Modern Players With Older Equipment

In 2004, the last year of retreats, my corps (Cap Reg) was around Blue Knights a lot in the Southern tour. One of their sops had an old valve-rotor bugle and would bring it out for retreats. Anyone know anything about that?

At any rate, I don't think the difference would be that noticeable. Sure, the timbre of the drums etc. would be different, and you might need to make some adjustments to technique, writing and approach to accommodate the instruments, but if you take BD or Crown from 2012 they will still find a way to perform at an extremely high level.

Brought my Olds Ultratone p/r sop to practice last night and all the young ones wanted to give it a try - couple of the old bucks too (two of them marched back in the 70s, both bari). All good players and all got a good sound out of it (they also loved the power). :thumbup:

Played Olds Duratone (flat finish) and finally found one a few years ago. Have a collection of Baris of 2v, P/R, 1v "Bass" (what we call a Bari today), and pair of 1v Tenor Baris (sound like trombones) of vintages from pre-WWII to 80s. All different sound and challenges to play musically (IOW good tone, etc, etc).

LOL - biggest challenge BITD was not overblowing the horn and getting a "blatty" (term we used) tone. Can't do it like that with my corps 3v today. Better horn or older player.... :huh:

Everyone of them realized right away it was not a "symphony" instrument - it was built for outdoor power and pleasure.

I call 'em "modified signaling devices" and the mods were adding the valves...

Intent of thread was to play a mind game of designing (better term) a show of today with older equipment. We've seen what is done with todays better (yes I'll say it) equipment so I swapped out the equipment. Like I posted it's the off season so time to come up sith something to kill some time.

Besides "His Excellency" is getting antsy about lack of use of his money. And Jon and I know what Doomsie is like when he's PO'ed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

All due respect Jim, but threads like these make me wonder.

This is like asking these kids to wear our old 70s "flares" to parties. Or to watch TV without a remote (or to watch TV on a TV!). It's not their context. We don't ask young tennis players to consider competing with old wooden rackets. Why drum corps?

But I'm willing to offer the benefit of the doubt. What would we learn from this exercise?

HH

This is like asking these kids to wear our old 70s "flares" to parties. Or to watch TV without a remote (or to watch TV on a TV!). It's not their context. We don't ask young tennis players to consider competing with old wooden rackets. Why drum corps?

But I'm willing to offer the benefit of the doubt. What would we learn from this exercise?

HH

Not what "we" would learn, what would "they" learn. Never had a retro party? Playing 8 tracks etc? We make major league baseball players use wooden bats and in college they use metal. BTW in sports they DO have retro uniforms day. Not saying practical but would be fun for peeps for a day.

Those horns were very well made and made to last back then. I would love to get my hands on a nice Duratone or Ultratone p/r bari. I guarantee the sound would be big and full and the intonation impeccable. It is what I learned on in my youth and how we were taught.

HH

Sort of like wearing the kilt, or a white satin blouse and kick pleats, or that old fasioned Garfield Cadet uni......

HH

Earth to some of the people on this thread....

THIS IS PRETEND!!!!!

***** SHEESH *******

Just wondering what kind of show DCPers would create using BITD equipment and getting into areas the OP never intended to even think about. Anyone notice I never asked if this was even POSSIBLE?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

After the honeymoon wore off? As if there would actually be a honeymoon? Those brides would be left standing at the alter wondering where the grooms were, while the grooms would be off somewhere in a band room playing on new trumpets.

What the OP proposed is a fascinating and intriguing idea, but I think it would have more of a chance of success if it came with a time machine. Then we could all be young again. Isn't that what we really want? (And in my case...thin.)

I had to Google "Latveria." I see it is surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains. The RMS Carpathia is the transatlantic steamship that picked up many of the survivors of the RMS Titanic. There's a joke in there somewhere, but it's too late in the day for me to find it.

Ever hear on of Sandra Opie's Argonne Rebels lines? It proves that intonation, sound quality as well as decibels can come out of a G bugle.

Maybe what we need is a few more brass instructors like her...

• Like 1

Earth to some of the people on this thread....

THIS IS PRETEND!!!!!

***** SHEESH *******

Just wondering what kind of show DCPers would create using BITD equipment and getting into areas the OP never intended to even think about. Anyone notice I never asked if this was even POSSIBLE?

A kick-butt higher-faster-louder show with precision marching and guard equipment-work, drums that sound like drums, no electronics, push-the stands back 25-yards with the space where the stands used to be filled with thrown babies.

That kind of show.

Sort of like wearing the kilt, or a white satin blouse and kick pleats, or that old fasioned Garfield Cadet uni......

Of course the difference is the Garfield uniform has been in continuous use. Can't say that for the old horns. It's an important difference.

HH

• Like 1