What area of the world can challenge DCI corps?

Drum corps across the pond is all a part time activity and is majorly open age.

I think the only solution would be a mixture of all the corps rather than one in particular...with a more intense schedule.

I too have thought this is the only way.

Not sure how the substantial logistical obstacles could be over come... differing school/college/uni summer holidays in every country would ensure the equivalent of move ins would be nye on impossible.... I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if some countries returned to school during or before Finals week...? How, where and when would the British & Continental European kids practice together without being together in a move in situation.

I suspect we'd almost have to give up on the DCUK/DCE season for a year or two.

Would be pretty amazing tho.

We'll find out soon enough ( within 24 months) if they handle their Residential and Commercial Real Estate bubble thats about to burst " better than the rest of us ". They copied our housing overbuilding and no doc. loans too... bigger than we did... and now the China residential and commercial housing bubble is about to burst bigtime.

We can play play taps better on a trumpet than they can too.

They may also inadvertently copy our mistakes but as a rule they generally get things right... if they don't get it right, they'll just say the did anyway.

wow... this thread is timely for me as I leave tomorrow for DCUK and DCE Championships... I will be (ably assisted by Joe Siracuse) covering both shows for Drum Corps World... a few comments...

As one of the Kidsgrove Scouts eluded to, drum corps in Europe - although done on a VERY high level - is far closer to the DCA model than DCI... (weekend warriors) best to consider it unto itself than try and squeeze it into any American stereotype - but my goodness... didn't Kidsgrove do a wonderful job of that? Rob Swindells can write drill for ANY drum corps... I can't wait to see them back to back with The Company...

Whoever said Inspires got a gift in 2002.... absolutely wasn't there.... they could easily have been ranked higher and got a severely LOW score in prelims.... I honestly believe that the judges held the number back as in the back of their mind they were as a group saying "they couldn't have really been that good"... as far as any of us AT THE SHOW were concerned, finals was a correction and could have even gone higher...

The drum corps work ethic is the amazing thing... the same work ethic we (yes I was there) had in the 1950's and carried on into DCI and DCA has been adopted by drum corps everywhere... as Bill Cook left the writers for Sports Illustrated shaking their heads after watching a Star of Indiana rehearsal and writing the Bobby Knight article on how he took his athletes to watch Star rehearse to find out what WORK ethics really meant... corps/bands in Europe and Japan (and elsewhere) are slowly turning heads as they demonstrate the potential success of a large number of human beings all working HARD together to achieve a combined success and excellence of performance...

Watching Kidsgrove 2 weeks ago proved to me that they belonged... not just because of the final product in the stadium but because of watching many hours of rehearsal and HOW THEY REHEARSED...

and in 2002? I met Inspires when they arrived. I watched them warm up the first time... before they were done warming up, I was on the cell phone with Mickey Petrone... All he said was "WELL?"

My response, "Holy SH.....t! A whole bunch of DCA corps have a BIG problem and that problem just flew in from Japan... These guys KNOW how to do drum corps and do it VERY WELL!" and all I had seen at that time was warm ups...

We should all be proud of the drum corps work ethic and the importance of this work ethic on the lives of thousands of our participants and the effect it has had spreading around the world...

I recently had contact with Inspire's Director Takahisa Ogihara and know that they are investigating coming back some time soon... Let's all hope this happens...

• Like 3

They may also inadvertently copy our mistakes but as a rule they generally get things right... if they don't get it right, they'll just say the did anyway.

True... it'll be interesting too see if they are as good as talking a good game as us too when it comes to fixing what needs to be fixed. ( haha)

I do see like how the Drum Corps activity seems to be expanding more and more over other parts of the Globe, despite its contraction of late here in the US. That part is encouraging about the activity anyway.

wow... this thread is timely for me as I leave tomorrow for DCUK and DCE Championships... I will be (ably assisted by Joe Siracuse) covering both shows for Drum Corps World... a few comments...

As one of the Kidsgrove Scouts eluded to, drum corps in Europe - although done on a VERY high level - is far closer to the DCA model than DCI... (weekend warriors) best to consider it unto itself than try and squeeze it into any American stereotype - but my goodness... didn't Kidsgrove do a wonderful job of that? Rob Swindells can write drill for ANY drum corps... I can't wait to see them back to back with The Company...

Whoever said Inspires got a gift in 2002.... absolutely wasn't there.... they could easily have been ranked higher and got a severely LOW score in prelims.... I honestly believe that the judges held the number back as in the back of their mind they were as a group saying "they couldn't have really been that good"... as far as any of us AT THE SHOW were concerned, finals was a correction and could have even gone higher...

The drum corps work ethic is the amazing thing... the same work ethic we (yes I was there) had in the 1950's and carried on into DCI and DCA has been adopted by drum corps everywhere... as Bill Cook left the writers for Sports Illustrated shaking their heads after watching a Star of Indiana rehearsal and writing the Bobby Knight article on how he took his athletes to watch Star rehearse to find out what WORK ethics really meant... corps/bands in Europe and Japan (and elsewhere) are slowly turning heads as they demonstrate the potential success of a large number of human beings all working HARD together to achieve a combined success and excellence of performance...

Watching Kidsgrove 2 weeks ago proved to me that they belonged... not just because of the final product in the stadium but because of watching many hours of rehearsal and HOW THEY REHEARSED...

and in 2002? I met Inspires when they arrived. I watched them warm up the first time... before they were done warming up, I was on the cell phone with Mickey Petrone... All he said was "WELL?"

My response, "Holy SH.....t! A whole bunch of DCA corps have a BIG problem and that problem just flew in from Japan... These guys KNOW how to do drum corps and do it VERY WELL!" and all I had seen at that time was warm ups...

We should all be proud of the drum corps work ethic and the importance of this work ethic on the lives of thousands of our participants and the effect it has had spreading around the world...

I recently had contact with Inspire's Director Takahisa Ogihara and know that they are investigating coming back some time soon... Let's all hope this happens...

Safe trip!

Thanks for the input!

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE CLIPS!

So I was checking out the Aimachi video that Boo posted,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJe84VeOIs

Since I saw them live at DCA, I've been watching the Kidgrove Scouts too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-Pum1CEM0

Finally, I saw Patria from Guatemala because of the BD trip there

I know there are groups in Indonesia, Europe, and other places in the world.

It's great to see Drum Corps and the marching arts in general in so many countries around the world.

Still the question remains... What part of the world can rival the US, or at least come the closest to rivaling us in quality?

Are there groups in China that could compete here? What about Brazil?

My guess is that Japan is the closest, followed by Europe. What do you guys think? I know many of you are very knowledgeable about the marching arts around the world.

Is there a region or even a country that can rival us? Where is it? Who comes the closest? satisfied.gif

• Like 2

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE CLIPS!

I'd like to see more corps from other countries. How about South Africa or Brazil? We just need to know the names of the groups and they're likely on youtube.

Edited by jjeffeory

We'll find out soon enough ( within 24 months) if they handle their Residential and Commercial Real Estate bubble thats about to burst " better than the rest of us ". They copied our housing overbuilding and no doc. loans too... bigger than we did... and now the China residential and commercial housing bubble is about to burst bigtime.

We can play play taps better on a trumpet than they can too.

Yup...roads to nowhere and tall skyscrapers thrown up quickly with nobody to occupy them.

Not to mention very little in the way of construction standards. Buildings fall apart as fast as they are put up in a lot of cases. My daughter lived in PRC two years ago, way up north in Shenyang, and is living there again this year, this time in Tianjin, teaching English. She has seen first-hand how much of the public facade shown to the world is just that, a facade.

Yup...roads to nowhere and tall skyscrapers thrown up quickly with nobody to occupy them.

Not to mention very little in the way of construction standards. Buildings fall apart as fast as they are put up in a lot of cases. My daughter lived in PRC two years ago, way up north in Shenyang, and is living there again this year, this time in Tianjin, teaching English. She has seen first-hand how much of the public facade shown to the world is just that, a facade.

Gotta agree with you there. Got a friend living in Shanghai taking Eastern Medicine classes and teaching English. The infrastructure there is a facade.

He's paying almost the same rates for school there ( at a premier University) as he did at a local college, yet the facilities and infrastructure is sorely lacking.

Kind of makes you wonder where all the money is going.

Still, MB is such a showy activity. I'm sure China would want to invest more into that... smile.gif