What area of the world can challenge DCI corps?

The spelling is Taipei Yuehfu. The name “Yuehfu” comes from the name of the Imperial Chinese government bureau in charge of compiling and maintaining collections of all Chinese musical literature.

The corps almost won the Division III Championship in 2005, but had a 0.5 overtime penalty in Finals when the drum major held the corps back when the audience applauded so heavily between sections, resulting in them missing the title by 0.15. (They had been ahead by 1.35 in Prelims.) If anyone here saw the show, it was the one with the remarkable ending with the oriental fans encompassing the entire corps.

They were going to come to DCI in 2003, but the SARS epidemic in May of that year that hit Taiwan hard was centered in a hospital that was very close to where they were based. They were a wonderful corps and I'm sorry recent audiences haven't had the joy of being exposed to them.

Wow, I can't believe I've been granted the honor of correcting Michael Boo on drum corps history. This must be my lucky day.

Taipei Yuehfu lost in finals by 0.15, this is true. However in GRAND Finals, they still lost and by a larger margin. I don't know anything about the penalty, but it's doubtful that they made the same mistake two nights in a row so on at least one of those nights their loss was due to the fact that the corps who won (the Raiders, by the way) simply out-performed them. Still a fantastic show though, it definitely won in audience appeal.

But on the main topic of this article, I've been seeing a lot from Patria on Facebook and YouTube. Since they're connected to the United States by a landmass and don't have to fly (and they're from Mexico which isn't far at all), I think it could be a definite possibility to see them in Indy or at DCA in the near future.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 2

Wow, I can't believe I've been granted the honor of correcting Michael Boo on drum corps history. This must be my lucky day.

Taipei Yuehfu lost in finals by 0.15, this is true. However in GRAND Finals, they still lost and by a larger margin. I don't know anything about the penalty, but it's doubtful that they made the same mistake two nights in a row so on at least one of those nights their loss was due to the fact that the corps who won (the Raiders, by the way) simply out-performed them. Still a fantastic show though, it definitely won in audience appeal.

But on the main topic of this article, I've been seeing a lot from Patria on Facebook and YouTube. Since they're connected to the United States by a landmass and don't have to fly (and they're from Mexico which isn't far at all), I think it could be a definite possibility to see them in Indy or at DCA in the near future.

Hate to tell you this...but you've still got to wait to correct me on something. (I'm sure you won't have to wait long.) Please read what I wrote again. I was not writing about Grand Finals, having specifically mentioned the Division III Championship. There was no division awards handed out for Grand Finals, but there were awards handed out to the Division II and Division III Champions from the day before Grand Finals.

Like I said; you probably won't have to wait long. But don't go celebrating just yet. :tongue:

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Taipei Yuehfu lost in finals by 0.15, this is true. However in GRAND Finals, they still lost and by a larger margin. I don't know anything about the penalty, but it's doubtful that they made the same mistake two nights in a row so on at least one of those nights their loss was due to the fact that the corps who won (the Raiders, by the way) simply out-performed them.

Can the Raiders be said to have won that night, given that they placed eighth? :tongue:

Until reading this post, I didn't realize there had been such a thing as Div. II-III "Grand Finals". I see that in the G.F., the Div. III champion Raiders increased their lead over runner-up Yuehfu from 0.150 to 0.275, but also that Yuehfu widened their lead over third-place Yamato from 1.925 to 3.050.

All the 2005 Grand Finals shows are on the DCI Fan Network -- except for the Div II. champion, East Coast Jazz! Does anyone know why that one is missing?

The spelling is Taipei Yuehfu. The name “Yuehfu” comes from the name of the Imperial Chinese government bureau in charge of compiling and maintaining collections of all Chinese musical literature.

The corps almost won the Division III Championship in 2005, but had a 0.5 overtime penalty in Finals when the drum major held the corps back when the audience applauded so heavily between sections, resulting in them missing the title by 0.15. (They had been ahead by 1.35 in Prelims.) If anyone here saw the show, it was the one with the remarkable ending with the oriental fans encompassing the entire corps.

They were going to come to DCI in 2003, but the SARS epidemic in May of that year that hit Taiwan hard was centered in a hospital that was very close to where they were based. They were a wonderful corps and I'm sorry recent audiences haven't had the joy of being exposed to them.

Thank you. I knew I mis-spelled their name.

I remember seeing them on the DVD, and really liking their show, but I never knew about the penalty. But it was cool to see how much people appreciated them coming all of the to Brockton, Mass. for the FInals.

Maybe they will come back again? I would like to see more of the corps from Asia come over, make DCI more international again

Japanese corps have come over before. Yokohama Scouts have made a few trips, and Yamato used to be split between Japan and the US. And wasn't Taipei Yuefu from Taiwan? i may have butchered the spelling, but I remember them from a few years back. I think that Japan would be the closest to us, and could easily compete if they decided to do a 150 person World Class corps and show. The quality of music coming out of that country is crazy. I've seen middle school bands better than some college ensembles.

I don't think they could ever win on the same sheet as the US corps. When Yamato and Taipei came over, they got SLAMMED on GE. And for good reason, but it's just a different product being put out there.

If China get's into Drum Corps they will do what they always do, watch closely, copy then improve.... eventually they'd do it better than the rest of us.

As mentioned previously, numbers are the biggest issue. This is a UK corps called The Company, very small in DCI terms but they actually beat Kidsgrove at the Drum Corps Europe Championships in 2011. You'll also see that George Hopkins doesn't always come up with The Cadets show theme......

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

Drum corps across the pond is all a part time activity and is majorly open age.

I think the only solution would be a mixture of all the corps rather than one in particular...with a more intense schedule.

If China get's into Drum Corps they will do what they always do, watch closely, copy then improve.... eventually they'd do it better than the rest of us.

We'll find out soon enough ( within 24 months) if they handle their Residential and Commercial Real Estate bubble thats about to burst " better than the rest of us ". They copied our housing overbuilding and no doc. loans too... bigger than we did... and now the China residential and commercial housing bubble is about to burst bigtime.

We can play play taps better on a trumpet than they can too.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't think they could ever win on the same sheet as the US corps. When Yamato and Taipei came over, they got SLAMMED on GE. And for good reason, but it's just a different product being put out there.

But they still competed very well. Taipei got 2nd in Div.III by a very close margin, and Yamato did pretty well when they were competing. And Yokohama Scouts won the International Division twice, although I'm not sure how much weight that carries in the DCI world.