DCA Score Archive?

Sanctioned as far as all the corps there knew ... Hurcs, Cabs, Sky ... and others ... maybe Sun, Roch, Dips? ... Hurcs definitely won and looked in good shape for Prelims the next day ... I do remember some type of National Exposition was on and it was reported that they hit a million people for attendance ... they certainly had enough beer gardens!!!!

Now that I think of it, it was this show that propelled the corps to the "Clap Show" in 71 because no one wanted to compete "the night before" DCA ... hmmmm ... sounds like theres a poem in there somewhere ...

:-)

CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) is HUGE... one of the largest "state fair" type events in the world... the Stadium used for drum corps back then is on the CNE grounds (Was that Varsity stadium? or was that the "other" stadium? don't recall) as is the Hockey Hall of Fame and many other tourist traps... It's all spread along the Lakeshore on the west side of downtown...

The archives used for regular season shows is no doubt flawed... the championship archives was kept by H. Worth Ake and he treated it like his son and still I spent many years culling out errors... whenever you have a vast amount of information like that, humans will make mistakes and typos... In 1970, I was still with Brigadiers and unfortunately had called it a season after the first show... so I was not there... Did not return to Cru until the fall of 1971...

My memory is shot.....don't know the city or the corps that "won"......but yes, it was based on audience responce and proved to be a ridiculous concept as far as any corps taking the show seriously! Basically everyone's performance was of an "exibition" quality. Retreat was hilarious though...lots of clapping by the corps! Lisko probably can give more deyail....Take it Andy...................

The 71 "Clap Show" was held in Syracuse on the Saturday night before DCA Championships ... they had some type of applause meter that measured the "clapping" done by the fans ... not sure if the Cabs or Hurcs won ... we (Sky) came in third ... LOL ... but, that's okay - we had a pretty good finish at Prelims and Finals the next day ...

:whistle:

• Like 1

The 71 "Clap Show" was held in Syracuse on the Saturday night before DCA Championships ... they had some type of applause meter that measured the "clapping" done by the fans ... not sure if the Cabs or Hurcs won ... we (Sky) came in third ... LOL ... but, that's okay - we had a pretty good finish at Prelims and Finals the next day ...

Cabs must've won...we didn't.........And you did have quite a nice finish........much better than winning the clap!

a few years earlier in Rome NY they did another clap show and a strong Brigadiers were beaten by Hamburg Kingsmen... YIKES! I think that was the night they brought out an old car and the drums beat the heck out of it...

Does anyone know where to find the DCA score archive? I know it was available a while back, but now I can't find it. I'm looking for scores for Gloversville 1976 (June) and Toronto (Sept) 1970.

Thanks!

Fish - you wildman!

When did you pass from simple contrabass star to historian?

I read your history of the Hurcs - I laughed - I cried - I couldn't stop turning virtual pages.

Like Heroditus with a lightning bolt on his robe!

Who would have dreamed you would have become such a scholar?

Certainly no one who knew you during the 70s!!!

Hope all is well. Keep it up!

Toronto in 1970 I was at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California learning Mandarin Chinese. Not sure it was DCA sanctioned either.

Toronto in 1970 I was at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California learning Mandarin Chinese. Not sure it was DCA sanctioned either.

Ray, just a quick question... Were you in the ASA?

Fish - you wildman!

When did you pass from simple contrabass star to historian?

I read your history of the Hurcs - I laughed - I cried - I couldn't stop turning virtual pages.

Like Heroditus with a lightning bolt on his robe!

Who would have dreamed you would have become such a scholar?

Certainly no one who knew you during the 70s!!!

Hope all is well. Keep it up!

Hey Ray,

Thanks!....Been a long time. I was beggining to wonder if the internet had reached Dallas yet? What do you mean "simple contrabass" and, what happened in the 70's???

Herodotus66......(now that has a ring to it!)

was Toronto 1970 a DCA sanctioned show or one of the "other" leagues? Don't think it was DCA...

toronto held a show in 1969 and 1970. we went to the 69 show. i think sky won that night. in 70 the hurcs won. and at that point beating the cabs i thought they would win DCA. and yes it was a DCA show. they both were.