1980's

dbg

I am working on a project and was hoping to get peoples opinion.........which I'm sure won't be hard in here ;-)

What would you consider DCI's top 5 influential/iconic percussion moments or achievements of the 1980's

What would you consider DCI's top 5 influential/iconic corps moments or achievements of the 1980's

Thanks

1. 1980 SCV - Stone Ground Seven

2. 1982 Garfield - first corps (I believe) with fully grounded concert percussion instruments)

3. 1984 SCV - Bohemia (first solo to fully focus on ensemble writing in the pit)

3. 1987 SCV - Introduction of kevlar heads

5. 1982 Bridgemen - Black Market Juggler

I would give a mention of the 1980's 27th Lancers performance from both a percussion perspective and as an iconic show. It may be the most beloved "runner up" show and fierce debates still rage as to whether it was 27th's or Blue Devils' night. However, from an objective point of view, what 27th did that year with George Zingali's drill was a precursor to what he would later do with Cadets and Star of Indiana. The drum solo of "New Country" was more advanced than what others were doing at the time and while I know Madison had the same piece for a drum solo and even attempted some of the same color guard maneuvers, it was not quite what 27th did.

1980 SCV asymmetrical drill was bold for its time and was probably better than the 7th place it received.

in 1981 and 82, Phantom attempted "Spartacus." While it was hardly what they would do in 2008, and not an all time favorite of fans, it was the beginning of themed shows, a concept that has become the standard today.

1988 and 89 SCV: their rendition of "Phantom of the Opera" is not only one of drum corps most beloved shows, it was a departure for the corps and has an integration of dance and traditional guard moves that still stands the test of time. You can't have a list of 1980's iconic moments without mentioning Blue Devils and Cadets, so I'll give a tie, knowing that in DCI ties are infamous. For BD I'll give 1986 as one of the great moments of the decade. It was a celebration of both what Blue Devils had been and what would be yet to be. Cadets I would give to 1985, not my favorite year for them but they did win their third title, the first and only corps to "threepeatr."

Other interesting moments: and honorable mentions

The 1988 finals with the "draw system" rather than competing in reverse order of prelims placement. Rather controversial and never done again. 1988 may have had the best collection of shows.

1980 Garfield Cadets: The mock solo in Elk's Parade with the young boy appearing to be blasting away while Al Chez hid and played the actual solo.

1980 Spirit of Atlanta "Let It Be Me" in honor of Jim Ott. Even a more emotional performance, the concert the night he died which can be seen on Youtube.

1987 and 88 Velvet Knights: Can you get any more 80's than Velvet Knights?

1980 Bridgemen "In the Stone" was first performed.

For percussion moments I would say:

SCV's use of Steel drums in 1983

VK snares and quads playing of bass drums mounted on poles during the drum solo in 1989

Bridgemen, Black Market Juggler in 1980.

Phamtom having the quads play snares and the large bells in the pit for 1812 Overture in 1983, quite a thunderous sound which is the norm nowadays.

The drum charts written for the 27th's Niner two.

As for iconic moments:

SCV's drill in 1980

Garfield taking it to a more extreme level starting in 1982.

SCV Russian Christmas

BD One more time Chuck Corea

Spirit of Atlanta starting with the first horn impacts from Sweet Georgia Brown to the ending notes in Let it be Me in 1980 after what had happened earlier. Not too many dry eyes in Legion Field that night.

• Like 1

1986 & 1987 Sky Ryders Wizard of Oz & West Side Story Shows really led the activity in story telling shows

• Like 1

Drum moments:

1980 SCV Stone Ground Seven

1980 Bridgemen- Black Market Juggler

1982 Bridgemen- Blindfolded Drumming

1987 SCV- first use of Kevlar drum heads

1987 Garfield Cadets- perfect drum score (still controversial as to whether it was deserved)

Top 5 overall moments

1980 Spirit- playing up to Heaven

1987 SCV- Russian Christmas Music, and the magic trick

1987 Garfield- dissolving company front

1987 Sky Ryders- the West Side Story show, and the brilliant use of color, splitting the corps in half

1989 SCV- Phantom of the Opera/Music of the Night closer and the disappearing Phantom

Just my thoughts, even though I wasn't around then. Still love me some 80s shows.

Cadets increased visual demands for the battery and a decreased emphasis on rudimental drumming

big shift in drum books when they moved them off the 50

I agree. They did change the game for visuals..and still do.

Having marched in the 80's, the "Z" pull was the most talked about single thing during the decade. If you could tally up the conversations about drum corps somehow, I'm sure that would be number one. No single drill move, then or since, has created more of a stir or harkened a bigger sea-change in the activity. There have been great moves and incredibly inventive moves since, but nothing as big or impactive, especially for the times.

Edited by MilesandCassius