come from every direction I can think of, even from Cadets Alumni- not from just the DCA grognards.

There are a lot of things one can discuss about the corps, but I personally do that on the other DCP forum sections. What I want to discuss here is the program and performance itself. Personally, that's the bottom line. It seems the actual show itself gets buried under layers of issues that have nothing to do with the actual program.

This was the third time I's seen C2, and I will say that the improvement from Scranton was marked.

The hornline came out of its shell, and had the 'Cadets patina of sound' when they opened up. They had the musical footprint that fans who listen recognize in the voicings and purity when they needed to have it.

The corps started to move and transition like people expect the Cadets to move. Most uniform designs are designed nowadays to hide body flaws and errors, but the long off-white side of the body line means that if your timing and effort changes aren't precise and crisp, you may as well set yourself on fire from head to toe and wave to the crowd, yelling "I MADE A MISTAKE!!!!" It's made me appreciate even more how well Cadets 1 has performed at a high level visually for decades.

A lot of people saw the dirt that was still there visually and were ready to comment- my answer to them was that it was MUCH better than Scranton, and that they've come a VERY long way throughout the season. I also more or less said.... don't be too tough. I started to see the corps transition and float like one would expect, in spite of the little issues here and there.

When one considers the youth of this corps and their inexperience at the beginning of the season, they came a long way and acquitted themselves very well at Prelims. I think some people were a bit afraid to give it up for the kids myself.

It could have been the programming. While it was solid-- the Cadets 1 theme this season truthfully would have been better suited for DCA and what people enjoy and look for.

There's been some discussion I've had about the weight of that uniform they wear on the field, the high expectations, the reputation. Personally, I think the corps members of C2 bore the weight and expectations of that uniform very well this season and should take a lot of satisfaction and pride in their product. They worked extremely hard to live up to the expectations.

George H. was at the show, and I hoped he saw that while DCA might be a smaller community, but that there are a lot of good corps on the field doing very worthwhile and enjoyable things on a tight time schedule and tighter budget and that the crowd does respond. He may need also to realize that next season's show may need to be restructured to make sure the visual package presents with a higher level of quality by being a bit less ambitious with it, if they want to try and push higher than 5th place. It may not matter to him, seeing as this is ostensibly a training organization for C1. That's their decision as to how they want to pursue their future in DCA.

4 corps to go. I apologize for the slowness, but my typing skills aren't the shiniest (I'm a Bari player for lord's sake!) and I have a lot of notes. :satisfied:

part if not all of Kidsgroves closer was Egyptian Danza

Good call! I know the title, not as familiar with the piece. :satisfied:

Still, you get that whole Middle Eastern music style going, it's recognizable as that, specific tunes, unless you're a serious student of it- tough to remember. I'd still say most of their show wasn't part of the "Greatest All-Time Hits of Drum Corps" CD, though I do know **someone** played Danza many years ago. WHO... I forget. :satisfied:

I'm just happy I know "Night Boat to Cairo". :satisfied:

Found it- mainly, early 80's Bush is known for the piece. 81 Cadets as well. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

Windsor Regiment (22 Brass/2DM/8 Front Ensemble/ 12 Battery/10 Guard) came on the field with their "Angels in the Architecture" program. I loved the opening drill, and the corps has a great handle on visual design. Their guard performed well enough to grab me in a very positive way- and I'm not a guard person-- and their use of equipment was also thoughtful and appreciated, especially the harps.

I liked the brass book as well. I liked the various musical styles portrayed in the arrangements and the mello work in the chorale section.

I thought this program would place better than it did- it was a very well-coordinated piece of programming, very enjoyable, and the corps' performance made a fan out of me. My thanks and appreciation! :satisfied:

Thank you! I hope you're able to see us again in 2013!