Contrabass G bugle fingering chart?

Ch1k3n

Hello there!

So one of my friends recently caught a contrabass G bugle on craigslist for 50 bucks, and it (to me) is in fantastic condition, but the thing is I don't really know how to play it. I've learned "Tank" and part of our school's marching show on it by ear (It's a talent I possess XD), but I can't look at a piece of music and play it on the bugle.

I don't have a picture of it, but it looks pretty much like this. Now that I think about it, it might have even been a Getzen. But either way, it's got the piston in the front and rotary in the back. I'm just wondering if there's a fingering chart or something that I could use with this instrument.

Inside the case there is this little extra curved piece of tubing, which I assume is the F# rotary slide attachment?

Oh and one last question, are there notes that are not playable on this horn? While I was trying to play some stuff (Sonic Boom) I realized some of the notes just wouldn't play on the horn. I try all valve combinations and trying to bend the pitch, but it just doesn't want to work!

BTW, I live and thrive in the BB era, so this type of horn is completely new to me :devil:

If the rotary valve is mounted on the side of the tuning slide, like the one in the ad, it is definitely of Getzen manufacture. [The rotary looks like a Titleist baritone rotary because it is.] The other P/R contras (Whaley Royce, Smith, Olds, Dynasty I) all had the rotary centered on the tuning slide.

The rotary crook pictured in the ad is an F crook, lowering the pitch a whole step. It is 10½" long. What's floating around in the case is probably an F# (half-step) crook - it also doubles back on itself, but is just under 4" long.

Now check out the left side of the instrument. There is a tuning slide 4+" wide. If it has multiple coils, it is a D slide (P4). If it is just a "U" shape, it is an F (M2) slide.

Tell me whatcha got, and I have fingering chart PDFs of all the G bugle variants.

The baby Getzen, depending on whatever odd parts they built it with any particular day, WILL have a bunch of false notes. Some may be useful. At the same time, some harmonics you'd expect will barely resonate.

If it's longer than 31", it's not a baby Getzen.

If the rotary valve is mounted on the side of the tuning slide, like the one in the ad, it is definitely of Getzen manufacture. [The rotary looks like a Titleist baritone rotary because it is.] The other P/R contras (Whaley Royce, Smith, Olds, Dynasty I) all had the rotary centered on the tuning slide.

The rotary crook pictured in the ad is an F crook, lowering the pitch a whole step. It is 10½" long. What's floating around in the case is probably an F# (half-step) crook - it also doubles back on itself, but is just under 4" long.

Now check out the left side of the instrument. There is a tuning slide 4+" wide. If it has multiple coils, it is a D slide (P4). If it is just a "U" shape, it is an F (M2) slide.

Tell me whatcha got, and I have fingering chart PDFs of all the G bugle variants.

The baby Getzen, depending on whatever odd parts they built it with any particular day, WILL have a bunch of false notes. Some may be useful. At the same time, some harmonics you'd expect will barely resonate.

If it's longer than 31", it's not a baby Getzen.

Thanks for this! I'll check it out when I get back to school on Monday.

I'm learning the slow part of Czardas on it, it's pretty exciting and satisfying to get notes in tune :thumbup:

HornsUp is absolutely right. If you do have a baby Getzen, you will find all sorts of random notes are possible, depending on what your valve combinations are, be it a D piston or F piston, and F# rotor or F rotor.

A tuner will be a great aid. Do not try to figure out what combinations until you are slotted on a concert G. Slotting yourself on a D or a B will give you false returns.

Also, the baby Getzens really seem to be thrown together from backroom parts. My horn has an F piston, and F# rotor, and even with only what translates to valves 1 and 2 on a typical Bb tuba, I can play a full chromatic scale because of how strange these horns slot and the very small diameter tubing.