If all the Texas talent stayed in Texas

Crossmen need a new drill designer if they ever want to play with the big boys as they move up through the ranks. Doesn't matter if they got all the talent in the world.

All other captions, I think they are good to go. But it depends on the tech staff also. I know brass and guard they are good. Not sure about the rest yet.

So, the judges are judging the staffs? and not the members? hmmmm

That is an insanely oversimplified way of putting it. Judges just performances AND how effective a design is. Members perform a show that is designed 100% for them by staff, and staff also know how to clean the show, when to clean what sections, how and when to make necessary changes, etc. Staff set a daily schedule that will best utilize the time they have, in order to clean and/or change sections in order to maximize their time in rehearsal.

So yes, in a way, judges judge staffs. I would stipulate that if you took, say, Crossmen's staff (both design and instructional) from 2012 and put them with Blue Devils, Blue Devils would likely NOT win DCI. They would still place high due to the competence of the staff and the proficiency of the members, but Crossmen's current staff has yet to prove that they can produce a Championship caliber show.

• Like 1

here's my opinion... if BD's staff went to Crossmen for a year, with the same kids, the corps would probably finish top 5-ish... If the BD staff stayed for 5 years, Crossmen would probably win.

honestly I think staff makes that big a difference. There is a reason why staff float around and change corps all the time (except at a couple corps). Because they haven't quite figured out what is needed to win. It's rough for corps in this range, because one bad year can set you back quite a bit (see Crossmen 2009). The problem with 2009 wasn't the talent level or the execution, it was the poor show design. Just like the Cavaliers in 2012 (I think someone already mentioned them in this thread).

And my post is not meant to be a knock on the staff at Crossmen. They are doing great things for the corps. I'm just trying to say that only a few staffs have cracked the winning code in DCI (even Crown hasn't done it)... the others have no hope. They can still move up, and the corps can battle and swap with other corps that have comparably designed shows, but you won't be anywhere close to winning.

Edited by soccerguy315

I'd say no. Talent is "overrated", and means little if not used effectively. What really makes the difference is a specific kind of effort-deliberate practice that few corps pursue. So, I'm with the camp that believes staff _does_ make a difference.

So, the judges are judging the staffs? and not the members? hmmmm

No... I am sure that some staffs are able to get more out of the very same performers than another staff would be able to get. Not all staffs use the same techniques or even posess the same skill sets. Some have the passion without all the nuts and bolts behind them... others have the nuts and bolts without the passion. Then every once in a while you find the staff that has it all!

Just like in every other aspect of the world... 80% of achievment is obtained by 5% of those saying they seek achievment. But some are really just saying it or doing what they believe will get them achievment. Very few are actually able to achieve. This is why in sales, 80% of the commissions are generated by 5% of the salespeople. Everyone else clammors for their fair share of the 20% that is left over.

Honestly, it's possible for anyone to win. Look at the Cavaliers. They've won a bunch of times, and this last year they placed kinda low.

I think the biggest factor is show design. The year after PR won, they got 9th with 'The Red Violin'. The kids can be the most talented in the world, but if the show doesn't work well, it won't score high. Also, as someone said earlier, it could work the other way. If the show is perfect, but the kids aren't good enough, it won't score as high as it could.

Just like in every other aspect of the world... 80% of achievment is obtained by 5% of those saying they seek achievment. But some are really just saying it or doing what they believe will get them achievment. Very few are actually able to achieve. This is why in sales, 80% of the commissions are generated by 5% of the salespeople. Everyone else clammors for their fair share of the 20% that is left over.

I thought the rule was 80/20...

Okay. I've heard all your theories. But let's say they have the best talent in the world and the staff (that they have currently) cracks the magic code and writes the perfect show... and remember some of these guys have been doing this for 30 years, they are bound to crack the code, right?

And honestly, the most boring thing about DCI is that it's predictible. I can't wait to see what all the corps have in store for 2013.

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1