Brief Weekend Review

Annapolis was a wonderful venue. Subscribe to drum corps world for my complete review of the Sunday evening contest. Some brief thoughts from the Saturday and Sunday show.

Non-Finalists

Excelsior: Was expecting worse to be honest. Very respectable showing. Music played pretty well, didn't bite off much more than they could chew. Kudos to Bass 3 for fighting through show.

Shenandoah Sound: Best effort ever. Thought they finished 6th. Very engaging show with a lot of pop. Well done!

Cincinnati Tradition: Think they just had a rough run. Brass sounded gassed from the first note, maybe the heat. Percussion much improved from 2011.

Sunrisers: Wanted them in finals. Great show. Brass woke up the crowd. Guard came a long way since Clifton. Familiar music done well.

Kilties: Another fun show just lacking in a lot of depth. Entertaining as heck for sure with familiar themes. Guard keeps getting a little better each year.

Bushwackers: what a difference from Bridgeport. This was a great performance and fitting end to the season on a high note. All sections improved dramatically.

Finalists

White Sabers: Didn't completely dig some of the musical selections but this was a solid performance. Nice to see in finals. Props a nice touch and not distracting.

Windsor Regiment: Admittedly I didn't really get into this show. Heard the IUP Wind Ensemble play Angels at all-state two years ago and that ruined any other future rendition of the piece. I can say they improved two seasons worth from what I saw in Clifton and applaud all efforts.

Govenaires: True showmen with a fun show. Thought guard was way underscored on Sunday but 2nd was the right call. Can't wait to see what they have in store for 2013.

Carolina Gold: Deserved winners here. Felt a little flat Saturday but loved it Sunday. Total brass sound was there, great drumline and guard.

Renegades: No clue why this is 10th. I feel they were herrendously underscored. Regardless, I enjoyed all sections and soloists. Great show with really neat and diverse music. Loved Uninvited.

Fusion Core: Thought the beat CV on Saturday. They were on fire. Guard came a long way since early season. Fun show with great music.

Atlanta CV: Wished the horns had more power. Great visual package. Didnt buy Fat Bottomed Girls and what the guard was doing. Thought it was inappropriate. Neat mixture of music though.

Kidsgrove: Speaking of vastly underscored. This was a highlight reel of drum corps moves and music. Great soloists, great guard, drill was breakneck. Wish I could've seen them twice each night. Come back soon, really!!!!!

Empire Statesmen: Enjoyed the show but thought it was very safe for them. The usual tricks, power and pizzazz for sure, just didn't have the elements of a top 5 show. Cant wait to see what comes next for this corps. No doubt they'll be back in 2013 guns blazing.

Cadets2: Amazing improvement since Clifton. Top 5? Perhaps. Didnt really have an issue with it. Middle of the show seemed a bit boring and down but a great opener and closing sequence. Guard needed some work as they struggled.

Hurricanes: Great percussion and guard. Everything else seemed uninspired. Maybe another case of a corps not doing enough musically? Something just didnt knock my socks off and cant put finger on it. Good performances, just a little blah for my tastes.

Caballeros: Great show all around. Percussioncame a long way. Not your typical Cabs show but one to be remembered for sure. Loved the color guard! Backfield scream from Ponzo in ballad was favorite moment of show.

Minnesota Brass: Had them and Cabs in a coin flip. Thought Brass won percussion at finals. well thought out show with props, characters and great music and movement. Took the field like the champions they are. At least we know they're not happy with just one title.

Bucs: What can I say. Amazing all around!! The opening build is to die for. 1812, Dancer in the Dark were wonderful. No weak sections! As close to perfection as I've seen in DCA.

• Like 4

Short, to the point and on the money, Adam! :thumbup:

See you guys next summer at Cafe Rinaldi. :tongue: