Modern Players With Older Equipment

Once in a while someone squawks about horrible sounding older equipment and lack of talent of past members. Not getting into that as (IMO) some merit in the argument considering the quality of equipment I played BITD and hey... more people playing so average talent level would go down.

So I just hit the Latverian Lotto (with thanks to Victor von Doom) and had a bunch of new equipment made. Equipment is full set of piston/rotor horns (in G 'natch) and full set of marching drums.

So looking for applications to put these beasts (my term) on the field. How would you program a show with todays members/talent and new copies of BITD equipment? Giving leeway in how to handle the percussion so pit is allowed (IOW park the tymp/bells) and do what ya want with the guard. Oh yeah... Honor Guard equipment will be supplied.

As for horns, just remember... no 3rd valve.....

Tis the Off Season.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

doesn't really matter what you programed, I would expect once the kids found out what they would be playing on you would have no members.

Edited by bluecoats88
  • Like 2

I know there's a yearning and belief by some that g bugles and other older equipment would be a hit on today's drum corps fields. Although it would be interesting, it wouldn't be up to the sound and visual standards of today's performers.

No matter how much you'd tune the old stuff, you'll never get the sound quality you hear today - and that includes the old percussion equipment too.

Your equipment would be great to see with an exhibition corps. It would be a lot of fun. However, that's about as far as I'd go with it.

• Like 2

This is a craps 'n gigles thread and putting reality into it kills the intent. :doh: I know some younger folks have the same feeling about hearing P/R as I do hearing corps from decades before my time (have the CDs to prove it). C'mon folks suspend your disbelief (an old theater term I remembered).....

PS - Not exactly a real world scenario as shown by the von Doom reference :devil:. Or am I the only one who knows about the not so good Doctor.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I know there's a yearning and belief by some that g bugles and other older equipment would be a hit on today's drum corps fields. Although it would be interesting, it wouldn't be up to the sound and visual standards of today's performers.

No matter how much you'd tune the old stuff, you'll never get the sound quality you hear today - and that includes the old percussion equipment too.

Your equipment would be great to see with an exhibition corps. It would be a lot of fun. However, that's about as far as I'd go with it.

It's all in the approach. The quality of a great G Bugle line and the level of education needed to make it sound great is sorely missing in Junior Drum corps today.

I like both sounds and I miss hearing BOTH sounds. smile.gif

The "Latverian Lotto"? Ha! Love it. (Aye, I remember Dr. Doom :tongue: )

How about: side two of Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord"? (Lost Chord, G bugles... ha!).

crimsonlostchord.jpg

Won a silver medal with it couple seasons back... :thumbup:

I love the idea of a corps playing piston rotor g horns and old school marching percussion, and I am still of the age in which I can march DCI. I think the kids would like the challenge and try to excel as best they could, or they would if they were all like me

I love the idea of a corps playing piston rotor g horns and old school marching percussion, and I am still of the age in which I can march DCI. I think the kids would like the challenge and try to excel as best they could, or they would if they were all like me

Brought my Olds Ultratone p/r sop to practice last night and all the young ones wanted to give it a try - couple of the old bucks too (two of them marched back in the 70s, both bari). All good players and all got a good sound out of it (they also loved the power). :thumbup:

Everyone of them realized right away it was not a "symphony" instrument - it was built for outdoor power and pleasure.

I think the statement "none of them would ever join" is a bit overblown. I suspect there would be a greater interest than what some would like all to believe.

• Like 3

Brought my Olds Ultratone p/r sop to practice last night and all the young ones wanted to give it a try - couple of the old bucks too (two of them marched back in the 70s, both bari). All good players and all got a good sound out of it (they also loved the power). :thumbup:

Everyone of them realized right away it was not a "symphony" instrument - it was built for outdoor power and pleasure.

I think the statement "none of them would ever join" is a bit overblown. I suspect there would be a greater interest than what some would like all to believe.

They wanted to play it as a novelty, which is exactly what it is. You try and equip a modern competing corps with those, and you'd have members (and staff) running for the exits after the honeymoon wore off (by the end of the first camp).

They wanted to play it as a novelty, which is exactly what it is. You try and equip a modern competing corps with those, and you'd have members (and staff) running for the exits after the honeymoon wore off (by the end of the first camp).

After the honeymoon wore off? As if there would actually be a honeymoon? Those brides would be left standing at the alter wondering where the grooms were, while the grooms would be off somewhere in a band room playing on new trumpets.

What the OP proposed is a fascinating and intriguing idea, but I think it would have more of a chance of success if it came with a time machine. Then we could all be young again. Isn't that what we really want? (And in my case...thin.)

I had to Google "Latveria." I see it is surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains. The RMS Carpathia is the transatlantic steamship that picked up many of the survivors of the RMS Titanic. There's a joke in there somewhere, but it's too late in the day for me to find it.

• Like 1